276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Mantic Games WD001 - Walking Dead - all Out War - Tabletop Zombie Game - Includes 28mm Miniatures x18

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

So, many months on from playing my first game and many, many games later I feel I am finally ‘qualified’ to write this The Walking Dead All Out War game review. Hope you enjoy it… What’s in the box? Victory usually revolves around who can grab the most supply counters or who can kill every member of the opposing group of survivors, but you can make up your own conditions or ‘missions’. We tend to play with an odd number of supply tokens on the board and when you collect a majority you then have to also make it off the board safely from the side that you started on. There is a gaming mat in the box for you to play on but as you get more used to the game you will want to perhaps play on a bigger surface and add more scenery elements. Barricades and buldings from other tabletop games work perfectly well, as do some toy model cars if the scale is about right. Mantic have produced a scenery booster set which adds 3D cars and barricades and these are very good also. So too is the deluxe gaming mat accessory which is the same as the one in the box but made out of mousemat material instead of paper. The Walking Dead can be credited for revitalising the zombie genre when it appeared first as a celebrated comic and then as the long-running TV show reusing characters and recognisable narratives from the comic. The continuing narrative, focusing on a central group of survivors from the Atlanta area of the States, challenged what we would expect; here the zombies, or Walkers to those familiar with the mythos, were not villains here. Instead the regular challenges facing the survivors is the regular discovery of other groups of survivors willing to do anything to survive and scavenge the last remaining resources of food and firearms. All Survivors start with three health and if you want to increase that, you’ll need to add some extra points. The maximum is eight health points, which costs a whopping 20 points! We’re opting for a fairly decent five health points, which costs an extra five points. This means we’re currently sitting on a total of 35 points. The core gameplay revolves around each player taking turns to activate their miniatures and perform various actions with them. The player who holds initiative starts and activates one model. This model can perform two actions from a small list of options (move, shoot, search, hide, etc) and then the other player does the same with a model. Players take it in turns like this until all of the survivor models have had their turn. Once all of the survivor models have had their go then the game turn moves into the ‘Event Phase’.

Players alternate moving their figures using the bundled range ruler, choosing to sneak or run. As you might expect, running causes noise, which attracts unoccupied walkers within a set distance. The final step is perhaps one of the most enjoyable because you add any special abilities for your Survivor. This is a great opportunity to imagine how they fit into the world of The Walking Dead. Are they a cold-hearted killer? Are they a seasoned fighter? Has the horror of seeing so many people killed by Walkers sent them over the edge? You can really get under the skin of the Survivor you’re making. A key driver to making zombie entertainment so popular was The Walking Dead TV series, which was very loosely based on The Walking Dead comic/graphic novels by Robert Kirkman. I could talk about George Romero and Shaun of the Dead forever but for once I am going to stay on topic. Starting, now. In 2020 there are so many wonderful games out there, so many demands on our time and wallet that means that the hobby space is bigger than ever but also it is brutal for new games to find an audience.Custom expansions are created by myself and "Mantic's The Walking Dead - Finishing the Story" Facebook Group. A: There will be multiple copies of equipment cards. Anything that is needed frequently (ammo reloads, bandages, basic weapons, gory clothing…) you will get a few copies of, but only one of the rarer stuff. I went ahead and decided to work on an English version with some quality of life improvements since it seemed highly requested. I've scanned all of my cards from my own personal collection, as well as what I could gather from others of the All Out War community. I will continue to update this with more expansions and boosters, as well as custom content.

Naturally, since the announcement, there have been people online trying to dump their collections. While I am a little sad that there will be no Commonwealth models, or various other bits and pieces, I am happy to have a “closed” system. As someone that collects and plays Kings of War, KOW Armada, Deadzone, Fallout Wasteland Warfare and The Elder Scrolls, it is handy to have a game that is “complete”. There is a completely different feeling to a game when the obligation to “keep up” with purchasing new releases or reading errata ends. What we have now, will always remain so. What is dead can never die Q: Will the cards in this game be one of the industry standard sizes so we can get card sleeves to fit? The second action of a character’s turn can be used to rummage for supplies or fire a gun, if they have one. This plays off the element of noise, causing a more widespread ‘mayhem’ effect, which draws every zombie on the board towards their position and ups the overall threat level. With guns proving more deadly against the living and dead alike, it makes firing a shot a risky move that can happen in times of desperation or confidence only, rather than every turn. This is intensified by the role of ammo – after firing a shot, the player roll a die to see if the gun is out of ammo. If it is, they’ll need to scavenge for more before they reload. Zombies automatically shamble a fixed distance in a straight line until they encounter a survivor or wander into an obstacle, such as a car or barricade, several of which come included in 2D card form with the core set. It’s a nice little touch that helps the undead seem truly brainless, and allows for tactical use of noise-making – you can run to lure walkers into combat with enemy survivors or away from your own team. I am sure it could have been a perfectly good competitive game, but for whatever reason, I have always seen it as a narrative game (i.e., as the game unfolds, my friend and I are more interested in telling a cinematic horror story, rather than worrying about who “wins” a game). As I get older, I find myself finding the idea of a binary “win” or “loss” on something that is purely designed to be a fun thing, to be a bit odd. This came to a head, at a local game store at the end of last year as I gave a demo game of Deadzone to someone who was desperately trying to “win” the demo of me trying to show him how the game works, and why it’s fun.A: Zombies are 15 points, so in a 150pt game you will start with 10 on the table. When we hit the prison we will add in some slightly more expensive zombies in riot gear… From Mantic Games The Walking Dead Call To Arms is the Skirmish miniatures game based on the comic book franchise. Example scenarios will be included in the Organised Play kit but why wait… why not see what you can do and share it in the Walking Dead Fanatics Facebook group? Q: I know you currently don’t have rules for inside buildings but are considering it. Obviously most of the rules will be the same as outside for moving, melee, etc. But a couple rules for buildings will be needed.

A: The red dice are (blank, blank, 1, 1, 1, 2), then the white dice are (blank, 1, 1, 1, 2, 2!), and then the blues are (1, 1, 2, 2, 2!, 3!). The exclamation points are headshots. There is an action dice with 3 stars and 3 blanks which is used for all the 50/50 decisions and lots of other special rules. This expansion builds upon the rules set out in Prelude to Woodbury and introduces rules for battling an opposing team of Survivors to your solo games. The opposing team can be set up exactly as if you were playing a PvP game of All Out War, using basic AI to determine how the opponent’s Survivors will behave. HERE’S NEGANSorry, couldn’t keep a straight face. Nobody likes Carl :-P. I think Tyreese is really cool early on, and then later in the story there are some great villains. Negan and Alpha of course, and Gregory’s a sneaky bastard too.

The unique feature of The Walking Dead: All Out War is the role of the walkers on the game board. At times, if you plan your moves correctly they can be your best weapon against your opponent but they can also be the most devastating curve ball that will be thrown at you. Instead of this just being a player versus player tabletop game the random nature of the walkers means that you always have to keep an eye on them and consider the consequences of any actions that you are about to take. If we were creating a Runner, it’s likely we would have had more, because they would be dashing across the playing area to grab as many supplies as possible.All Out War Game Jam - A contest where aspiring and professional game developers make a video game in 2 weeks. Set in the same world as The Walking Dead: All Out War, Call to Arms represents larger scale conflicts. The lone travelers struggling to survive in what’s left of the world have now formed communities, built walls, and gathered arms. However, the harsh conditions outside their walls have led these groups to fear the outside world. They see other groups as a threat to their very existence – no longer are the dead the only ones to fear… The Walking Dead: Call to Arms is a totally new way to play The Walking Dead! Use your existing miniatures from All Out War to create large-scale clashes in a Walker-infested world."

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment