276°
Posted 20 hours ago

UnPresidented: Politics, pandemics and the race that Trumped all others

£10£20.00Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

What I especially like about this man, Jon Sopel is his humanity and his generous spirit. He has rivalries of course, but he seems never to find fault in others; friends, family and fellow members of the media are held in high regard and with great esteem. It is now nearly a month since the election was over, and the President is yet to concede. He may never. He won’t do so willingly or with a happy heart, even though the result is clear. But why would you expect this race to conclude with neatly creased wrapping paper, a pretty ribbon and a bow? The Trump presidency hasn’t been like that.’ What is abundantly clear is that for all his bluster and ego, Donald Trump still holds powerful sway over the minds of millions of Americans. Due to publishing timescales the last diary entry is 7 November 2020. As predicted at the outset Trump has never conceded he lost the election and maintains it was stolen from him. In view of the events at the Capitol, and second impeachment, there is more to say. Jon tells me that to just add another chapter would not be sufficient. I thought Unpresidented was excellent – and far more interesting and involving than I expected. It is in the form of extracts from Jon Sopel’s journal of the 2020 Presidential Election, starting about 18 months out and ending as Biden and Harris make their victory speeches. It is vivid, insightful and – for me – increasingly gripping as the extraordinary events of 2020 unfold.

To deny its possible political ramifications is to be blind to expressed fears and frustrations and to underlying, if often unspoken, references to race. Un-bloody-believable. Because of what Donald Trump said from the presidential podium last night, a leading manufacturer of bleach is having to issue a statement saying whatever you do, don’t try main-lining bleach.” English–Arabic English–Bengali English–Catalan English–Czech English–Danish English–Hindi English–Korean English–Malay English–Marathi English–Russian English–Tamil English–Telugu English–Thai English–Turkish English–Ukrainian English–Vietnamese I cannot imagine this was a labor of love. More like a labor of meticulous, cold determination. As a regular person reading the news, the last four years of campaigns and presidency have been a continuous steady drip of bombast, lies, muddled exaggeration, outrage, attempted misdirection, and ridiculous scandal. It’s both overwhelming and numbing. Seeing the whole Trump narrative together in one place was odd, and somewhat disconcerting. I might even call it swampy. Another book about Donald Trump, this time a journal charting the 2020 election campaign from the perspective of the BBC's Jon Sopel. Once again, pin-sharp commentary and observations delve into the psyche and drama of American politics, and the man who refused to accept the final result.Unpresidented • Clone Gunman • Blue Bloods • Sex Machina • The Brettfast Club • My Big Flat Earth Wedding • Ghost Protocol • Buzzkill • Mole Hunt • Inside Reagan A headline about walrus oil prices rising and going to war with Antarctic is seen, which is later reference in " Buzzkill". Experience life as a reporter on the campaign trail, as the election heats up and a global pandemic slowly sweeps in. As American lives are lost at a devastating rate, the presidential race becomes a battle for the very soul of the nation - challenging not just the Trump presidency, but the very institutions of American democracy itself. Yes, that's right. YET ANOTHER Trump book for this sub-genre that has taken on a life of it's own and bookshelves all over the world. As you can see, the appropriate word choice can vary greatly depending on the context. In political situations, “unpresidented” may be the more appropriate choice due to its association with the presidency. However, in situations such as the current global pandemic or legal cases, “unprecedented” is a more fitting choice due to its connotation of never-before-seen circumstances.

Jon Sopel is right. It was far more interesting following a Trump presidency than it would have been covering a Hillary Clinton one. It was certainly never dull and at times baffling. Two examples: Sopel writes very well. I have always found his reporting for the BBC interesting and penetrating and the book has the same qualities, but magnified rather because he is less restrained by the requirements of impartiality. He manages to be objective (although rabid Trump-worshippers probably wouldn’t agree), but is able to point out more forcibly (and often wryly and wittily) some of the absurdities and outrageous behaviour of the Trump administration. He is also able to give a lot more inside information from off-the-record conversations which make the picture all the richer (and often, all the more horrifying). Most people, like me, will remember much of what is described in the book, but having it brought so vividly to life and so shrewdly dissected made this very fresh for me and I ended up wanting to read more to see what happened next. There is another tweet in which the President protests that he has been working so hard, and that he hasn’t left the White House for months. Well, one, you would expect the leader of the world’s pre-eminent superpower to be working hard during a global pandemic” The book is adapted from a diary or a journal, and certain comments hit differently now (in light of the election aftermath and Capitol insurrection) than they would have 6 months ago. Trump’s disregard for political norms, campaign gaffes, and “woman, man, camera, TV” just don’t seem as funny anymore. The repeated references to Joe Biden “in his basement” also irked me! This book is meticulously researched and meant to report the truth of the 45th president of the United States. It pulls no punches but does its best not to editorialize excessively. If it is unflattering of our president, that's only of his own doing.The proper word to use is “unprecedented.” This means something that has never happened before or is unparalleled in history. On the other hand, “unpresidented” is not a word in the English language. This is Jon Sopel’s third book about his time as as the BBC’s North American Editor, and this one is a campaign diary about the 2020 U.S. Presidential election. Sopel had a ring side seat and he documents the increasingly bizarre events that were an almost daily occurrence of the Trump White House. There’s a general feeling that Sopel can’t quite believe some of the things he witnessed, there’s a general feeling of wry amusement, very occasionally punctured with cold fury. I really enjoyed Jon Sopel's book about the run-up to the 2020 US Presidential election. It was written in a diary format and took the reader through the, often bizarre, twists and turns of the election campaign, with the extra curve-ball of a pandemic thrown in. It was good to be reminded of many of the events and although I followed the US election pretty closely there were still things that were new to me. He takes you through the highs and lows (both personally and politically) of the 503 days between the start of the presidential campaign trail in Florida and November 3rd 2020 in incredible detail. Unprecedented is an adjective that describes something that has never been done or experienced before. It refers to an event or situation that is completely new, without any prior example or precedent to compare it to. Unprecedented events are often unexpected, surprising, and can have a significant impact on society, politics, or the economy. Define Unpresidented

Indeed, so much happened in 2020 that a lot of the events in this book triggered a kind of 'oh yeah, I'd forgotten about that!' response in me, despite being recent news. Her book successfully utilizes 347 endnotes from video interviews, audio recordings, articles, public records, and books to synthesize a compelling narrative about this time in our history and Donald Trump as a child, business person, reality television personality, and President of The United States of America. Learning more about Donald Trump's childhood and business endeavors were the most informative aspects of the book for me personally, but I feel this book also serves as an important document for future young people interested in learning more about this time in our history, years from now.When it comes to using words that sound alike, it’s easy to make mistakes. One of the most common mistakes people make is using “unprecedented” when they actually mean “unpresidented”. Here are some common mistakes to avoid: Using “Unprecedented” Instead Of “Unpresidented” as a correspondent to be here, covering this period of time has been sometimes exhausting, sometimes exasperating, sometimes exhilarating – but overwhelmingly it’s been unforgettable: the wildest of rides, the journalistic assignment of a lifetime…’

The definitive account of the Trump presidency is still along way off being written - but numerous books have already been published which have set out the period 2016-2020 in all its jaw dropping & frightening craziness.And those protesters can also be assaulted on the streets by the police and by uniformed men who are not identified (either collectively or individually) and are therefore impossible to hold to account. In response to images showing police in Buffalo push over and seriously injure a seventy-five-year-old man, Martin Gugino, Trump tweeted that “Buffalo protester shoved by Police could be an ANTIFA provocateur.… Could be a set up?” Trump had already declared his intention to designate “ANTIFA as a Terrorist Organization.” But since Antifa does not actually exist as an organization, anyone engaged in protest “could be” a terrorist. This possibility is enough to make every public opponent of Trump’s regime a legitimate target for state violence. If and when that assault happens, moreover, it is not real. The victim staged it. Have you ever been unsure whether to use “unprecedented” or “unpresidented” in your writing? It’s a common mistake, but fear not, we’re here to clear things up.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment