276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Murder at the Theatre Royale: The perfect murder mystery (A Christmas Mystery, 2)

£4.495£8.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

In the home of the restless ghost of the Grey Lady, world premieres by Emma Rice, Matthew Bourne and Tonderai Munyevu will be complemented by scary appearances by horror favourites Dracula, The Hound Of the Baskervilles and the Headless Horseman. ONCE nights start to draw in, York Theatre Royal will fill its stage with spirits and shadows in The Haunted Season from September 9. I can’t write in any more detail about the plot but my advice is for the audience to forget all preconceptions. One is led into what can only be described as an existential nightmare with non-sequential frighteners and haunting appearances aplenty. Watch out for the ghostly ballerina! When Nigel receives a poison pen letter in the post, Detective Inspector Berry arrives to investigate. Jeremy Lloyd Thomas portrays him almost—but not quite—as a pantomime character. He is an amateur dramatics fan who is influenced by Agatha Christie and Francis Durbridge as well as Forbes and Goodman whose plays he knows inside out.

Murder at Theatre Royal, Nottingham Review All About Murder at Theatre Royal, Nottingham Review

The mystery itself is quite compelling and gains momentum the more you read. All loose ends are tied up in the denouement and, although perhaps not predictable from the evidence given (this is one of those revelations where the detective reveals information that you didn't previously have), the explanation for who committed the murders and how is satisfying and uses a considerable amount of seemingly 'inconsequential' information from earlier on. As with some of the best mysteries, the culprit's motives are understandable and I couldn't help but feel sorry for a person who has been driven to such actions to 'put things right'. The case of James Hadfield put legislation on high treason and the custody of insane people into the spotlight. As a result, James Hadfield was a major catalyst in establishing the Criminal Lunatics Act 1800 and Treason Act 1800 which were reportedly proposed by the prosecution no more than four days after the trial. He also indirectly influenced the opening of Bedlam (later known as Bethlem) Hospital to detain lunatics.I thought it would be pretty neat if a perfect murder expert could write a piece about The Perfect Murder.” It's Christmas at London's Theatre Royale and journalist Daphne King is determined to solve an extraordinary mystery... The play stars Shane Ritchie and Jessie Wallace, two fine actors who have a wonderful, if not troublesome, rapport on stage as an unhappily married couple, Victor and Joan Smiley. There is plenty of humour in both plays and the plots feature a man eager to kill his wife so that he can cash in an insurance policy. The last time that I’d watched M Poirot was a couple of weeks ago with a huge Hollywood style film production of Death on the Nile starring Kenneth Branagh as Poirot alongside a host of famous acting talent, and Russell Brand, in a production that while glitzy and big budget, just didn’t somehow hit the mark. This new production at the Theatre Royal did away with the Hollywood royalty and instead relied on a great screenplay, a perfectly cast lead and wonderfully creative scenery.

Murder at the Theatre Royale: The perfect murder mystery (A

A nice, cosy murder mystery with endearing and secretive characters and an ending that I couldn't have guessed.James Hadfield was a former Army Captain who was fighting in Flanders in the 15 th Light Dragoons Regiment. He was an Army Captain of exemplary conduct, according to the records, who was injured through various wounds to the head while in battle in 1794. Murder in the Dark is being performed at York Theatre Royal until 23 September 2023. The production is presented by Original Theatre, Trafalgar Theatre productions and JAS Theatricals. The director is Philip Franks. I am sorry that, to me, this reads like an over elaborate creative writing exercise. Or maybe an attempt at parody. I do think some readers will enjoy it. But not for me, disappointingly. Better still, head to the Theatre Royal, Newcastle, this week to see how international bestselling author Peter James does it.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment