276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Future of Geography: How Power and Politics in Space Will Change Our World – THE NO.1 SUNDAY TIMES BESTSELLER

£10£20.00Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Tim Marshall was born May 1, 1959 in England. He was educated at Prince Henry’s Grammar School, a state-funded comprehensive school in the market town of Otley, close to Leeds, West Yorkshire.

Where Prisoners was almost solely the influence of physical geography, The Power of Geography is almost exclusively human geography (see also: history) and I am personally more of a fan of the former.

Publication Order of TimMarshall Non-Fiction Books

This book is 100% false advertising. "The Power of Geography". Very little geography. "Ten maps that reveal the future of our world." The maps don't do this whatsoever. Tim, during his twenty-four years at Sky News, reported from thirty countries and covered the events of twelve wars. He’s reported from the United States (covering three US Presidential Elections), Europe, and Asia, as well as from the field in Serbia (during the Balkan wars of the 1990s), Bosnia, and Croatia. One of his most notable moments on Sky News involved a six hour unbroken broadcast during the first Gulf War. He was the final journalist to interview Pakistan’s Benazhir Bhutto ahead of her return from exile and subsequent assassination. With thousands of satellites already in low-Earth orbit (LEO), we're used to the idea of mature technology circulating in space. But the 21st century has seen the emergence of private space-tech entrepreneurs who smell money in the stars, and it is a rare news cycle that rolls by without mention of another 'Moon shot' and its inevitable claim to be a step further towards Mars. Space, as Marshall observes, is the new geographical frontier. I cannot even count the number of times I've passed like a complete illiterate by saying stuff like Iranians are Arabic. And this is no small thing. One day a girl asked me if all Colombians were Mexicans. I was so confused by what she even meant with the question. Of course, I'm sure I've been on the ignorant side of the question more times that I've realized. Compared to Marshall's previous book, "Prisoners of Geography," "The Power of Geography" is a bit less focused. While the former book zoomed in on the geopolitical implications of physical features like mountains, rivers, and coastlines, the latter takes a broader view of geography, considering everything from climate patterns to migration patterns. While this does make for a more comprehensive look at the subject, it can also feel a bit scattered at times. It also tends to oversimplify some of the complex issues it covers.

He has written for many of the national newspapers including the Times, the Guardian, the Daily Telegraph, and the Sunday Times.The complexity of the current situation is well described in Tim Marshall’s latest book. This builds on his previous works on the influence of geography on the conduct of international affairs. Now he looks to the heavens and warns us how the intense geopolitical rivalries of the moment are shaping a new space race. He worries that the cooperative endeavour symbolised by the International Space Station is now giving way to more intense competition for resources and strategic points, for which the 1967 Outer Space Treaty provides inadequate guidance. Spain: Ongoing independence movement from Catalan and other areas that threaten to divide the country. Divided continues Tim Marshall’s popular series of books on global politics, following Prisoners of Geography and Worth Dying For. In this new book, he explains one consequence of the rise in nationalism and identity politics is that walls are going up. Over 6,000 miles of fences and barriers have been erected in the past ten years, and they are redefining our political landscape. Tim Marshall was Diplomatic Editor and foreign correspondent for Sky News. After thirty years’ experience in news reporting and presenting, he left full time news journalism to concentrate on writing and analysis.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment