276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Not Here To Be Liked

£4.495£8.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Though, according to the title, Eliza is ‘not here to be liked’ but she is in fact, a very likeable character. I loved how brave she was to stand up for what she felt was wrong. I could really understand Eliza’s frustration and struggle with misogyny and sexism existing in the society and I was also able to relate to her when she had conflicting thoughts about what is it to be a good or a bad feminist. i finished this book a few days ago and i had to take some time to reflect cuz this one got me so baffled. i thought a sound plot of the book would be for Eliza to realize she lost not because of Len being a guy, but instead being supportive of him and realizing she can learn how to be a more understanding leader from him... but NOOOOoooo

Quach’s sparkling debut is a fantastic examination of feminism, full of insight and heart. A must read for those who love coming of age stories with a touch of romance.” Roselle Lim This grittily provocative debut explores the horrors of self-harm and the healing power of artistic expression. Equal parts funny and thought-provoking, Not Here to Be Liked deftly explores the joys and complexities of feminism, family, and first romance. Eliza isn’t here to be liked, but you’ll fall in love with her—and Michelle Quach’s bright new voice—all the same. Katie Henry Welcome! We’re Marie (she/her) and Nyx (she/her), two sisters screaming about books at each other and now with you, too. We love books, traveling and we’re both marshmallows, basically. Thank you so much for stopping by! Have a look around and let’s chat!I think I would've liked this book a lot more if she was the main character instead of Eliza, I think I would've agreed more with her views. and Len... I liked how he called out Eliza on her bs and how he didn't let Eliza antagonizing him ruin his reputation, but instead joined the cause. I just wish he wouldn't have resigned. first of all, this book felt like it would give good enemies to lovers banter but the banter was so boring throughout the book, and look... i’m a pretty romantic person. so it’s easy to give me butterflies... but this book was so cliche that i felt bored af. i'm over the public displays of affection like public speeches in school microphones or tv, everyyybody caring about the main character’s EVERY move (this makes the story artificial because everyone knows 100% this does not happen in real life), the miscommunication trope, and neither did i feel the couple had much chemistry. Michelle Quach is a Chinese-Vietnamese-American who spent a lot of time working for student newspapers, including The Crimson at Harvard College, where she earned a BA in history and literature. Currently a graphic designer at a brand strategy firm in Los Angeles, Not Here To Be Liked is her first novel. This book may not deep dive into the nuances of feminism but it did have me (and Eliza) questioning some inherent biases, which is always a good thing. Eliza Quan fully expects to be voted the next editor-in-chief of her school paper. She works hard, she respects the facts, and she has the most experience.

I didn’t expect the book to be so good, based on the summary, so I’m so happy to hear that you loved it as much as you did. I’m definitely adding this book and putting it to the top of my list. Hope you’re doing well 🙂 xx It occurs to me then what a singular moment this is: here I am, inexplicably in solidarity with Serena Hwangbo, the girl whose entire student-council tenure has been based on nothing but marginally considerate behavior and attractive boyfriends. Feminism is a funny thing.”A fresh voiced debut, perfect for anyone who has ever felt unlikable. Not Here To Be Liked is a sharply intelligent read with a touch of painful reality that will leave a mark on your heart." Stephanie Garber, New York Times bestselling author of the Caraval series What’s also brilliant about this is that as well as gender stereotypes, it smashes the stereotype of the romance novel too. I absolutely loved the main character, Eliza. Referencing the Bechdel Test at one point, this book passes it with flying colours. Eliza’s friendships, family, activism and professional development are given far more focus than the romantic elements of the story. It's a great story that perfectly reflects the struggle to understand what you should stand for and what behavior you should call out, especially as a teenager. What does it mean to be a good feminist? Does falling for the guy who made you start this movement make you a bad feminist? I snort. "What does she think of alternate-universe Len?" "Oh, she likes him." "Does he like her?" "Sure. They get along pretty well." 😫

Not Here to Be Liked is a fierce coming of age story that had me cheering! Michelle Quach deftly explores intersectional feminism, first love, and complicated family relationships with honesty and heart." Elise BryantCould it be,” I say, in as conciliatory a tone as I can manage, “that maybe it’s not an environment where everyone feels comfortable . . . if we’re not allowed to talk publicly about something that is a normal, healthy part of life for every menstruating student and teacher at Willoughby?” The plot in itself was extremely enjoyable and it kept me wanting to read! Eliza was feisty, bold and everything a main character should be! The writing was brilliant and quite engaging! This mindset of not being like other girls is evident throughout Eliza’s perspective. She looks down at her older sister’s vanity, not understanding why Kim dolls herself up. For a young teenager like Eliza, she can’t comprehend why her sister would find wearing makeup or caring for her looks empowering. Though, it is hinted several times throughout the novel that Kim often feels like she only has her beauty and that her mother and aunt fret over the acne that begins to appear when Kim reaches middle school. Eliza, as she recalls this memory, overhears her mother whispering to her aunt, saying,

It also focused on showing what feminism actually is compared to what people think it is. If you’re a feminist, it doesn’t mean you can’t be with a boy. Seeing Eliza’s struggles with having feelings for a boy AND being a feminist but then slowly coming to understand that both can exist was a nice addition to the story. Not Here to Be Liked is a fierce coming of age story that had me cheering! Michelle Quach deftly explores intersectional feminism, first love, and complicated family relationships with honesty and heart." — Elise Bryant, author of Happily Ever Afters This seems to be a standard enemies to lovers story, and it is, but it’s also so much more. It’s about feminism, being Asian in the US, and of course love. Look, I get it. Tampons are embarrassing. Periods are embarrassing. (...) The whole specific business with the bleeding, though, is still not cool, except in certain woke corners of the internet. (...)

Publisher

My high school’s newspaper was a joke, so I’m always interested in YA books that have student journalists who actually know things and do stuff. the book asks eliza and the characters as well as it asks the reader a lot of seemingly simple questions but ironically not everyone finds them easy. because, what is "feminism," really? is it antagonistic to be a feminist? what draws the line between exclusion and inclusion when it comes to a movement like feminism? what's the real difference between activism and performative activism? is it possible to be a feminist, even if you actively reject the idea? We’re following the long driveway to our carport when my phone buzzes. The text is from James Jin, the current editor in chief of the Bugle : I not only loved that we got to know more about an Asian family, it also felt like a realistic portrayal because no family is actually perfect. We usually get dead parents trope (no offence meant here) to show a dysfunctional family in YA but a complete family also has it’s fair share of arguments and fights. Why couldn't Lady Justice just wear jeans and a T-shirt?' I complain. 'I mean, if she had a choice.'

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment