276°
Posted 20 hours ago

DOG SOLDIERS 2002 4 R24752 A1 Poster on Photo Paper - Glossy Thick (33/24 inch) (84/59 cm) - Film Movie Posters Wall Decor Art Actor Actress Gift Anime Auto Cinema Room Wall Decoration

£13.5£27.00Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

NEW 4K Restoration from The Original Camera Negative By Second Sight Films – Approved by Director Neil Marshall And Director Of Photography Sam McCurdy I think there’s two kinds of films, something that has a big splash when they open, and then they fade into obscurity, or films that have a life that just keep on going and people keep on talking about them. I think maybe what makes ‘Dog Soldiers’ so appealing is not necessarily universal, but it’s kind of timeless. Sausages: The Making of Dog Soldiers is a gold standard in film journalism and is absolutely essential for any fan of the movie as well as being highly recommended for anyone with an interest in low-budget film-making. Buy it now.”— Horror DNA

The very first thing that immediately stood out during my first viewing of Dog Soldiers was the uncharacteristic design of werewolves–not as bulky clumps of never-ending fur so much as thin, graceful creatures exuding an obvious air of pure dread. “A friend of mine drew a sketch in a pub one afternoon of a werewolf and that design ended up being what we followed all the way through,” Marshall said in an interview given to Through The Trees magazine. “I had given him a list of what I wanted, it was: two legs, looking as much like a wolf as possible. He combined the two in this incredibly elegant, lithe, almost feminine looking creature and it was almost beautiful, I loved it. That was passed on to the werewolf designers, Bob Keen and his team, who took that and refined it and enhanced it. It was a long process and it wasn’t cheap, and it did eat a chunk of our budget, but it was worth it to do it practically.” I wanted to make a werewolf movie, a soldier movie, and a film set in Scotland.” This was Neil Marshall’s simplified summary of the initial motivation that led him to the creation of Dog Soldiers, once a refreshing low-budget horror movie with a clear comedic substance, now a beloved cult classic. Almost two decades after its initial release, Dog Soldiers remains not only one of the most impressive feature film directorial debuts, but an altogether imposing horror movie that passes the test of time with flying colors. With the beautiful 4K restoration by Vertigo Releasing and the upcoming Second Sights Films 4K and Blu-ray edition, the film’s surprising life span is further extended and new fans are bound to join the horde. Neil Marshall discusses why he opted for practical effects and steered clear from CGI when creating the stunningly haunting antagonists of Dog Soldiers. To celebrate the upcoming theatrical release of DOG SOLDIERS – in selected cinemas from 23rd October – we’re giving away a poster.Janine Pipe wrote a brilliant book that chronicles the story of Dog Soldiers and fits perfectly on the shelves of proud fans of Marshall’s debut. In his fantastic conversation with The Filmmaker’s Guide to the Galaxy, Neil Marshall talks about his major filmmaking influences, his passion about monster and action movies, love of practical effects and much more.

British cinematographer Sam McCurdy, BSC has worked with Neil Marshall on numerous films and even high-praised TV episodes, but the collaboration started right here on Dog Soldiers. In a great talk with Nerds and Beyond, the cinematographer shed some light on his influences and beginnings in the business. The result is one of the loudest, goriest, and unexpectedly funniest werewolf movies ever made.”— Den of Geek A 19-minute “making of” feature taken from the DVD issue. Several very cool interviews with Neil Marshall and the principal cast of Dog Soldiers. NEW 4K Restoration from The Original Camera Negative By Second Sight Films – Approved by Director Neil Marshall And Director Of Photography Sam McCurdy – Presented In Dolby VisionThe film ends with a massive explosion that destroys the Scottish farmhouse. I felt this best achieved as a scale model. A perfect 3ft (1m) high replica was built in the Luxembourg studios of the house, the surrounding forest and half destroyed yellow Land Rover outside. Five cameras caught the explosion, some over-cranked to show the event in slow-motion. Dynamic angles were chosen to increase the drama to the extent of some debris hitting the camera lens.”— Simon Bowles Dog Soldiers remains his most potent distillation of taut action, unrelenting horror, and gallows humor, though. Plus, at a time when digital effects were becoming the norm rather than the exception, his insistence on using practical creatures all the way through lends them real heft and a sense of menace that’s missing from most subsequent attempts to bring werewolves to the big screen on a decent budget. The lycanthropes in Dog Soldiers aren’t out to fall in love or fight vampires or be part of a shared monster universe. They just hunt, kill, and eat—and look scary-good doing it.”— The Dissolve Things are getting hairy as Vertigo Releasing re-release the classic British troops-versus-werewolves horror DOG SOLDIERS, with a superb 4K restoration, and stunning, newly-commissioned promotional artwork by legendary illustrator Chris Malbon. Deleted scenes and gag reel from the DVD edition. Nice to see some laughter in such dire (wolf) moments of life-ending tension. Another reason Dog Soldiers functions as well as it does is the fact that Marshall gathered a respectable acting crew eager to participate in shooting the film precisely because it just sounded as such damn fun. Sean Pertwee, one of the leads, liked the script so much he told Marshall to feel free to use his name anywhere he pleases in the process of closing the financial construction. “And sure enough three years later, Chris Figg and Neil rang me up and said ‘We’re on, we start in two weeks!’” Pertwee remembered. Great atmosphere behind the scenes naturally led to inspired performances in front of the camera. “There was such a camaraderie within that group of actors,” Marshall explained. “I swear to God, those guys would have fought and died for each other by the end of that film. They were so tight knit as a group of friends and a group of actors and colleagues. I think Sean helped create that. He was a big part of that.”

This film wasn’t like anything we’ve seen before. A huge part of its originality stemmed from the very choice of its subject. In the process of developing the story, Marshall was adamant about steering clear of the exhausted trope of how being a werewolf was a tragic experience, a terrible curse that causes suffering and misery. In Dog Soldiers, werewolves aren’t presented as damned human beings struggling under the weight of their doomed destiny–they are ruthless, bloodthirsty killing machines, functioning as a sort of super soldiers against whom our protagonists stand little to no chance. They are the unfathomable vicious forces creeping in from the darkness, which makes Dog Soldiers not so much a movie about werewolves, as it’s often classified, but rather a movie about strong, appealing and humorous human characters. Putting these people under the spotlight enables us to connect more passionately with the story, and the emotional investment logically makes the experience of watching all the more immersive and enjoyable. “It’s always about the characters,” Marshall later told The Hollywood News. “I mean, people love the werewolves, they say it’s a great werewolf movie, but I think it’s the characters they prefer.” The filmmaker explained his approach to the subject in a conversation with Den of Geek. “I didn’t want to do the classic Curse of the Werewolf story, which is essentially what all werewolf films had been up until that point. I wanted to do essentially Aliens with werewolves, in which they’re just a ferocious enemy and really difficult to kill, and who they are as people is irrelevant.” So, is this version of Dog Soldiers the best it could ever be? No. Of course not. If we had the negative and a shit-load of cash we could have done a lot better. Is it the best it could be under the circumstances? Yes. Will it appeal to everybody? No. But that’s movies for you!

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment