276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Tornado: In the Eye of the Storm

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

A magical adventure for fans of Katherine Applegate and Jennifer Holm about a girl with a mysterious connection to the elephant who saved her life.

Are we deranged? The acclaimed Indian novelist Amitav Ghosh argues that future generations may well think so. How else to explain our imaginative failure in the face of global warming? In his first major book of nonfiction since In an Antique Land, Ghosh examines our inability--at the level of literature, history, and politics--to grasp the scale and violence of climate change. The extreme nature of today's climate events, Ghosh asserts, make them peculiarly resistant to contemporary modes of thinking and imagining. This is particularly true of serious literary fiction: hundred-year storms and freakish tornadoes simply feel too improbable for the… I'm the wrong reader for this book, I don't like reading about how the Iraqis tortured aircrew, I really just want to read about flying, I also didn't like the hyperbole about the Tornado, it's never been one of my favorites. Read here why the Tornado was a mistake: What Stands In A Storm: Three Days In The Worst Superstorm To Hit The South’s Tornado Alley – Kim Cross In just a few short months the Tornado force had undergone a massive transformation, from a Cold War, low-level, primarily nuclear strike force, to a highly accurate, medium-level laser-guided bomber and one of the most experienced combat forces in the world." This is the story of the aircrew at the heart of Operation Desert Storm, almost none of whom had any prior experience of armed combat. It is the story of the Tornado’s missions, of those who did not return - and of the families who watched and waited as one of the most complex conflicts in recent history unfolded live on television.Most commonly found in the North American continent, tornadoes generally spin at 180 kilometres per hour (110 miles per hour), though the most destructive can reach speeds of up to 480 kilometres per hour (300 mph), covering a distance of over 62 miles. Join us at What We Reading as we present the best tornado books that delve into how they formed, the biggest ones recorded and how brave meteorologists dedicate their lives to studying these incredible weather patterns. I am the mother of six and a voracious journaler. I am also a novelist. Though I’ve found that the facts of family adventures are often more fascinating than fiction. I bring in-the-moment observations as well as decade-seasoned insights to the world of family life. I also love reading about other families with all their quirks and joys. Betsy Byars was an American author of children's books. She wrote over sixty books for young people. Her first novel was published in 1962. Her novel Summer of the Swans won the 1971 Newbery Medal. She also received a National Book Award for Young People's Literature for The Night Swimmers and an Edgar Award for Wanted ... Mud Blossom!! There's so much in this book it's astounding. I'm really impressed the author was able to put so much together, keep it coherent, keep it interesting, still drive a fast pace, and then wrap it up all nicely. For the tech buffs, there's also a fair detail on the aircraft itself, how and what Tornado could do and did, there's stuff on military doctrine, and then some.

Tornado Times- 1979-1989 Tri-national Tornado Training Establishment, Tornado Weapon Conversion Unit, Tornado OEU. I am an author and illustrator of several picture books including My Daddy Can Fly, Starboy - Inspired by the Life and Lyrics of David Bowie, Imagination Vacation, Seb and the Sun and Mae and the Moon. I’ve always been a curious person filled with wonder at our amazing world, and I love letting my imagination get taken away by a good book. I find picture books to be the perfect format to blend my love of illustration and story, and some of the stories I love the most are those that are imaginative and magical, but also give a little tug at the heartstrings, fill us with warmth and make us want to read them again and again. I have always been interested in the environment, ever since I studied Human Ecology under Professor Roger Revelle at Harvard. Several summer jobs in the Arctic with the Geological Survey of Canada gave me an early appreciation of what climate change meant for the polar region, and a more recent visit to Greenland brought the environmental devastation there more into focus. Also, having escaped from Communist Hungary in 1956, I have keenly followed Russia and its superpower ambitions, so it was natural for me to combine these two areas of interest into an environmental thriller. I am now writing a sequel, Arctic Inferno. Nichol, as he does so well, starts with two stories. The first is about a young Tornado pilot called Dave Waddington, 24, and his veteran navigator, Robbie Stewart, 44, who is married with two teenage kids. This is Jan-1991 and they have a mission in a Tornado. The other story is how the Tornado came into being. There is something about a 'happily ever after' that, no matter how hard it is to get there, it is so satisfying when you do. If there is a little humor mixed in with mystery that can take your emotions on a rollercoaster, that’s all the better. I decided to write romance because I do believe in fairy tales. I believe love is a choice. You make it what you want. I am a romantic suspense author because I love the thrill of solving the crime. In many cases, truth is stranger than fiction. Many times I use real-life issues and moments in time in my writing to pique the readers' curiosity.The Tri-State tornado of 1925 remains the deadliest tornado in US history, and author Geoff Partlow follows its devastating path from town to town in America’s Deadliest Twister. Travelling through southeast Missouri, southern Illinois and southwestern Indiana along 219 miles, it generated winds of 300mph and killed 695 people. An elephant never forgets, but Lexington Willow can't remember her past. Swept away by a tornado as a toddler, she was dropped in a nearby Nebraska zoo, where an elephant named Nyah protected her from the storm. With no trace of her family, Lex grew up at the zoo with her foster father, Roger; her best friend, Fisher; and the wind whispering in her ear.

Author Absurdist Speculative Fiction Fanatic Connoisseur of Paradoxes Wordplay Junky World Traveller I thoroughly enjoyed this, a great piece of historical non-fiction writing that reads like a thriller. John Nichol is the unique position of being a combatant (giving his narrative immediacy and authenticity) writing 30 years after the fact (giving a measure of perspective) who is also a talented writer (bringing coherence, drama, and clear analysis). The way the author weaves the story together is remarkable. You feel like you are there, you’re in the action, part of the story. Drawing from numerous sources, but especially the flight crews directly involved, it never loses pace or focus. So often these type of books chop around from source to source but the author has skilfully crafted a consistent commentary which is seamless to the reader and you cannot help but be being swept along with. While this is a history of the Tornado over 50 years from conception to retirement only a single chapter is dedicated to the period 1969 - 1990, and another from 1992 to 2019. The bulk of the book focuses on 1990 - 91, and the Tornado's preparation for and participation in Operation Granby / Desert Storm. Nichol himself was a Tornado navigator, and famously was shot down and captured in Iraq along with his pilot.For a more historical tornado book that documents the efforts that have gone into understanding these natural disasters, Lee Sandlin’s Storm Kings is a must-read. From Benjamin Franklin’s early experiments, “the great storm debates” of the nineteenth century to contemporary living in Tornado Alley, Sandlin masterfully traces the fascination North America has had with tornadoes. Some great detail about the Tornado aircraft and what it felt like to fly such an incredible machine, but also a lot about the many individuals whose personal experience this story details. Former Tornado Navigator John Nichol tells the incredible story of the RAF Tornado force during the First Gulf War in 1991; the excitement and the danger, the fear and the losses. It is an extraordinary account of courage and fortitude. Vignettes about a beloved family pet, Tornado. Tornado appears, you guessed it, during a tornado. Bobby adopts the dog and becomes good friends with him. I like the story of the hole and the cat best. Cute little book. Although tornadoes have been spotted in every U.S. state, many form in a region called Tornado Alley. This zone in the Midwest extends from Texas to Ohio and includes Iowa, Kansas, South Dakota, Oklahoma, and Nebraska.

I’ve been working professionally as a writer for twenty-five years. I’m nothing close to a household name, but a number of my articles have gone viral throughout the years. I’ve had educators reach out to mention they’ve taught my work at both the high school and college levels. Writing is an occupation of passion, and the authors I’ve mentioned are all talented and passionate about their craft. It’s rare to find people who speak the truth anywhere in our society. These writers don’t just speak the truth, they make it sing.Whether you read it as an adult or with a child, before or after you have seen the movie multiple times, you can marvel at how Dorothy and all the characters (and there are many more in the books than in the movie) inspire the readers by overcoming adversity. About the Author: John Nichol served in the Royal Air Force for fifteen years. On active duty during the first Gulf War in 1991, his Tornado bomber was shot down during a mission over Iraq. Captured, tortured and held as a prisoner of war, John was paraded on television, provoking worldwide condemnation and leaving one of the most enduring images of the conflict. If winds from the thunderstorm vary greatly in speed or direction, the updraft will begin to rotate. As the rotating updraft draws in more warm air from the moving thunderstorm, its rotation speed increases, and a funnel cloud begins to form. As the twister gains strength, the funnel becomes longer. (The funnel becomes more visible as more dirt and debris is caught in its rotation.) It’s most dangerous when it touches the ground. The premise of this book gets big points for originality: Lexington Willow is orphaned as a toddler by a tornado, literally blowing into the life of elephant Nyah, who protects and comforts the little girl in the storm and forms a mysterious connection with her. The wind is also a character in the book, hanging around long after the tornado. It knows things Lex doesn’t, and sometimes whispers to her. My ignorance of the First Gulf War is around about 100% or it was until I read this. I knew about it but did not really think that much happened from our (British) perspective. In Jan-1991 we were sending out Tornados to hit Saddam. Saddam Hussein had invaded Kuwait in Aug-1990.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment