276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Break: British Book Awards Author of the Year 2022

£4.995£9.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

PLOT: While the novel definitely has a strong plot, I ultimately felt let down. After so much careful crafting, building up of the story, its ending felt very rushed and predictable, leaving me unsatisfied.

That was exactly what her books meant to me - it gave me a sense of importance that I never received as a child, it gave me reassurance, that I'm not the one who is bad and that sometimes, adults are the ones who make mistakes. I read every single Jacqueline Wilson book I could get my hands on and found myself in a lot of her kid characters and it made me feel less alone. It gave me courage, as cheesy as that sounds.

Share and save this site

In her invaluable analysis of Tennyon’s aestheticism in the volume On Form, Angela Leighton points to the strategic placing of the comma after the third “break” in the first line: “it changes the meaning of ‘break’, from ‘break on’ to ‘break,’ which thus, visibly and aurally, curtails its arrival on the shore as well as its arrival at the real object of breaking: ‘the touch of a vanished hand’.”

This book opens up to a trigger warning to it’s readers but I felt that KATHERENA VERMETTE handled the violence very well and although some of the details was hard to read at times, was very sad and depressing it is an important piece of Canadian culture and I really appreciated the author giving a voice to these indigenous Manitoban women. I promise I'll stay for ever,' he said. 'Now give me a kiss night-night. You never know, you might just transform me from a loathsome toad into a handsome prince.'

Step 6: Keep going until you reach the centre, taking care not to fold the spine

The author, Katherena Vermette, however, did a nice job exploring a story about familial dynamics and Manitoban women. This is not a subject I had read about previously and I appreciated the insight. Also it is possible to revisit the chapters which are extremely helpfully laid out in the audiobook.

This is the story of four generations of Metis women and their families. It explores their love for one another and bond through life’s daily struggles, stresses and horrors. It is a heart-breaking and haunting novel that will stay with me for quite a while.OH WOW! I WONDER WHY? WHY WOULD YOU SEEK SOMETHING NEW INSTEAD OF TRYING TO, Y'KNOW, TRY AND FIX WHAT YOU'VE GOT, STAY WITH YOUR FAMILY AND NOT CAUSE THEM A YEAR OF HEARTACHE? Double Act won the prestigious Smarties Medal and the Children’s Book Award as well as being highly commended for the Carnegie Medal. The Story of Tracy Beaker won the 2002 Blue Peter People’s Choice Award. I just couldn't believe that Jonah would willingly remove himself from his home. It was clear that he believed his parents were incompetent, which set off Jesse's allergies constantly. Since Jesse is obviously so important to him, I just can't see him leaving without putting up a serious fight. I didn’t dislike the writing as much as other people that have read it had but the characters were so one dimensional that even if the dialogues were 10/10 i wouldn’t be able to read the with a straight face. The themes of pain, abuse, trauma and the stories & fear that we are forced to carry as women and people of colour were very well explored and the language (despite the constant repetition of the word 'gross' which bugged me slightly) was beautiful, simple and poetic.

THE BREAK by KATHERENA VERMETTE is a dark, gritty, heartbreaking, and a powerful intergenerational family saga that was quite intense and depressing to read. The Break refers to a piece of land between two rows of houses which is outside the home of Stella a young Métis mother who witnessed a violent act on the Break. I think The Break also refers to a more general break in things such as relationships, ourselves, and our past. The Break is the first novel by Canadian poet, film-maker and award-winning author, Katherena Vermette. Late one cold February night, a small-town Canadian Police Department gets a 911 call. Stella McGregor, a young Metis wife and mother, is witnessing an assault on a stretch of land known as The Break, adjacent to her home. While there are still signs of a scuffle in the snow by the time two officers arrive, they are dubious about the witness’s assertion that a woman has been raped: the broken beer bottle and the pool of blood point to a gang fight. By the end I understood nothing, in fact I might have understood more by the middle of the book based on my own assumptions rather than whatever the hell the story line turned into...Julie still misses Frankie too after many months, she brought her kids to Green fair in Kingtown where she thinks he will be, she was not able to find Frankie but instead saw Ems abusive dad with his family in the fair.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment