276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Lucinda Brayford (Classic Australian Works)

£11.5£23.00Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

RESTORATION AUSTRALIA” on ABC TV: Castlecrag – Annette and Michael Pitman’s Quest to Preserve Walter Burley-Griffin’s Vision Lucinda Brayford, made in 1980 and based on the novel by Martin Boyd Brayford tells the story of Lucinda Vane who marries aide de camp to the Governor of Melbourne Hugo Brayford but has things turn sour on her when the couple move to England just after the end of world war one. In a sense, the novel is the biography of Lucinda Brayford; descriptions of the generations preceding hers serve to establish the context of her life. As well, various social conflicts are expressed in her life when she marries into a titled family and her wealth and prestige give way to the changing times. p. 55-59 ) The Search for a Colonial Metropolis : Martin Boyd and the Myth of the Noble Settler Frank Davidson,

Lusting for London : Australian Expatriate Writers at the Hub of Empire, 1870-1950 2011 ; (p. 165-186 ) Abstract ‘”My inner division, if I have one, is the age-long one of the European, between Mediterranean and the north.” With this uncompromising sentence the novelist Martin Boyd (1893-1972) elided Australia from his own history. He repudiated the assumption that expatriation was significant to him because, quite simply, it was not his condition. We note Boyd’s personal geographical orientation. He sees the “division” entirely from the perspective of a European. Australians, it implies, may have issues of identity, but deciding whether their spiritual homeland is north or south of the Alps cannot be one of them.’ (Author’s introduction 165) The Dear Old Mother Country : Richardson's the Way Home and Stead's For Love Alone Peter Morton, Wendy Hughes is without doubt one of Australia’s great beauties and has proven her ability as an actress in numerous films and long-running television series. She performs her level best as the beautiful and tragic Lucinda, but the truncation of the story means ultimately that the workings of Lucinda’s mind and heart remain amystery.Hugo Brayford, Lucinda’s husband, an English gentleman. Hugo emerges as a stereotypical British aristocrat: handsome and gallant, shallow and idle, doing nothing except hunting and socializing. His long-standing affair with another woman and the war injury that leaves his face deformed strongly affect the way Lucinda’s outlook on life develops. Lucinda proves herself to be a modern independent woman though and despite the trial thrown at her manages to overcome them. A straight forward story well told Lucinda Brayford and lead Wendy Hughes is first class, she ages throughout the production from 18 to 45 and there is also an early role for the brilliant Sam Neill. p. 4-13 ) On Native Grounds : Australian Writing from Meanjin Quarterly 1967 ; (p. 95-104 ) Lucinda Brayford : Martin Boyd (1893-1972) Jane Gleeson-White,

The book starts out in the 1850s. We're introduced to William Vane (lucindas grandfather) who has to move from England to Australia after he develops and unsavory reputation. There he marries a rich woman and has a son named Fred. Fred grows up to marry Julie, the daughter of Williams old English enemy. Upon the return of their honeymoon they find that William has died leaving nothing but debt behind. Fred and Julie start out their marriage terribly poor and unhappy and from there the book follows them as they struggle to build their fortune and Julie climbs her way to the top of the social ladder.dir. John Gauci ) Australia: ABC Television, 1980 Z1037663 1980 series - publisher film/TV Abstract Pat Lanfranc, Lucinda’s lover. He is a good-looking young army officer from an Irish family and is far more sensitive than Lucinda’s husband. When Hugo dies, Pat refuses to marry Lucinda, thus all but extinguishing her illusions. This is an absolute stunning story that has blown me away. It took me over a month to finish it because I didn't want it to end. Martin Boyd is such a beautiful and talented writer that I felt I was actually there, I felt like I had been consumed into the book and I fell so in love with these characters and felt the pain of their heartbreak and struggles. Fast forward to their second child, Lucinda, on the eve of her 18th birthday, experiencing her first romance, and then her marriage to English man Hugo Brayford. We follow the couple to England where the rest of the book takes place and the plot focuses on Hugo's family, lucindas social life which becomes somewhat of a prison, their infidelity, and WWI. The majority of the book focuses on these events. Writer: Cliff Green / Novel: Martin Boyd / Design: Alwyn Harbott, Bob Walters / Executive Producer: Oscar Whitbread / Producer and Director: John Gauci

Australian Classics : Fifty Great Writers and Their Celebrated Works 2007 ; (p. 118-122 ) The Outlook and Morals of an Ancient Greek Robert Darby, Paul Brayford, Hugo’s elder brother. Paul, eccentric and tedious as a young man, even more so when older, is generally undistinguished and somewhat crabbed in appearance. His interminable pronouncements on the superiority of the British aristocracy, on art, and on the downfall of Western civilization serve to highlight Lucinda’s moral and spiritual disintegration. Marian Brayford, Arthur’s wife. Like her husband, she typifies the British gentry who live anachronistic lives on their decaying estates. Marian, a plain woman in appearance, is solid, outspoken, and confident of her place as the lady of the manor. She is the antithesis to the would-be aristocrat Lucinda.Lusting for London : Australian Expatriate Writers at the Hub of Empire, 1870-1950 2011 ; (p. 133-163 ) The Silver Age of Fiction Peter Pierce, Interviewed for the Australian Women's Weekly, producer Oscar Whitbread noted, 'Australia's society, especially Melbourne' aristocracy, has never really been properly depicted on television. [...] The ultra rich ARE different. Lucinda Brayford is an accurate portrayal of the 'beautiful people' as they existed 50 years ago, with all their elegance and impeccable manners' (Wed. 11 June 1980, p.138S).

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment