276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Out of the Dark (Orphan X, 4)

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Out Of The Dark is the fourth book in the Orphan X series by best-selling American author, Gregg Hurwitz. Among other things, Evan Smoak’s extensive training made him a skilled assassin. His very first mission, in an unnamed Eastern European state, involved the assassination of a foreign minister; it is this mission that somehow has led to his latest one. And he’s setting his sights high with this target: the President of the United States. Taken from a group home at age twelve, Evan Smoak was raised and trained as part of the Orphan Program, an off-the-books operation designed to create deniable intelligence assets—i.e. assassins. Evan was Orphan X. He broke with the Program, using everything he learned to disappear and reinvent himself as the Nowhere Man, a man who helps the truly desperate when no one else can. But now Evan's past is catching up to him. Just awesome, once again, Hurwitz leaves me hanging with an ending similar to the last time. Gaaah!!

NetGalley and Minotaur Books provided me an advance copy of the book in exchange for an unbiased review. Thanks for making this available! A scene for the good ol’ boys among Hurwitz fans. Then there are highly choreographed battles between Evan (mostly alone) and a dozen or so bad guys with no redeeming features, so we won’t worry too much about their being crushed by a gate. He does his best to avoid or minimise collateral damage, but it’s going to be hard this time, when his target is the President of the United States. The best part for me came with the end.... When it was all said and done, this felt like a story of redemption. Last we saw Orphan X his high rise ultra secure lair had been blown up and he was falling from the sky so to speak. Orphan X who is really Evan Smoak is busy rebuilding and improving it and is hiring illegal's to do the work but paying them exorbitant wages as he is that type of guy. X is part of a now defunct government run op who is a lethal weapon and literally see things unfold steps ahead of everyone else. With all the bad he has done X now pays it forward by helping people in need. Once helped your bill as his customer is to provide his phone number to another person who is in need of true help. Evan is Orphan X, and he is on a daunting mission: “Killing the President was going to be a lot of work.” To be sure, the morally corrupt President Bennett is trying to cover up his crimes by wiping out everyone in the darker than dark Orphan program that he once oversaw. The two men know they're out to get each other, and Bennett is “the most inaccessible and heavily guarded man on the face of the planet.” Further, Secret Service Special Agent in Charge Naomi Templeton is given the job of protecting him against X, so simply shooting up a presidential motorcade won’t cut it. Meanwhile, there’s a distinct subplot—fans already know that Orphan X is the Nowhere Man, who helps certain people who call his encrypted cellphone. This time the desperate caller is Trevon Gaines, who’s found his entire immediate family slaughtered but is kept alive by the drug-smuggling killers who call him a “retard.” Trevon is a highly sympathetic character who notices precise details wherever he looks, only eats yellow or orange food, and frets about the “Scaredy Bugs” in his head. Protecting him and his lone remaining relative is a side job for Orphan X that lets him do what he does best: kill a lot of criminals. Oh yeah, and there’s a dude called Orphan A who doesn’t have his fellow orphan’s best interests at heart. The plotting is clever, the action is nearly constant and usually over-the-top, and X has something resembling a moral core. Bad guys get what bad guys deserve, and we don’t need no stinkin’ due process.The relationship between Evan and Mia is problematical because Mia is a prosecutor and Evan is a shady character, but they're drawn to each other anyway. In this book Mia experiences a health scare, and Evan gets even more involved with the prosecutor and her boy.

So I couldn't get all comfortable on a nice piece of upholstered furniture.... I had to read this on my computer instead of my kindle. Didn't matter, I love the Orphan X books and I couldn't wait until January to read it. This is the 4th book in the series and while it can be read as a stand-alone, the previous books introduce the recurring characters (several) and should be read so as to fully understand Evan's heart. Evan reinvented himself as the Nowhere Man, the person people turn to when they have no hope left. Evan helps one person at a time, often putting himself at great risk, but the missions give him purpose, and helping others makes him feel like he's making amends for his past sins in some way. Evan asks Joey to oversee his apartment's renovations while he's gone, and in one of the book's lighter moments, Evan comes home to find a disco ball and Velcro jumping wall installed in his living room. Joey and Peter - the 9-year-old son of Evan's neighbor Mia Hall - are in Velcro suits, throwing themselves against the jumping wall....much to Evan's dismay. The President knows Evan is on to him, and figures the only way to catch an Orphan is with another Orphan—Orphan A, the very first Orphan the program created, and one of the deadliest. Evan must devise a plan to take down the President before he can destroy all of the evidence of his past misdeeds, but this is the biggest challenge he's ever faced—and perhaps the most dangerous. No time for that! Trevon is an anxious young man, “high-functioning”, he says, who is depending on the Nowhere Man for help. Trevon’s mama raised him with rules, and he always obeys the rules. Trevon was kidnapped and threatened by really nasty dudes, and now he’s all alone with a bad case of the Scaredy-Bugs, trying hard to be brave. Evan has no choice but to make good on his promise to help, all while carrying out his personal assignment.

For readers familiar with the series, former Orphan Candy McClure makes an appearance - and she's as sexy and capable as ever. That drug l

Full of action, adventure and some great technology, this cat and mouse chase is exciting and riveting! I felt like I was on an amusement park ride full of twists and upside down turns. Not a surprise that I held my breath at times, holding my iPad way too tight. One of the orphans from a previous book also drops in for a visit and it’s not what you’d think. Taken from a group home at age twelve, Evan Smoak was raised and trained as part of the Orphan Program, an off-the-books operation designed to create deniable intelligence assets - i.e. assassins. Evan was Orphan X. He broke with the Program, using everything he learned to disappear and reinvent himself as the Nowhere Man, a man who helps the truly desperate when no one else can. But now Evan's past is catching up to him. For President Jonathan Bennett, reaching the White House was the realisation of lifetime's ambition. He's leader of the free world and the most powerful man on earth. But public support for his administration is wearing thin. And if the truth about his rise to the top was exposed it would bury him. Filled with non stop, over the top action,Out of the Darkis unputdownable andyou’ll find yourself holding your breath from time to time as you cheer Evanon his quest.Gregg Hurwitzdid a great job preparing this book for first timers to the series,but I highly suggest that you treat yourself to all other previously released books, as there are great and you will understand the story arc better. OUT OF THE DARK is Gregg Hurwitz’s latest razor-sharp tale of Evan Smoak, a product of a life of being trained to kill, no questions asked, but somewhere along the line, Orphan X began to ask questions, and he became a threat to be eliminated. Until then, he is the last resort for those in need, he has found his moral compass and he is looking to pay it forward to those responsible for what he became. Vengeance will be his…

Out of the Dark

Dude, in “Out of the Dark,” Evan Smoak had me in fear for his life. (I know, I know, he puts his own life in his hands all of the time, but THIS TIME?!).. Frak. Just frak. I can’t even. Thanks to Netgalley, the author (Gregg Hurwitz), and the publisher (Minotaur Books) for a copy of the book.

Having seen the authors name for the last few years and the Orphan X books I now, after reading this, regret not taking notice before and for it taking me so long to discover this series Meanwhile, a young man on the autism spectrum dials into the infamous ‘Nowhere Man’ hotline, just as Evan is battling his most formidable opponent to date. Forced into retirement, Evan Smoak gets an urgent request for help from someone he didn't even suspect existed.His tangled web gets more and more criss-crossed when the Roam-Zone rings during a battle, or when the various deadlines for his activities start conflicting. I quite liked his exasperation in this scene.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment