276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Sigma 300mm f2.8 APO EX DG HSM For Canon Digital & Flim SLR Cameras

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

The Sony 70-200 is a much better design than Canon’s extending design and a remarkable achievement. Leaving flare behavior aside. I have zero issue to admit this, I love Sony and think their engineers are doing an amazing job with many of their lenses. I may replace my Nikon 70-200mm f2.8 by the Sony. On the sub-frame body, vignetting is practically non-existent past ƒ/4 for all three focal lengths we tested. At ƒ/2.8, we see under 0.25 EV of light loss for all three focal lengths. Between ƒ/5.6 and ƒ/16, vignetting is close to zero EV light loss. The aspect we are commenting about, is it not very clearly described in this official press release? Lenses aren't purely about sharpness of course, but the Sigma does extremely well in all respects. Chromatic aberration is visible at 120mm, but diminishes to nothing at 300mm. Vignetting is nothing to worry about, at a maximum of 1.4 stops wide open at 300mm. Distortion is well controlled too: it's essentially perfectly-correctedat 120mm, but there's a little pincushion distortion at 300mm. Accepts both 1.4x and 2.0x EX Teleconverters to produce 420mm F4 and 600mm F5.6 Autofocus ultra telephoto optics.

Sigma 2.0x Teleconverter Review - Photography Life Sigma 2.0x Teleconverter Review - Photography Life

An image of Sony’s 400mm F2.8 G Master OSS lens. The forthcoming 300mm F2.8 G Master OSS lens will likely have a lot of similarities to its longer telephoto sibling. Image credit: Sony Pentax 300mm ƒ/2.8 ED IF SMC P-FA - but this lens has been discontinued. Instead they offer a ƒ/4 version, which is smaller and less expensive. The lens uses Pentax's SDM autofocus technology. Bokeh is a word used for the out-of-focus areas of a photograph, and is usually described in qualitative terms, such as smooth / creamy / harsh etc. In the Sigma 120-300mm F2.8 DG OS HSM S lens, Sigma employed an iris diaphragm with nine rounded blades, which has resulted in very nice bokeh in our view. We do realise, however, that bokeh evaluation is subjective, so we've included several 100% crops for your perusal. Let’s talk about the weight issue now. At 3.39 kilos, this is not a light lens. And it is expected, given its fast aperture of f/2.8. The Nikon 400mm f/2.8G VR is also a monster of a lens for that very reason. However, this is no 400mm and the lens barrel is nowhere as long in comparison. So the central issue with the weight is the fact that the lens is too heavy for its compact size. I have shot with the 500mm f/4G VR quite a bit (which in my opinion is the best hand-holdable Nikkor super-telephoto) and while it is a slightly heavier lens (by about 500 grams), it is much easier to hand-hold. I was forced to buy a Nikkor 300 2.8 as well for an important assignment, which was an unwelcome added expense.

As a less-costly alternative to the camera manufacturer's telephoto lenses, Sigma, a manufacturer best known for its line of consumer camera lenses, offers three "big glass" telephoto and super-telephoto lenses in its professional grade "EX" series. After spending a few days in the field with their 300/2.8 HSM EX lens and an opportunity to closely examine it, I offer the following commentary and subjective review. these are with the 1.4x TC) I do note a tad of color fringing in the full rez of these images too. Now that I realized how to use Lightroom correctly, I can/should re-do them to get rid of it.

Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 DG OS HSM Review - Photography Life

With the lens set to its maximum aperture of f/2.8, there is significant light fall-off in the corners at both ends of the zoom range. Stopping-down to f/5.6 virtually eliminates this. There's very little distortion to worry about. You’ve posted so much other garbage in here since you made that comment I wouldn’t have even seen it in your posting history. TC isn’t a free lunch, it will never truly replace a lens actually covering the same range, it’s really a half baked solution that results in loss of IQ etc. You seem to be implying that the actual announcement would change people’s minds… How could that be the case? Sigma uses its HSM technology for autofocus on its Sigma-, Nikon- and Canon-mount versions of this lens; Pentax and Sony users are limited to mechanical focusing strategies. A full focus movement (infinity - close-focus - infinity) took about 1.5 seconds, though the lens is quite ''snappy'' when focusing between short distances. The HSM-variants of this lens allow the focus to be adjusted at any time by just turning the focus ring; as well, the lens is near-silent during focus operations.Probably the best lens i have ever used. Sharp at f2.8, and even sharp at f4 with a 1.4 x TC, with the sigma 2x you only need to stop down 2/3 to f7.1 to get exceptable images. Another option would be a 70-200mm ƒ/2.8 IS (or VR, depending on brand) plus a 1.4 teleconverter. Taking the Canon EF 70-200mm ƒ/2.8 L IS II plus the Canon 1.4X Extender EF III gives you a similar zoom range (though not exactly the same), but you lose a stop of light (now down to ƒ/4), worse image quality and slower AF speed thanks to the teleconverter. Nikon users have the Nikon 70-200mm ƒ/2.8G ED VR II AF-S and either the Nikon 1.4X AF-S TC-14E II or Nikon 1.7X AF-S TC-17E II teleconverters.

Lens reviews update: the Sigma 120-300mm F2.8, and Nikon Lens reviews update: the Sigma 120-300mm F2.8, and Nikon

With the full-time manual focus override, I found I was inadvertently shifting focus with my palm and fighting against my attempts to autofocus. This happened mostly when operating the zoom ring, because my hand would rotate in relation to the lens barrel which resulted in rotation of the focus ring. This is a case of the weight of the lens working against you indirectly. Because there is a lot of mass to support (more on this below), it feels like you really need to use your whole hand for support rather than just half your hand or perhaps just your fingers. On a positive note, the focus ring is very smooth to rotate and the zoom ring felt a little stiff at first, but got better overtime. Just like on Nikkor lenses, once you reach close or far limits, the focus ring will continue to rotate. The zoom ring, on the other hand, has a hard stop at both 120mm and 300mm, which is consistent with what you see on the Nikon 200-400mm f/4G VR.The Sigma 120-300mm F2.8 DG OS HSM S ships with a good quality soft case and a massive metal circular lens hood (LH1220-01). It accepts 105mm filters. Focal Range

Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 DG OS HSM Sports Review Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 DG OS HSM Sports Review

Sony and Nikon have had their own plants in Thailand and China for many years and have a much more diverse and secure procurement with better cost optimization. There are many Japanese employees in these plants working with locals and quality control has been just as good as what would have been the case in Jspan. An an previous owner of a 300 mm f:2.8 lens, would prefer mounting a separate TC when needed instead of buying a bulkier and heavier lens - or go for a zoom lens.Solid construction and pretty good optics, too. IQ and sharpnes pretty good wide open, and very good from f3,5 onwards. Pixel peepers may be able to find some minor purple fringing in areas of extreme contrast. But this is really insignificant, and can easily be corrected in post processing, should it be noticeable. AF works well thanks to the speed of the lens. Also with Sigmas 1,4 x and 2 x teleconverters. As usual, there is some loss of image quality, especially with the 2 x TC. At 300mm, however, there's a slightly different trend – chromatic aberration increases as you stop down, albeit very slightly. It's again slightly more noticeable on the sub-frame camera. On a full-frame camera, the values for maximum and average are both very low, while we see a bit more difference in average vs. maximum values from the sub-frame camera. The filter holder is intriguing. The filter is circular and you screw it on as you would a normal circular filter. The difference is the 46mm filter went inside the body on the lens. The filter is not there to be cool, more as a bit of pleasing engineering. Basically you do not have to buy a filter to fit the ~119 front of the lens. That saves a bit of money. While Sigma has made many improvements here, the lens mount is still a bit of a weak point - there is a fair amount of play when mounted to my Nikons, and I'm concerned that this will become an issue over time (in eight years of use, my original version of this lens required two lens mount replacements). On the lists, the lenses marked “AF” will retain auto focus operation when used with a Tele Converter. The lenses marked “MF can only be used for manual focus.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment