276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Psyche and Eros: A Novel

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

This is one of my favorite Greek myths, as it’s one of the few where the female is the hero in her own tale and wins her own happy ending. She fights for it, and hard, but she does see victory in the end. I thought that McNamara presented it very well. The romance was fun and sweet with just the right amount of tension for the story to really work. Psyche is a strong character, and even though she is not generally a warrior in classic tellings of the tale, I thought her ferocity balanced well with her kindness, and both worked beautifully for the story. Eros was presented as more likable and fleshed-out that is typical, which I appreciated, as well. And I love how thoroughly the author embraced the magic of the time and place. Plot: I really liked following along on Psyche's adventures. From first training with Atalanta, to the shores of the Trojan War, to her daring quest to the underworld. And of course, let's not forget Eros's role as a beguiling God of desire cursed to love a mortal. Their love story was sweet and slow and had a lovely little happily ever after.

Fiercely feminist and deeply romantic, Psyche and Eros has the allure of an old fable and the epic quality of ancient myth, tinged with a provocative, modern wit. Passionate and deftly-told.” — Ava Reid, #1 New York Times bestselling author of The Wolf and the Woodsman and A Study in DrowningI enjoyed Eros’ character arc, though I admit to finding Psyche just a smidge more developed. I did, however, really love Eros’ alternating POV chapters as they allowed us to delve into the thought processes and emotions of the gods, which we don’t always get to do in retellings. A stunning, exciting and hotly-anticipated feminist retelling of one of the greatest love stories in Greek mythology! McNamara writes interesting characters and fleshes this myth out in a way that adds meaningfully to the current trend of exploring the lives of women in antiquity." — Book Riot I adored McNamara’s lush, vibrant prose and endearingly complex characters-especially Psyche, who quite possibly had the biggest transformation from the original.

An enthralling tale of adventure, romance, and star-crossed lovers.” — SUE LYNN TAN, bestselling author of Daughter of the Moon GoddessIt’s presented as a retelling of Eros and Psyche, a myth and a famous novel written by Apuleius that I’ve read this year and studied at school years ago. As an amateur of Greek and Roman mythology, I couldn’t wait to start this retelling, not aware that everything differs from the original myth or, in general, from mythology itself. Psyche in the original myth is a wonderful, modest woman, and STRONG, not because she’s a “warrior” and “hero” that underwent the tutelage of Atalanta (seriously where did this storyline even pop up into existence for the author they never even MET in the myth let alone were teacher and student) but because she went through so many tasks and obstacles and even ventured into the underworld absolutely TERRIFIED but determined to find her long lost love. That’s what makes her strong and beautiful.

In this utterly transporting reimagining of Greek mythology, the god of desire is cursed to fall for a spirited young mortal woman, but if she looks upon his face they will be parted forever—an epic adventure and love story for the ages, sure to satisfy fans of Madeline Miller and V.E. Schwab First off, I do want to mention that there are quite a few big changes made to Psyche and Eros’ tale both character and plot wise, which you may be disappointed by if you prefer your retellings to stay 100% faithful to the source material. Personally, I actually didn’t mind the changes and really enjoyed the modern take on this classical Greek myth. Even Eros (a god himself) shows contempt for the selfish (sometimes harmful) games Zeus’ pantheon of Gods partake in (including his disgust and guilt at some of his own questionable decisions.) so I’m pretty sad, but felt I should warn people that are excited about this book. Of course this is just an opinion, feel free to read it and make one for yourself, but I’m just SO DISAPPOINTED. A beautiful retelling, breathing new life into a beloved myth. Luna McNamara weaves an enthralling tale of adventure, romance, and star-crossed lovers, in an enchanting world of ancient gods and legends.” — Sue Lynn Tan, bestselling author of Daughter of the Moon GoddessAphrodite, who reads an awful lot like the version of the goddess as seen in Xena, is the book’s only villain, by the way, as McNamara has removed Psyche’s jealous sisters from the equation here. An enthralling tale of adventure, romance, and star-crossed lovers’ Sue Lynn Tan, bestselling author of Daughter of the Moon Goddess Thrown together by fate, headstrong Psyche and world-weary Eros will face challenges greater than they could have ever imagined. As the Trojan War begins and divine powers try to keep them apart, the pair must determine: could this be true love, or is that only a myth? This book took all of what makes Psyche a wonderful mythological figure, and basically switched it around. Luna McNamara’s captivating retelling of the love story between Psyche and Eros takes inspiration from Greek and Roman mythology, whilst putting a fresh spin on fabled gods and famous legends of classical literature. . . . A sweeping novel that combines light romance, heroic adventures and thoughtful allegories. . . . If you’re searching for something that switches up popular myths and offers up a modern angle on classical characters, Psyche and Eros more than delivers." — Culturefly (UK) -

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment