276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Lord of the Rings: J.R.R. Tolkien

£30£60.00Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Well, what can I say… Thirty years later, I “swallowed” the trilogy in about a month – and it took me so long only because I was reading it during a very busy time and could dedicate to it only short moments before bedtime. It's not anything to do with the actually quality of the books, but there is always something new to read. R. Tolkien, the reclusive, pipe-smoking Oxford don, was in the vanguard, and so great was his achievement that his name became virtually synonymous with the literature of fantasy.

His images – a total of seven full-page images and 57 head-pieces – are based on original designs by Queen Margrethe II of Denmark.This great modern classic is accompanied by a wealth of beautiful watercolour paintings and delicate pencil drawings from Alan Lee. Compared to the previous box set from Harper Collins (LOTR in three volumes + LOTR Readers Companion) the paper is twice as thick and very good quality.

Steeped in unrivalled magic and otherworldliness, its sweeping fantasy has touched the hearts of young and old alike. Also, by removing the dust jacket for reading it makes it more enjoyable without having to worry about the dust jacket sliding up or coming loose (or becoming worn or torn).

It's one of the finest books ever conceived and was adapted into a fantastic trilogy of movies by Peter Jackson. Naive in style but, for my money, perfectly capturing in paint the world he so lovingly creates in words. The books themselves are sturdy, the slipcase protects them well, the illustrations are beautiful and it just feels good to read. If a refund or reimbursement is payable to you, we will transfer the money using the same method originally used by you to pay for your purchase. This new edition includes all 50 of Alan Lee's beautiful watercolour paintings that have been newly scanned by the artist himself, together with his stunning frontispiece painting that appears in full, for the very first time, as a three-page foldout sheet.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment