276°
Posted 20 hours ago

SAS: Rogue Heroes – the Authorized Wartime History

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

I think ultimately they’re fighting for something that’s bigger than themselves, even though there is a lot of ego involved, narcissism and neurotic behaviours, but they are fighting for a cause that is bigger than themselves and they do so very effectively. It is unknown why the decision was made to deny Paddy Mayne the Victoria Cross, and a controversy that remains ongoing to this day.

Filming has just begun on series two of the hit BBC drama SAS Rogue Heroes, created by Steven Knight and made by Kudos (a Banijay UK company) for the BBC with MGM+. Impeccably researched, superbly told - by far the best book on the SAS in World War II' Antony Beevor Meticulously researched, splendidly told, immensely entertaining and often very moving (John le Carré on 'Agent Zigzag')There was a big prep period for this and I’m really grateful that I got to do it. We had a big rehearsal period before filming which was really helpful for all the guys to really get to know each other and just hash out key scenes in person. The bootcamp was intense - we would start at about 7am when it was already about 30 degrees in Morocco, so you could easily burn and get sun stroke even at that time of day. It was hard – lots of marching around in the sand - but it was fun and a real bonding experience. Reading David Stirling’s autobiography gave me a really great insight into his mind, and reading books about people’s perspective on him was informative. A master at setting the pulse racing, Macintyre relates stories of raw courage and daring by extraordinary men (Tony Rennell Daily Mail) verifyErrors }}{{ message }}{{ /verifyErrors }}{{ Foley, Billy (12 November 2022). "TV review: SAS Rogue Heroes is not to be relied on but it's great fun". The Irish News. Belfast . Retrieved 25 November 2022. SAS Rogue Heroes will air on BBC One and iPlayer in the UK, MGM+ in the United States, and is distributed internationally by Banijay Rights.

In the summer of 1941, at the height of the war in the Western Desert, a bored and eccentric young officer, David Stirling, came up with a plan that was radical and entirely against the rules: a small undercover unit that would inflict mayhem behind enemy lines. Well that’s always very nice to hear! I guess I’m a big believer that when you are on set you are playing. There are so many things that you could get stressed about when you’re filming. I tend not to only because, I suppose fundamentally I do think we are just playing. Paddy Mayne died in a car crash on Tuesday December 13, 1955. When the war came to an end, he returned to his hometown of Newtownards and resumed his work as a solicitor. He also became Secretary of the Law Society of Northern Ireland. SAS: Rogue Heroes was the sixth most-watched UK drama series of 2022, and the fourth most popular of the year on the BBC. [15] Historical accuracy [ edit ] Members of the ' French Squadron SAS' ( 1ere Compagnie de Chasseurs Parachutistes) in Tunisia. Previously a company of Free French paratroopers, the French SAS squadron were the first of a range of units "acquired" by Major Stirling as the SAS expanded. Author Martin Dillon was one of the first to question Mayne's sexuality. He told the Belfast Telegraph "Raising questions about his personal life, and conflicted sexuality, were not intended to besmirch his reputation. As I pointed out, there was no evidence he was a practicing homosexual, but I raised questions about his sexuality, as did some of those who served with him."

Introduction to SAS Rogue Heroes by writer Steven Knight

I had a great voice coach - Brendan Gunn - who I have worked with for a few years. He is from Northern Ireland. I love anything about the SAS, I think it’s fascinating. I’d read the book by Ben Macintyre when it first came out. When Tom Shankland, who I worked with on Les Miserables a few years ago, rang me up and said “I’m doing this, do you want to be involved?” I said, “Yes Thomas - yes I do Shanky!”. a b "First full-length trailer and new pictures released for SAS Rogue Heroes, coming soon to BBC One and iPlayer". BBC Media Centre. 30 September 2022. The narrative begins in a Cairo hospital in 1941, when, after a failed training exercise, British Army officer David Stirling has the idea of creating a special commando unit which could operate deep behind enemy lines. [1] Cast [ edit ] The injustice surrounding the denial of the award was raised as an Early Day Motion before the House of Commons in 2005, and over 100 MPs signed it. King George IV was even quoted in it, who reportedly was open in expressing his surprise that Mayne was downgraded from the Victoria Cross. The government ignored the call to reinstate Mayne with the award, which has again come to the forefront of the public's minds with the release of SAS: Rogue heroes.

Wiseman, Andreas (23 June 2021). " 'Outlander' Star Cesar Domboy Joins Steven Knight Series 'SAS: Rogue Heroes' ". Deadline. It was a ghost regiment, he made it up to scare the Germans and Italians into thinking the Brits had a parachute regiment to destroy their aircraft - and then of course, they did. But, he called it L detachment, meaning that there was A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H… and it was called First Division. Anyway, he was pretending that it was this vast division with thousands of paratroops - in fact it was just World Cup wins 2022 in record breaking year for BBC iPlayer". BBC Media Centre. 31 January 2023 . Retrieved 31 January 2023.It’s Steven Knight’s telling of a piece of the Second World War that wasn’t made public knowledge for a long, long time. The first episode was watched 5,526,000 times on iPlayer alone during 2022, making it the fifth most viewed individual programme on the platform that year. [12] Reception [ edit ] To create a drama from this amazing story I had to sculpt a world where things are a little bit heightened, much like how war and the absurdity of it heightens every emotion. Bringing characters to life to inhabit this world, especially ones that are not archetypical heroes, was made so much easier by leaning on the facts and the truths. A more conventional approach would have been to simply focus on success upon success, but these are real men with real flaws who made mistakes along their paths to victories. Moreover, it was Stirling who asked General De Gaulle to have Frenchmen in the SAS because he needed men ready to do anything to deal with the Germans. So the 1re Compagnie de Chasseurs Parachutistes was sent, which became the French Squadron SAS. [20] Bloodlands season 2 ending explained: What happened in the finale of the James Nesbitt police drama?

What also drew me was the fact that I grew up in a military family. My grandfather was a colonel when Algeria gained its independency in 1962, but was a captain under the French military. I grew up very much in a military family, so it just hits home for me. In that way being Algerian, growing up in Paris and having that relationship with France - and so does my character who is Algerian but serves under the French regime under General de Gaulle directly. I was also very proud to play an Algerian character who is considered highly in those kind of areas, who is also educated, and serving a purpose that is bigger than her own. At the beginning of each episode, the viewer is informed that the series is "[b]ased on a true story", and that "the events depicted which seem most unbelievable… are mostly true". [16] Billy Foley, writing in The Irish News, was somewhat more critical of the artistic license employed, particularly in the depiction of Paddy Mayne. Far from being "a brutish, rough man who was looked down on by the aristocracy of his native Newtownards and despised the toff officer class of the British army", Foley pointed out that the ostensibly working class Mayne was in fact born to a landed family, went to grammar school, played rugby for the British & Irish Lions, and studied at Queen's University Belfast before qualifying as a solicitor. [18] Historian Damien Lewis also said it was "nonsense" to portray Mayne as a "thug and drunken lout", when he "cared passionately for those men he commanded". [19] Everyone speaks so highly of your energy on set - what is the atmosphere that you like to create during filming?The A Word: Ending explained and everything you need to know about the BBC drama ahead of spin-off Ralph and Katie release Unlike the main trio of Stirling, Mayne, and Lewes, the character of Eve Mansour is fictional. However, Sofia Boutella, who plays the character, points out that her character is influenced by real-life female spies such as Noor Inayat Khan and Virginia Hall. [17]

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment