276°
Posted 20 hours ago

First Position: A brand-new spicy romance of forbidden love. A passionate and thrilling debut for 2023!

£8.495£16.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Finally, I say, “I don’t think it’s fair for you to say anything when all you’ve seen is— I don’t even know how much you saw.” I went into this mainly blindly. I had no expectations. I can’t judge how realistic this really was, but it gave me the vibes of how it could be behind the scenes? It turns out that it was written by a former Prima Ballerina. I won’t judge this on the level of realistic expectations. I take it as a fictional novel. As that, I enjoyed it immensely. I can get lost in a fantasy/illusion. All I can say is that I really enjoyed it. I listened to it in one day. The narration was done really well. I loved both narrators. One was vulnerable, one was bitchy and ambitious. I loved it. Jocelyn’s POV was mainly in the past. Sylvie, we get past and present. While the characters were fascinating, they author could have gone even deeper, especially when it comes to how to resolve the ending. falling out in a hissed bravado before I can catch them. “I have to be in my head! If I’m not, then my form falls apart. Or it would. I have to be on the stage, in the music, and I have to be thinking in my head. Of course I do.” This is probably one of the best representations of ballet and the ballet world I have read in a fiction book.’

First Position: A brand-new spicy summer romance of forbidden First Position: A brand-new spicy summer romance of forbidden

I push through the outer stage doors and begin my walk of shame up the grand, red velvet aisle of the empty theater. This is a book written by a ballet person for ballet people. There's no shortage of French ballet vocabulary. It's refreshing to see the terminology used correctly and playfully through out the book! First Position doesn't shy away from the gritty oftentimes toxic world of professional ballet. There's sex, there's drugs, and there's classical music. It's exactly what I needed it to be, but if you aren't a ballet person it might not be worth reading.The ballet world is glamorous, artistic, beautiful and fascinating. But it’s also dark and cruel. It’s competitive. One day you’re it, the next one you’re not. After finishing this novel, I can report that it's pretty good. It's fine, but it does not leave up to the potential of this subgenre. I also think the politics of ballet are extremely well rendered here, frustrating and infuriating as they may be to read about at times. The softness of his sweater—is it cashmere?—lightly touches the skin of my upper arm and I find myself not wanting to move.

First Position by Melanie Hamrick | Goodreads

Yes, just... then she was, but it’s fine.” I open my mouth to say more but lose all conviction one way or another. I shrug, not sure if I am actually defending myself or Diana. An] addictive novel perfect for those who love their story with forbidden and steamy elements for a romance book'The dual narrative of Sylvie and Jocelyn was fantastic, with incredible pacing! I so badly wanted to know what happened between all the characters and how Sylvie’s fall from grace came to be. I had moments of both fiercely loving and hating both the FMC’s and wanted so badly to be proud of where they ended up. This is definitely more of Sylvie’s story but it is ultimately about their relationship and what happened to and between them. nothing. That might be everyone else’s problem with it, but it’s exactly what I appreciate about it.

First Position by Melanie Hamrick | Waterstones

This timeline also bops around to THREE different points in time for absolutely no reason, and also has narratives from Sylvie AND occasionally Jocelyn: so unnecessary in the grand scheme of things. The one upside to this is at least Jocelyn's sections had a bit more energy and punch, although she's just as unlikable as Sylvie, if not moreso. To give you a bit more insight into the bulk of her personality, here's how Jocelyn's mind works: "He pushes his hips into mine and I remember again why I'm having this fling. He's got no personality but he's an amazing dancer with a huge d***" (Yep, this is ACTUALLY Jocelyn's inner monologue...such as it is.) And this book DID leave me wanting to jeté, alright.... but rather than a grand and graceful leap, I just wanted to jeté on OUT of there. 🩰 At first his eyes stay on the stage, even as he turns his head toward me, and then with a slow blink, he looks me in the eye. What?” Then I remember that I had laughed out loud. Like a crazy person. “Oh, that. No. Nothing is funny.”The pacing was slow and dragging, but the conclusion was well crafted. Nevertheless, I still had a hard time getting into the main story and connecting with any of the characters, which is why I decided to give a flat, uneventful, solid three stars. I wish I had enjoyed the book more than its alluring cover! But this book felt more at home with the likes of those describing, uh, certain OTHER positions....if you catch my drift... and voyeurism of this kind is a BIT more R rated than the vision I had of toe shoes and tutus (not to mention one that was also supposed to be peppered with thrills!) He gets up, and for a moment I feel a plunge of regret that I didn’t say anything interesting and instead sat here dumbly. But then he moves to the seat directly beside me. So edgy, so different, with a constant undercurrent of tension whether on the stage or in the bedroom… Raw and addictive. I loved it.’ When you see this cover and read the words "First Position," you might think that this is a simply a book about the dark side of ballet...you know, first position, second position, etc.

Pleasure and pliés: the ballet bonkbusters handling dance’s

I don’t know what I want anymore, and I used to know exactly what I wanted. I know that I did. Somewhere along the way that changed. And I know exactly when.’ JFK Allegedly Never Consummated His Relationship With This Controversial Actress Despite Months ofDating I can tell you have passion,” he said easily, clearly unaware of—or undeterred by—the turmoil of reactivity thirteen inches away from him. “I watched you for only a little while up there, not even alone, and I know you can be much better than you are. Even better, I should say.” She slid off him and knelt between his legs, relishing the view of his taut, muscular thighs. God bless every ballet teacher who ever made this man do pliés, she thought.”When I dance I feel like a vessel. I don’t experience hunger or thirst. Pain and exhaustion take on a different sort of tolerable life. Carnal desire is set aside from the dance itself. The hands on you don’t feel the same as they would off the stage. But tonight, it is something different. I am deeply aware of the heat from his body as it touches my skin … I am unable to feel nothing.” Jocelyn joins the North American Ballet Company at the same time as Sylvie. She is a much different dancer, though – not blond or classically trained from when she could walk. Jocelyn's talent shows through her ability to emote rather than her unfailing technique. Sometimes rivals with Sylvie, and sometimes friends; she is always present in Sylvie's life.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment