276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Tornado: In the Eye of the Storm

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Tornado Times - 1991-1999 Peace Dividends White Paper, Operation Provide Comfort, Iraq-Southern Watch Operation Jural, Operation Desert Fox (1998), NATO Operation Allied Force-Yugoslavia. I have always been interested in the environment, ever since I studied Human Ecology under Professor Roger Revelle at Harvard. Several summer jobs in the Arctic with the Geological Survey of Canada gave me an early appreciation of what climate change meant for the polar region, and a more recent visit to Greenland brought the environmental devastation there more into focus. Also, having escaped from Communist Hungary in 1956, I have keenly followed Russia and its superpower ambitions, so it was natural for me to combine these two areas of interest into an environmental thriller. I am now writing a sequel, Arctic Inferno. Today, we're faced with massive shifts in the environment that challenge who we are as humans. Scientists have proposed that we have left the Holocene and entered the Anthropocene, the Age of Humans, to mark the significance of our increasingly dominant role in a changing environment. But the problem right now is that we are having trouble seeing the future that is revealing itself because we continue to see it in our old ways of knowing. The books I have chosen show us the world that is coming. My hope is that, where some will resist the message of scientists, more may be swayed by writers, painters, photographers, musicians, and filmmakers.

The Tri-State tornado of 1925 remains the deadliest tornado in US history, and author Geoff Partlow follows its devastating path from town to town in America’s Deadliest Twister. Travelling through southeast Missouri, southern Illinois and southwestern Indiana along 219 miles, it generated winds of 300mph and killed 695 people. Nichol tells his own story of having to eject from a Tornado after the one he was navigating with pilot, John Peters, was hit by a shoulder-launched SA-14 surface-to-air missile over Iraq. They, like others, were captured by the Iraqis and tortured. The book veers to this many times. The Tornados themselves were built to fly low and deliver a devastating payload but Saddam’s anti-aircraft missiles actually did a lot of the devastating it seems.Cover yourself with the pillows, blankets, and sleeping bags. If there’s a sturdy piece of furniture, like a table, crawl under it.

There is something about a 'happily ever after' that, no matter how hard it is to get there, it is so satisfying when you do. If there is a little humor mixed in with mystery that can take your emotions on a rollercoaster, that’s all the better. I decided to write romance because I do believe in fairy tales. I believe love is a choice. You make it what you want. I am a romantic suspense author because I love the thrill of solving the crime. In many cases, truth is stranger than fiction. Many times I use real-life issues and moments in time in my writing to pique the readers' curiosity. This may well be John Nichol's best book so far and stands both as a vivid account of the Desert Storm air campaign and as a tribute to the role played by Tornado, and the men and women who flew and maintained her. He clearly has a large measure of affection for this aircraft, and it is a real shame that unlike Spitfire and other historical aircraft, it is unlikely that Tornado will ever fly again. If weather conditions are right for a tornado to form, experts issue a tornado watch for a region, like a county or large part of a state. This doesn't mean that a tornado is on the way. But it could be—meteorologists issue the watch so people can be prepared.Fantastic book. Written by a man with first hand experience of the Gulf War and who was captured by the enemy. I'm the wrong reader for this book, I don't like reading about how the Iraqis tortured aircrew, I really just want to read about flying, I also didn't like the hyperbole about the Tornado, it's never been one of my favorites. Read here why the Tornado was a mistake:

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment