276°
Posted 20 hours ago

My Secret War Diary, by Flossie Albright

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

The author's choice to set the story in a boarding house gave her the opportunity to include an interesting range of characters as a "family unit" for Madeline, including Jewish German refuges. I got my strength up and opened the door, there was a tall man saying it wasn’t safe for my kids (Alice and Thomas) to live in Edinburgh anymore and they were going to be evacuated. She loved books from an early age and remembers being read to almost every night; "I would often be scared, especially by fairy tales, but I never wanted the stories to end. The author of the international phenomenon War Horse brings us a moving tale of secrets and survival bound together by the power of music.

Download My Secret War PDF – PDF Download Read Download My Secret War PDF – PDF Download

She crushes on her young boy friend, regaling him with tales of her father's bravery and heroism, but sometimes worrying that if he starts to like her in "that way" then she suddenly won't be free to be herself anymore. But her own special blend of courage, humour and fighting spirit see her through to the Armistice, when she can welcome her dad home at last. The content is quite comprehensive (though I wish she could have mentioned Canada's contributions too).When Erik strikes up an unlikely friendship with German Radar operator, Hans, the pair soon become involved in a race against time to help destroy the Nazi warship, Tirpitz. This will be a book I share with my daughters as they mature and truly learn about the war, so they can get a better sense of what life was like for Americans at that time. late elementary, early middle school, I'd say, the author did a good job of balancing the truth of the time without making it too depressing. This is simply wonderful - in scrapbook/diary format, this is Flossie Albright's account of her life during the Second World War [.

My Secret War Diary, by Flossie Albright - Google Books My Secret War Diary, by Flossie Albright - Google Books

It is the Second World War and Carrie and Nick are evacuated from London to a small town in Wales, where they are placed with strict Mr Evans and his timid mouse of a sister. David learns that his polite manner, his haunted eyes and his thin features are strange to other people. Maddie's father is in the Navy during WWII and she and her mother, who move often, live in a boarding house in Long Island, New York.Following Archie's War, which recorded in diary form the First World War home-front experience of a ten year old, Williams now turns to Archie's daughter, Flossie Albright. Each page overflows with visual elements: the cursive font of the typography, childlike thumbnail drawings depicting both events and emotions and letters from relatives, for example. But her own special blend of courage, humour and fighting spirit sees her through to the Armistice, when she can welcome her dad home at last. And, well, there is something that doesn't sit quite right with me about the token Jewish refugee kid and the token black American soldier.

My Secret War Diary, by Flossie Albright | BookTrust

Among her highly acclaimed titles are Greek Myths (9781406303476), Mr William Shakespeare's Plays (9780744569469), God and His Creations: Tales from the Old Testament (9781844285280) and Oliver Twist and Other Great Dickens Stories (9781406305630). It was quite long, and I'm not sure that the intended age group would actually make it all the way through, but I found it very enjoyable. Their friend Albert is luckier, living in Druid's Bottom with Hepzibah Green who tells wonderful stories, and the strange Mister Johnny, who speaks a language all of his own.But Tips, Lily's adored cat, has other ideas – barbed wire and keep-out signs mean nothing to her, nor does the danger of guns and bombs.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment