276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Ariadne: The Mesmerising Sunday Times Bestselling Retelling of Ancient Greek Myth

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

But when I thought of Scylla, I thought of the foolish and all-too-human girl, gasping for breath amid the froth of waves churning in the wake of my father's boat. Ariadne is the gentle daughter of the fearsome King Minos, and sister to the monster who bellows from the Labyrinth beneath the palace. Ariadne was the daughter of Minos, the King of Crete [9] and son of Zeus, and of Pasiphaë, Minos' queen and daughter of Helios. If this debut is any harbinger of books to come, Jennifer Saint may join the mythical ranks of the likes of Hilary Mantel and Susannah Clarke. In the opening pages, Ariadne tells "the story of a righteous man," her father, King Minos of Crete.

Karl Kerenyi and Robert Graves theorized that Ariadne, whose name they thought derived from Hesychius' enumeration of "Άδνον", a Cretan-Greek form of " arihagne" ("utterly pure"), was a Great Goddess of Crete, "the first divine personage of Greek mythology to be immediately recognized in Crete", [29] once archaeological investigation began.Loosely inspired by the myth of Orpheus and Eurydice, this is a genre-bending novel which centres on rock star Aida, who finds herself trapped in a destructive love affair. When the Greek hero Theseus arrives with a collection of Athenians to be sacrificed to the Minotaur Ariadne becomes infatuated. Greek mythology retellings have always had a special place in my heart, and as a baseline rule, I like to give them the benefit of the doubt prior to reading them.

An ancient story of love and sisterhood reimagined, Jennifer Saint's ARIADNE is a truly masterful debut - compulsive, absorbing and lyrical. The entire book felt like you were holding your breath, on the edge, waiting for something to happen, waiting for that moment to start caring for the characters or be stunned by an amazing plot point, just for none of that to occur. Conversely, Stylianos Alexiou has argued that despite the belief being that Ariadne's name is of Indo-European origin, it is actually pre-Greek. Hypnotic, propulsive, and utterly transporting, Jennifer Saint's Ariadne forges a new epic, outside the traditional narratives of heroism and glory that leave no room for women.Far from giving her escape from her cruel fate, she was immediately set upon in an endless chase by the crimson-streaked eagle bent upon eternal vengeance. An epic work in its own right, the novel is divided into episodes that roughly correspond to those in the original poem. The story continues to follow the separate lives of the two sisters until they meet again years later when it is apparent that both women bear the scars of sorrow, love, betrayal and now deep seeded suspicion of each other as the events that shaped them now threatens to pull them apart. Not only do the stories of Ariadne and Circe follow similar themes, but the writing style of this book is very reminiscent of Miller's while remaining distinct enough to not feel like a copycat of any kind.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment