276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Auschwitz Photographer: The powerful true story of Wilhelm Brasse prisoner number 3444

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

This article was amended on 20 October 2022 to correct some misspellings of Paul Salmons’ last name. I hadn't thought of the book from that class until I started this book. Brasse was a prisoner, himself. Burdened with taking pictures of those he knew were destined to die. His photography training and his ability to speak German literally saved his life. I can't begin to imagine what kind of nightmares Wilhelm went through and what kind of ghosts haunted him. His pictures still exist and will be etched into history, much like the anatomy book above, giving voice to the innocent victims. I will never forget how painful it still is to this day for people to even think of viewing images of the hand-drawn anatomy book by Eduard Pernkopf. The sad and disgusting truth of it is that the images that are so intricately detailed are those of holocaust victims. As a librarian, we discussed this book in class because it's a controversial topic, using such a vile piece of history to the benefit of modern-day science. I won't forget how students in the class had to ask the Professor to move past the slides depicting images from the book because it was too painful to view knowing the history behind it. Rees, Laurence. Auschwitz: A New History. PublicAffairs, 2006. ISBN 1-58648-357-9 (10). ISBN 978-1-58648-357-9 (13). Google Books. Retrieved 29 August 2008. (Provides hyperlinked "Preview".) [Companion book for Auschwitz: Inside the Nazi State.] Based on the powerful true story of Auschwitz prisoner number 3444 Wilhelm Brasse, whose photographs helped to expose the atrocities of the Holocaust.

There’s nothing clandestine about these images” said Salmons. “What we’re seeing in these images is the gaze of the killer. When we see people arriving or being sorted, what we’re seeing is what they want us to see – an efficient process, something they’re proud of.” I do note that certain people mentioned in the book as being part of the resistance were not part of Primo Levi's first person account of his survival in another of the subcamps of Auschwitz. The present book doesn't really explain that the camp was huge, like a city, and there were lots of enclaves and areas where the prisoners were working for particular German firms, for example. So a particular individual who somehow manages to be married in the camp but later comes to grief was not universally known there for his heroism: things seem to have been more 'local' than comes across in this book. Some of the photos are included at the conclusion of the book. Many of these photographs are now included in exhibits at both the Auschwitz-Birkenau State Museum and also at the Yad Vashem Photo Archive in Jerusalem. A number of surviving photographs documenting Holocaust atrocities were used as evidence during post war trials of Nazi war crimes, such as the Nuremberg trials. [5] They have been used as symbolic, impactful evidence to educate the world about the true nature of Nazi atrocities. [6] [8]The Auschwitz Photographer is told like a fiction story, but the entire thing is real. It is the story of Wilhelm Brasse, a polish political prisoner held at Auschwitz Concentration Camp from 1940-1945. He as Aryan too, but refused to join the German’s, held true to his Polish lineage, and was a prison. Fortunately for him, he had a talent that kept him on the nicer end of things at Auschwitz, which isn’t saying much, but it helped keep him alive to one day return to his family and helped document things we never would have seen had he not. As a photographer, he was recruited to photograph prisons, SS crew, and more.

For those of you who loved The Tattooist of Auschwitz, Cilka’s Journey, or Man’s Search for Meaning, I’ve got another incredible war story to break your heart. Popular Photography". Popular Photography: World's Largest Imaging Magazine: 18. December 1994. ISSN 1542-0337.Wilhelm Brasse was born on 3 December 1917 to a descendant of Austrian settlers and a Polish mother in Żywiec, in the Partitioned Poland. His father was a Polish soldier in the Polish–Soviet War of 1919–1921. [2] [5] Wilhelm was sent to Auschwitz from Poland at the very start of the war, and his talent as a photographer kept him alive. Every new entrant into the camp passed through his photography booth, and through his lens, he stared death in the face many times. Brasse has left us with a powerful legacy in images. Because of them we can see the victims of the Holocaust as human and not statistics.' Fergal Keane Read more Look Inside Details

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment