276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Droylsden and Audenshaw (Images of England)

£6.495£12.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

The Marsden family, Brigham St, are still in the area (Fred, John, Elaine, Dave and Glenn) I saw Dave around 12 months past on Ashton Old Road. My first job in 1953 was as a trainee sugar boiler but no not at Podmores in Ashton but at G.W.Laws at 135a Union street. This was a small 3 story factory stituated down the ginnel by the side of 135 Union street. Those of a nervous disposition might find it more comfortable flushing the loo before using it, this should at least give you a head start! Also remember to drop the lid after. We don’t want him getting out and making his way to the larder. I, too have so many happy memories of Ashton. George Osborne’s shop in the market hall, strolls across Henrietta Street to see my Dad's aunt, Marian Hatton, who lived on Alexandra Road, and the iced custard creams and jap cakes from Howarth’s at the corner of Henrietta Street and Penny Meadow. Oh, and Harry Blease’s opticians shop - on the corner of Cork Street and Market Street (I think) - who supplied my first pair of glasses at the age of about 10.

Our Shelly B was the most amazing, loving, selfless and funny daughter, mother, mother-in-law, sister, auntie and most recently a nanna. There were usually dances on at the Town Hall or one of the local youth clubs. A band, “The Bushmen”, a group of Sixth Formers at Ashton Grammar school, were very popular and we’d find out where they were playing so we could follow them. I remember a dance at Audenshaw Grammar School. It was themed as “Finnegan’s Wake” (very literary!) and the band playing that night were Herman and the Hermits! I moved away from Ashton in 1963 with my Wife and family and we have lived in Essex since then. My son and his family live close by in the village where we live. My daughter lives in Hampshire with her partner. and Warrington street. I used to go in there, and for some reason or other, hang the fire tongs on the The worst thing was having some vile tasting medicine every day, with regular weekly throat swabs to see if we were clear of the virus.I had always regarded my life in Openshaw as merely different from what came after, and if I’m honest, I didn’t particularly enjoy living there, and was glad to leave. In recent years, though, I’ve realised that it was a special place in many ways. Ashton-U-Lyne was a world away. Ashton indoor market was my grans treat every six months. I could only look longingly at the toy model shop and dream. They were well above anything we could afford. Droylsden was known as an area for ‘in-breeds’, a terrible slur that grew up falsely with the ‘Clayton Wars’ between rivals gangs at ‘Clayton Tip’. The town has a vibrant local music scene, with various live music venues, ensuring that residents can enjoy diverse musical talents. It has a long-standing tradition of choral singing, with several local choirs that have earned recognition and awards.

The shop on Hovis street is still a shop! Well done the Potters for staring the legacy. (George, Eileen, Ian and Barrie) Gate St is all but gone. A new estate runs along Victoria St. Just a short story about when my mother, brother and I had an unusual day out in the 1970’s. When the producers of a film set in wartime Lancashire were looking for a town in which to film they chose Stalybridge. Maybe you could take offence that the town hadn’t changed much in 35 years but we weren’t all that bothered. The film was called “Yanks” and starred Vanessa Redgrave and Richard Gere (Shame I was only 7 years old!) and we were chosen as “Extras”. When I saw the words to 'We are the two Ashton Mashers', I could hear my Mum & Dad singing it. They are both gone now.

Tameside Memories

which meant we could be a bit further from the action, or reaction if we had to run for it. So, true

Imagine my surprise once inside to see old photographs of St. Gabriel’s. I was even more surprised when I realised I was on one of them – taken during the annual “scholars walk” at Whitsuntide. I remember the dress, white, long, organdie and very itchy. Ugh! I won't write any more now, we will have plenty of time to get into detail, hopefully. I am going to copy this and send it to Colin so that he's in the picture. I remember wonderfully friendly neighbours and being given sixpence by my grandad to spend at the local sweetie shop. I can’t remember the road the shop was on but I do remember walking up harp st to a road that ran directly behind belsize garage and came out near redmonds on ashton old road. The sweet shop was just before you turned onto ashton old road. Mr Lomas also reminded me of the tripe shop on Henrietta Street (Yuk!), Knights fish and chip shop (Yummy!), walking through the Dingle in Stamford Park and, of course, who could forget the tipple lav at 147!The fish and chip shop on the corner of Boodle Street and Turner Lane when fish and chips were cheap. I am sure I can remember a pennyworth of chips or is this just wishfull thinking ? The fish that we had was white salmon as this was the only fish my Mam would eat. It was the nicest fish anyway. The posh folk bought their linen at Leigh and Arden on Stamford Street and then had their coffee and cream cakes at The Lounge. It is a place where creativity flourishes, and the warmth of its residents welcomes all. Explore the serene natural beauty along its canals, cheer for local football legends, savor culinary delights, or find solace in its historic church. Once in school we had a sort of assembly and then the teachers would drag the loud noisy folding partition across the school to form smaller classrooms.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment