276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Honeywell Comfort Control Tower Fan (3 Speed Settings, Oscillating 110°, Timer Function, Remote Control, Easy to Use Controls) HO-5500

£49.995£99.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

It’s easy to use, has a timer and a great natural breeze setting, and is reasonably powerful by compact tower fan standards; we measured the maximum airflow at 2.2m/sec. It’s also light enough to lug around everywhere, which is handy in a heatwave. Throw in low energy consumption, even at higher speeds, and this is the best of the compact options. If you have limited space, a tower fan is a good option as they are compact and have a smaller footprint. They are usually more expensive than pedestals and desk fans but have more high-tech features. In addition, their bladeless design makes them quieter, making them perfect for bedrooms. If you’re looking for a modern, minimalist or futuristic look, a tower fan is the type you need. Where should a tower fan be placed in a room? Because we know there’s nothing like a genuine recommendation from a real parent, we first headed to the Mumsnet forums to find out which tower fans discerning Mumsnet users had bought. Next, we compiled a list of fans they recommended, noting how effective they found them and whether they were particularly good for specific needs. Automatic mode: Some high-spec fans can be programmed to switch on when the room reaches a particular temperature.

Air speeds: 3 | Night mode: Yes | Dimensions: 19 x 19 x 81.5cm | Weight: 4.6kg | Cord length: Not specified | Wi-Fi connectivity: No | Remote control: Yes | Oscillation angle: 70 degrees | Power: 60W What we like Air speeds: 10 | Night mode: Yes | Dimensions: 23 x 19 x 107cm | Weight: 2.85kg | Cord length: 1.8m | Wi-Fi connectivity: No | Remote control: Yes | Oscillation angle: Not specified | Power: 56W What we like Instead, the best reason to get this fan is that it pushes so much air out over such a high and wide area, thanks to the sheer size of the fan, a 2.4m/sec maximum airflow and an 80˚ degree oscillation feature. It’s just a shame that it’s noisy, putting out 46dB at its highest settings and 40dB even in Sleep mode, while the Natural mode is plain distracting, constantly revving up and revving down the fan speed. Still, if you want a fan for a large space and noise doesn’t matter, this one’s a keeper, and one of the few tower fans we’ve tested that can rival a pedestal fan on reach and range. It doesn’t take up as much space, yet it’s a serious tower of power. The Vornado 154 Tower Fan is an innovative cooling appliance that continuously circulates the air and pushes it 80 feet away, so you feel the breeze constantly wherever you are in the room. In addition, despite having lots of power, it is still remarkably quiet on gentle settings. We also love how easy it is to clean and the nighttime timer, which means you won’t be paying for it to run while you’re asleep.

Honeywell is one of the big players in the world of tower fans, and the HO-5500RE is a good example of why, with a decent design and a powerful blast of air at the top end. You can never bank on getting hot weather in the UK but, when it does come, it can come with a thump. When the mercury rises and the air stays still, it’s almost impossible to escape the humidity and heat, yet – for most of us – air conditioning is overkill. Get hold of a fan, however, and you can get a breeze going inside your home and make the temperature a bit more bearable. Put one in the lounge and you can properly chill out; get one in the bedroom and you might just get some sleep. This isn’t the perfect fan for sleepers, as even on its lowest setting it’s far from silent, but it’s fine for cooling down a small living room or taking some heat out of the bedroom before sleep. Looking for maximum cooling for a minimal cost? The Igenix is pretty hard to beat. The best tower fan for cooling will look great and create powerful airflow without drowning out the TV. In addition, most are more compact and affordable than the best portable air conditioner or air cooler, and they will make life on hot days much more comfortable. And, while it may seem like summer has only just started, we suggest snapping up a tower fan now before everyone else has the same idea and demand goes through the roof - we're already seeing some models flying off the (virtual) shelves.

It’s compact, lightweight, and has a sturdy carry handle, so it's easy to carry from room to room. Unfortunately, it doesn’t have a remote control which is a shame, but its ability to effectively cool all corners of a small space is impressive. One of the most powerful tower fans on our list, the Pro Breeze boasts 60 watts, three speeds and three wind modes from standard to natural, then sleep. It is ideal for cooling large rooms, but you will need it on sleep mode during the night as it can be noisy on the higher setting. Size: Tower fans can be as tall as 1.5 metres, which is fantastic if you have a large room but not if you want a fan that will sit neatly and discreetly in the corner of a room. Most tower fans have a small footprint so they won’t take up a lot of floor space. We have a Dyson tower fan. When we bought it I thought it was a waste of money for just a fan, but my goodness, it is brilliant. So much better at making me feel cooler than any other fan I've had. So quiet on lower settings. They are pricey, but we have two now, they are saving me this week.” (Recommended by TheBitterBoy) Our verdict Desk fans: A desk fan will be small enough to sit on an office desk, bookcase or bedside table. They are usually shaped like a pedestal fan, but some compact tower designs are available. Do tower fans cool better than regular fans?

How to clean a tower fan

Our biggest gripe is the noise level. It's quite loud on the maximum setting, but thankfully the lowest speed is a lot quieter for a peaceful bedtime. Overall though, we think it's a great value buy. You could say we're big fans . Air speeds: 4 | Night mode: No | Dimensions: 27.94 x 27.94 x 81.28cm | Weight: 3.82kg | Cord length: Not specified | Wi-Fi connectivity: No | Remote control: Yes | Oscillation angle: Not specified | Power: 72W What we like Air speeds: 3 | Night mode: No | Dimensions: 24 x 24 x 76cm | Weight: 2.66kg | Cord length: 1.8m | Wi-Fi connectivity: No | Remote control: No | Oscillation angle: 80 degrees | Power: 45W What we like Remote control: A remote control lets you switch your fan on and off and alter the settings from the comfort of your armchair or bed. Some tower fan remotes are magnetic so that they can be stored safely and conveniently on the exterior of the fan. A Dyson appliance is an investment; however, the high-tech features, two-year guarantee and ability to reach the corners of large rooms make it worth the extra cost. In addition, the AM07 is light so it can travel around the house with you, and the magnetic remote control sits on the fan exterior, so you always know where it is.

Transparency is really important to us and that's why we're always upfront about where we find our recommendations. We write about products that we feel offer the best value to most parents – the ones that our users would recommend to their own friends and family. Weight: If you plan on buying one fan and carrying it from room to room, a lightweight model with a carry handle is a good idea. Our most energy-efficient fan, the Honeywell Comfort Control Tower Fan, runs at 36 watts per hour (0.036 kWh). Multiply the kWh it uses by the capped cost of electricity (as of 1st October 2022) of 0.34p per unit, and you’ll discover that it will cost 1.2p per hour to run - that’s around 12p per 10 hours. This can vary depending on factors like the time you're using it, your energy provider and the setting you use it on. What are the different kinds of fans? Air speeds: 3 | Night mode: No | Dimensions: 26 x 81 x 26cm | Weight: Not specified | Cord length: 1.5m | Wi-Fi connectivity: No | Remote control: No | Oscillation angle: 85 degrees | Power: 45W What we like I bought this fan 2 years ago and it is the best fan I have ever bought. It stays in its box for much of the year and I take it out during July/August and use it whenever we have a heatwave. I think it will last me for years to come and was very good value. Although it is an oscillating fan and just moves the air about I actually find it works for me even better than an AC unit. It doesn't require water to be emptied at regular intervals, doesn't get hot at all (even if it's been on for 11 hours) and it hasn't in the last 2 years lost any quality (as I find in AC units which usually deteriorate over the years). Also it is surprisingly cheap to run - my smart meter telling me that over 11 hours of constant use overnight (over the different power levels) I have only spent 14p!

A tower fan won’t cool the air in a room like an air conditioning unit will. However, it is one of the most effective ways of creating a powerful breeze to circulate the air around a room, so they can definitely help to make you feel cooler. Do fans use a lot of electricity? Air speeds: 3 | Night mode: No | Dimensions: ‎80.2 x 21.2 x 17.6cm | Weight: 3.7kg | Cord length: 1.8m | Wi-Fi connectivity: No | Remote control: No | Oscillation angle: 55 degrees | Power: 36W What we like How it manages this impressive level of cooling is unsurprising however: it’s loud. On the top setting, measured right next to the fan, the sound level meter measured a volume of 79.1db, dropping to 50.5db two metres away. There are only three fan power levels, and although the fan does have a ‘night-time mode’, it’s really strangely implemented: the power of the fan is alternated between whisper quiet and jet-engine every few seconds. Truthfully it’s anything other than restful, and most people would be better off just switching it to the lowest setting, where it hits a far more manageable 68.5db – which isn’t too far off the Quiet model. As someone interested in creating an efficient and comfortable home with functional appliances for her family, Gemma was determined to provide honest and independent advice on the best tower fans available in the UK. Why you should trust us Air speeds: 3 | Night mode: Yes | Dimensions: 24 x 17.5 x 80.3cm | Weight: 3.8kg | Cord length: Not specified | Wi-Fi connectivity: No | Remote control: Yes | Oscillation angle: 90 degrees | Power: 45W What we like

Decided that a tower fan is for you? Well, now your choice comes down to size and features. Generally speaking, the larger and taller the fan, the higher the airflow and the bigger the room it can cool, with the added bonus that you might not have to push it so hard to have the same effect. This means you can run the fan at a slower speed with – usually – less noise. That’s handy, as noise is the second-biggest factor. A noisy tower fan can be distracting in the daytime, but a real issue if it stops you dropping off to sleep at night. Key specs – Dimensions: 54 x 15 x 14cm; Weight: 2.4kg; Oscillation angle: 90˚; Cord length: 1.6m; Warranty: 2yr; Power: 18W We're disappointed that there's no remote control; however, it is lightweight, so it’s easy to move close to where you’re sitting. It also has an optional one-hour timer, which will switch off when the room has been cooled, a valuable feature for use at night.Speed settings: Most tower fans will have three speed settings, from gentle and quiet for nighttime to fast, powerful and suitable for a hot summer’s day.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment