276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Glass Hearts and Broken Promises

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

The world is always changing. Learn how to allow for it. Somone makes a promise, and then they break it. A play gets good notices, and then it folds. A marriage looks strong, and then they divorce. For a while there's no war, and then there's another war. If you get too upset about it all, you become a stupid, unhappy person—and where's the good in that?” This book of poetry was less poetry and more everyday life advice you hear from your family and friends. I found it to be highly repetitive and very similar to many other poems and quotes you see on the internet. There were many times I thought I was just reading self affirmations.

If this is not the case, and I'm simply hallucinating, then to that I say, other poets have written about heartbreak before and been more relatable to me, or I believe their poems were a little wittier and a bit punchier compared to this collection. And second, some lines just don't really make sense. The logic is entirely missing, or at least a big enough part of it that I can't follow.You had me believing that I meant more to you than what I actually did. You were always great at making me believe in lies (68)

While I was holding onto you, you were letting me go. While I was fighting to keep everything together you didn’t care about staying and you decided to leave (64) PDF / EPUB File Name: Aisling_A_Spell_Unbinding_-_AE_Jurgens.pdf, Aisling_A_Spell_Unbinding_-_AE_Jurgens.epub Really? Trauma? For context, she doesn't describe anything actually bad, just as painful as hinted at by the sentence about the pictures documenting their falling out of love.)You can’t keep waiting for somebody who isn’t capable of figuring out that you’re also someone who is worth fighting for (105)

Glass Hearts & Broken Promises does none of that, and that's a dealbreaker for me. There are certainly a lot of words associated with vulnerability (pain, broken, grief, miss, etc.) but they're all used so plainly that it's impossible to feel the full weight of them. Language that we're used to is language that becomes purely utilitarian and loses its punch, and that's the only language that's used in this book. A Hollywood starlet caught in a scandal. The boy she never got over. A Christmas season they’ll never forget… Glass Hearts & Broken Promises is a very modern collection of poems in that it has no rhymes, no verse, no titles, and barely any punctuation. And that could have been fine! Some of my favourite poems ever are in free verse! Anyone who's ever read any poem Mary Oliver wrote knows free verse can be done well.And yet somehow, that awful, trite, clumsy poem still sounded more like poetry - and a lot more heartfelt - than anything I've read in this book.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment