276°
Posted 20 hours ago

My Name'5 DODDIE: The Autobiography

£10£20.00Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Doddie Weir, with Mavis on his lap and Xena alongside his mobility scooter, has struggled to walk since a fall 15 months ago. She said the service, which has just concluded at Melrose Parish Church, gave everyone attending a chance to pay their respects. When people eventually asked if they could free their hands Weir, with a trademark grin, would not give them permission. It is why the My Name’5 Doddie Foundation has been such a success and hopefully will continue to be. Doddie Weir of Scotland on the charge for Scotland in victory over Wales at Murrayfield in the 1995 Five Nations.

Doddie Weir legacy will be to find a cure for MND - BBC News Doddie Weir legacy will be to find a cure for MND - BBC News

As his speech declines he sometimes uses a voice app, Eyegaze, which allows him to stare at a screen and pick out individual letters to type words and sentences slowly. When Boris talked about transforming the fight against MND we believed him, he gave us some hope, but the money needs to be made accessible. All the players’ wives and partners were included at the emotional gathering in Stratford-upon-Avon which meant Tom Smith’s widow, Zoe, was also there. John Jeffrey said he was simply "a legend" while his three sons recited a fitting poem to their father - the man once dubbed a "mad giraffe" for his unique playing style. It gives Doddie so much more independence,” Kathy says, “and it means I can go outside and he can send a message saying: ‘Can I have a Guinness?

Doddie had an amazing life, it was action packed full of fun, lots of adventure and lots of love," he says. Your muscles in your legs disappear, you can’t walk, you can’t eat and then your muscles within your speech disappear, you can’t speak, you can’t swallow, you can’t breathe so it is horrific what happens and eventually you need help everywhere. Then you realised that was because he was pushing opponents into areas where they had no space to work. Doddie Weir's sons are fittingly wearing tartan suits, a statement that was their father's trademark.

Doddie Weir: ‘The government has not given motor neurone Doddie Weir: ‘The government has not given motor neurone

We went to Geneva about a month ago,” he says, “and a lot of my friends made a huge effort to get me there. When I was playing rugby and in business [installing septic tanks] I always thought of it as a game of chess. As a friend, player, farmer, Kelso boy and a trustee of the My Name'5 Doddie foundation, the two men shared a lot in common.

We will continue to bring you all the tributes from the service at Melrose Parish Church and beyond.

Doddie Weir : A complete revelation on the Former Scottish Doddie Weir : A complete revelation on the Former Scottish

He says he never changed and has been an absolute pest through his treatment and to medics and scientists. His speech is now badly affected by the disease and I sometimes have to ask him to repeat himself or Kathy explains what he has just said. Former Scotland international John Jeffrey - famously known throughout his career as JJ - is next with his tribute. Doddie’s voice began to waver when he spoke of having to discuss with them the do not resuscitate form he has just signed.Jeffrey becomes emotional as he describes a difficult recent meeting on the future of the foundation post-Doddie. Jeffrey relives fundraising efforts which Doddie Weir's friends made to take care of his family following his diagnosis. This book is another piece of the jigsaw so to speak, and hopefully a spotlight on what MND sufferers face and feel. Scotland internationalist Doddie Weir choked back tears as he spoke about the progression of his motor neurone disease. That others have gone public with their diagnosis had brought our plight to a much greater audience.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment