276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Please Mr Panda

£3.995£7.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

When someone shows kindness, what do we say and do? What are the best ways to respectfully ask others for something? It takes practice to know when to say please and thank you to others. These Please, Mr. Panda activities will give students plenty of practice in politeness. Use different coloured playdough to make a tray of doughnuts, talk about the actions you are doing to shape the dough and the different colours while you are making them together. Act out the story A sleepy-eyed panda bearing a tray of doughnuts offers them to a variety of animals. However, their eager replies elicit a negative response from Mr Panda. Why should this be? A lively lemur comes up with the right reply. A reminder about good manners is presented with more than a touch of wry humour, especially at the dénouement. When children know the story well they might like to join in when you read the story, perhaps being Mr Panda while you read the parts of the naughty animals who don’t say please. It doesn’t matter if their version is slightly different from the text in the book. Tell the story But what I've loved the most is when people have that lightbulb moment and'get' the story, especially at events - which can be really fun. The responses have ranged from complete befuddlement to laugh-out-loud hysteria.But one thing is for sure,Mr Panda always gets his point across - which is,if you want one of hisdoughnuts, you had better sayPLEASE!

Please Mr Panda | BookTrust Please Mr Panda | BookTrust

The lemur already knows what to say. He doesn’t have to be prompted. This is when I wish I had a child here to see what they thought of this book. But I don’t. I love that Mr. Panda is giving away the doughnuts because he does not like doughnuts. That was fun. You remember that pandas only eat bamboo. But is it fair for Mr. Panda to withdraw the doughnuts when “please” and “thank you” are not said? Please Mr Panda' (or 'Please, Mr. Panda') is available in the States, Canada, UK, Australia and lots of other countries. It'll be translated into several languages, including French, Japanese, Portuguese, Spanish and Korean. These activities can be used by the whole group, at stations or centers, or provide student choice. They’re perfect for differentiation and focusing on specific learning goals and skills.The no-prep book activities are the perfect complement to Please Mr. Panda Novel Effect read-alouds. In addition to practicing politeness through literacy skills, these activities will keep students engaged. With these activities, students will be able to:

Please, Mr. Panda by Steve Antony | Goodreads Please, Mr. Panda by Steve Antony | Goodreads

The pictures are kind of disturbing. Mr. Panda has no affect. He looks bored the whole time he's playing these mind games. I suspect he might be a sociopath. Sometimes I wish I taught elementary. Mostly because of books like this. https://t.co/k9sYKDjZ4Q #pleasemrpanda #scholastic— K.Vann (@Kris10Vann) February 22, 2015 But it seems as though Mr Panda is not just for the kids. 'Please Mr Panda' was voted 'book of the year' by a high school in the States. Here's an interview where I talk about how being red-green colour-deficient hasheavily influenced the way in which I approach colour for all of my books, including 'Please Mr Panda'. I never imagined in a million years that Mr. Panda would star in his very own series of books! I wrote Please, Mr. Pandaa year after being made redundant from a call centre. In fact, if I hadn’t been made redundant the Please, Mr. Pandaprobably wouldn’t exist. The book wasn’t even called Please, Mr. Pandato begin with. It was called Would You Like a Doughnut?I’ve actually just finished the 5th Mr. Pandapicture book. I don’t think I’ll ever get bored of Mr. Panda because he’s such a funny character to develop. He’s grumpy-looking yet really generous. He’s big and gruff yet wears pink frilly aprons. He isn’t perfect, yet he tries his best to teach manners in his own unique (and somewhat unorthodox) way. Plus, he has the best fans. There is another way at looking at this. It makes a great opportunity for discussion with children. I think this book goes deeper than manners! PLEASE, MR PANDA by @mrsteveantony is an instant favorite. Out now from @scholastic. #tlchat #kidlit https://t.co/1mig5dowDV— Matthew C. Winner (@MatthewWinner) February 2, 2015

lovemybooks | FREE reading resources for parents

Please Mr Panda by Steve Antony is a lovely little story which also helps toddlers and preschool children learn the importance of manners. The illustrations are lovely too. I have two girls who are two and five. My eldest understands and generally has good manners but the youngest is still learning. This book has been great for helping her. The book doesn't actually explain why only the animal that says please gets doughnuts but my 5 year old realised this and each time we read it we explain to our toddler why the rude animals don't get any doughnuts. I think it's starting to help her understand. We've read it a few times now and if you ask her after reading each animal’s reply if they are going to get any doughnuts, she knows if they will or won’t. Total win. We must have reenacted this book for a solid half hour. Of course, I was never Panda, always the hapless animal who was crying because she couldn't have any doughnuts.

Patiently and politely, Mr. Panda asks the animals he comes across if they would like a doughnut. A penguin, a skunk, and a whale all say yes, but they do not remember to ‘please’ and ‘thank you.” Is anyone worthy of Mr. Panda’s doughnuts? After hearing the story a few times, children will get to know it well. Encourage them tell it to you in their own words, with some words or phrases from the story, using the pictures to help them.

Please Mr Panda — Steve Antony Please Mr Panda — Steve Antony

Before you start reading the story, talk about what you can see in the cover illustration. What do children think Mr Panda is holding? Read the story aloud to your child, pausing if children would like to talk about the pictures. Join in Look, saying "please" and "thank you" are polite, and if the animals had encountered Mr. Panda and his box of doughnuts and said, "Give me one right now!", he might've been justified in refusing. But the fact that he offered, and then reneged on the offer when the response didn't meet his own unknowable threshold for politeness, just makes him look rude. (If this were a book for adults, I would suspect that might be the point. You know, an ironic statement about the people who demand etiquette but don't show much themselves. Sadly, I think this book is just a poorly conceived, preachy children's book.)

Follow us

The book'savailable in most bookstores, I think. It's recently been made available in Target in the States. Or you could just buy it onlineor borrow it from your local library.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment