276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Out of the Blue: The inside story of the unexpected rise and rapid fall of Liz Truss

£10£20.00Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

OUT OF THE BLUE is a really nice example of showing a story from many sides and exploring the motivation that leads to characters' (wrong)doings. Because, well, everyone is right from their point of view and wrong from others' points of view. The angel, Teacake, was super awesome and freaking beautiful, as I’ve said before. I really want to see this book made into a movie because, a) gay, and b) YES. HELLO. THE ANGEL, especially after all the wing grafts where she has different color wings ooooohhhh yeah, IS SO BEAUTIFUL.

I know people criticize Disney's Little Mermaid because they say that Ariel gives up everything for Eric, but at least it was more than just a physical relationship. And that's where this relationship fell apart for me -- I saw very little romance, just physicality-presented-as-love. Also doesn't help that I could barely get onboard with the romance that was in the book. One day I will find a f/f couple with actual chemistry (that isn't in a Sarah Waters novel) and on that day I will weep with joy. The female best friend was once again, insufferable. This was an issue I had in Jay's Gay Agenda too, and sadly the author repeated it here. This is definitely a feel good book, though there are some mentions of some sad topics, this book is filled with so much joy! There's this one particular paragraph about loss that I can't get out of my head and the Universe is my witness when I say I hope I made it justice translating it.

It was poorly executed, rushed and felt unrealistic. I wish the author would've taken more time and added some details. It felt particularly short compared to the long and slow middle part of the book. I thought the characters were all so well-written! I loved how Sean’s body type may not have been the typical slim swimming body, and I loved his confidence in himself. Sean was realistic in his over-dramatic inner monologue and propensity to declare the end of the world as soon as one thing didn’t go his way, because honestly, what is more teenager-y than that? He read like a 16yo boy, and I really liked that. This book just was so wonderful, it immediately became one of my favorite ever. It's just pure honeyed poetry with lovely imagery, but it's also raw and brutal, reflecting the cruel reality and the small windows we have to escape it from time to time. Honestly, I haven't been that emotional about a book for a long time, but this one definitely pulled all my heartstrings and I ended up tearing up several times, especially at the end. It was just too wonderful , too well-written. I definitely recommend it to anyone, it's just a beautiful, beautiful journey!!

The diversity of the characters is great (the main character is a biracial gay girl), but there are a few things that bothered me: a b c d e f g Hinsliff, Gaby (23 November 2022). " Out of the Blue review – the rise and fall of Liz Truss". The Guardian . Retrieved 16 December 2022.Out of the Blue then recounts Truss's campaign for a seat in the House of Commons, covering the difficulties that arose due to her previously undisclosed affair with Mark Field, a former Conservative MP. While the book does note that the affair was much more damaging for Truss than it was for Field, it only cursorily mentions the more lurid allegations made against Truss. After being elected to the Commons in 2010, Truss becomes parliamentary under-secretary of state at the Department for Education under David Cameron. The book talks about her unsuccessful reform proposal that would have decreased the number of adults employed as caretakers. [17] Sean would have also shaved. I have never, in my life, never met a swimmer who didn't. It's just part of the culture. It's always hard to give a bad review to an author whose previous book I really like. But sadly, Out of the Blue was a massive disappointment for me, and I had to struggle to finish its last part. And, again, if you're looking for queer fluff and occasional allusions to The Little Mermaid, then this is a story you could have fun with.

And I genuinely do appreciate that -- as well as the celebration of queer love. There isn't any homophobia or slurs hurled at the characters. The diversity is presented as normal and accepted, and June also does really well at "modeling behavior" for readers. Like, there's a couple good conversations about consent, and Crest/Ross has this one moment where they tell Sean what they like (physically) during a makeout session. This book has some really great diversity and representation of very underrepresented populations, but otherwise it was super-duper meh for me. Very predictable. Very kind of nonsensical and strange in the ways its characters operated. Also, practices *decrease* the closer you get to a big meet -- like "states" -- not increase. Sean has practice twice a day 2 weeks before his big meet? Nope. That's a shave-and-taper event -- your practices decrease so your energy can increase and you can rest your muscles so you're not exhausted and they don't crap out on you.This is about Jaya, a Cool Teen whose life is looking a bit tragic at the moment because her mom is #RecentlyDead and now she’s being trotted off by her dad, who is fully freaking. Also her younger sister is there. Jason June tells the story of the merfolk Crest who has to spend one month on land (under the name Ross) and help a human, as part of the Journey, an ancient mer tradition. Said human happens to be Sean, the dreamy, chubby, lifeguard/school swimmer/wanna-be film director who got dumped by his boyfriend. When I first heard about Out of the Blue, all I was hearing about was ‘fallen angels’ and ‘f/f’ romance so it was easy to jump to the conclusion that there were sapphic angels! There isn’t, but the relationship between Allie (who is disabled and bisexual), and Jaya (who is Sri Lankan and a lesbian) was lovely and heartwarming. And it is a huge part of the book so no need to worry about that. The reason Father Dearest is totally buggin is that angels are falling out of the sky. Understandably everyone is buggin about this, but Dad is especially because he’s like “I wanna catch one of these bad boys, who, yes, are falling unpredictably but also I bet I can figure it out using the power of Math if I try.” Also he probably would have said “Maths” because England. Ha ha. One of the strongest elements in this book are the family and specifically sibling relationships. I don't think that any of the character stood out much individually but there's so many complex relationships and so many important aspects that get talked about and I really loved that. I adore when you read a book and can very clearly see where everyone is coming from in a conflict and it very much felt like that reading this book.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment