276°
Posted 20 hours ago

When the Stars Come Out: Exploring the Magic and Mysteries of the Night-Time

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Anora Silby is getting a fresh start. She had to leave her home in New York after a mysterious accident left people whispering and gossiping about her. The thing is, she can see the dead, which makes being a teenager all the harder. Now, at her new school she is going to keep her head down, not cause any trouble, and definitely not engage with any of the dead she can see. Shes partnered up with Shy, the schools popular boy, to be shown around the school and she can't help but feel that she knows him. Sweet on the outside, Shy is hiding a massive secret, one that includes a large majority of the town she just moved to. Keeping herself out of trouble may be harder than she expected... Part of why I liked this was the unique world building aspect. There’s a race of supernaturals who look like humans, but can turn into crows or sprout wings in their human form. I haven’t read a lot of books with crow shapeshifters. They have a fully fleshed out social structure with strict rules. Basically, they are in charge of destroying evil. What is that evil? The dark force called “Influence,” which is slowly destroying the world. It can possess people, latching onto their sad or dark emotions. And finally, there are the gold coins that were once souls, now in need of ferrying to the afterlife. Laced throughout everything is the controversy amid the Vaylren (sp?) hierarchy.

As it turns out, hiding her weirdness is just one of many challenges. By the end of her first day, she's claimed the soul of a dead girl and and lost the coin. Turns out, the coin gives others the ability to steal souls, and when a classmate turns up dead, there's no mistaking the murder weapon. The reason behind Anora and her mother moving is kept secret from the reader but you know from the get-go that something bad happened - you just don't know what. There is no dilly-dallying with the ghosts because Anora sees one as soon as she pulls up outside her new school. And it's clear that something isn't right about her new school either - so I think Scarlett St. Clair did well in capturing my attention in the beginning. This book was honestly the most pleasant surprise!! YA to its core it gave me the nostalgic vibes of being something I’ve read and loved before with a story that was wholly it’s own.I always like trying new authors and genres because how else do yo you find a new favorite author. I judge each book after I have read once. Sometimes if I read the same book twice I get a different perspective and higher my rating. This book highlights different interesting aspects about the night time. There is a history of astronomy and an explanation of what makes up the night sky. There are interesting facts about what the sky looks like from different hemispheres and what animals do in different regions. There is also facts about humans' sleep cycle and their night life, as well as holidays that are celebrated at night. There are many random facts found throughout this book.

I really liked the villain(s) of the story. Their characters were multi-faceted and we got a deep look into their wounds. It was easy to understand why they acted the way they did. I did begin to suspect them, so it was a little predictable, but that didn’t take away from my enjoyment.If you love dark romances, don’t let the YA tag scare you away because this series is going places!!

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment