276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Sheltering Rain: the captivating and emotional novel from the author of Me Before You

£4.995£9.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

I wanted to know if things would get better after the emotional upheaval that loomed over them like dark clouds that nearly sent the entire family in the brink of destruction. I wanted to know more. Es gefiel mir gut, zeigte aber auch, dass ich mir an der einen oder anderen Stelle mehr Tiefe gewünscht hätte. Mehr Tiefe, wenn es um die Charakteren der Personen ging und mehr Tiefe, wenn es um die Schlüsselszenen ging. For most of her 76 years, Kathleen Whittier Mostyn has run the only hotel in the sleepy town of Silver Bay, on the east coast of Australia. In recent years, the town’s visitors have mostly been Continue reading »

One of the things I loved about this book as with many of the authors novels is that you get a perspective from all three lead characters and a switch in time-lines from the past to the present day. This is such an effective tool in getting to know the characters as a reader and provides explanations for things that have happened which make them the person they are in modern times. I think I loved and got irritated by all three women in equal measures due to the consequences of certain actions in their pasts but I think one of the signs of a good story is that the characters should bring out some raw emotion in the reader. By the end of the novel, we have seen a change in Joy, Kate and Sabine for the better due to their experiences, but I also enjoyed that the author did not try and sugar-coat their lives in that it will be a “happy ever after” for them all, and that there would still be challenges ahead. Als Hörbuch wirklich richtig schön zu hören, mit einer wunderbaren Sprecherin, die ich wirklich unheimlich gerne höre. So also when he introduces the "Sage of Shinjuku", who: "knows everything about its night life, every bar and club in the district [...] He's not a fortune-teller, but he has a discerning eye", to whom many locals go for advice, but who ultimately proves not to be as reliable as everyone had thought.Elegiac yet emotionally ablaze, what could have been merely another love story is instead a graceful examination of grand events. In 1960s England, 27-year-old Jennifer Stirling awakens in the Continue reading » Here the narrator -- married, with children -- enjoys a brief blast of the past and glimpse of how things went for Komei, but at the end is able to return to his staid domestic arrangement -- a nice way of rounding out the collection. Amazing, very emotional, I loved the characterisation and I really felt for everyone. Cried several times, even at happy bits, also got goosebumps and thought one of the leading men was verrrrrryy sexy..... Sheltering Rain“. След успеха на романа тя напуска работата си и се посвещава на писателската си кариера. Едновременно пише и статии за „ Дейли Телеграф“.

Moyes, a young Brit, again proves herself a worthy successor to Maeve Binchy and Rosamund Pilcher with her second novel (after Sheltering Rain), a warmhearted Continue reading » Sheltering Rain" is not a Romance, not in my estimation, anyway, but, as it turns out, it is a LOVE STORY, a love story of the truest sort. It is a love story of a family, of mothers and daughters, of failed love and love that lasted the test of time. Its a story to teach us about the illusion of "perfect" that we believe we see in others, and a story about finding perfection amongst the broken reality of family life.The Sheltering Rain is a fine little panorama of its place and time -- and changing times -- with an appealing cast of characters from that scene.

La narrazione viaggia su due piani temporali diversi, aspetto che mi piace tanto: quello del presente, sdoppiato tra l’Irlanda e Londra, e quello del passato dei due nonni da giovani, dal giorno in cui si sono conosciuti. Actiunea debutează in Hong Kong-ul aniilor ‘50, atunci cand tanara Joy, se logodește cu ofițerul naval, Edward la nici 48 de ore, dupa ce l-a cunoscut. From the #1 New York Times bestselling author of Me Before You, the basis for the major motion picture, comes the touching, unforgettable story of three generations of Irish women faced with the fundamental truths of love, duty, and the unbreakable bond that unites mothers and daughters.Sabine hates Ireland. She hates the farm and horses, and finds her iron-willed grandmother Joy very difficult to get to know, understand and get on with. Sabine also finds it very difficult to communicate with her old grandfather, misses all her friends and life in London and is still bitter and exasperated with her mother. Over time however, as we learn about all three generations of women and understand them all a bit better, the fragile relationships between the three appear to be slowly mending themselves. Before that happens there is still a lot of heart-ache to go through for all three, secrets to be unearthed and bridges to be built. There is quite a bit of overlap however, and one character, Senda, features in most of the episodes, including several in which he is the main character, first as a bartender at The Pot Still and then as owner of his own bar, Lui.

Some of the characters could have been brought to life a bit more clearly. We are never treated to any of Kate’s memories or get a real sense of what Kate’s perspective on her mother and daughter might be. The secondary characters, especially the men, also seemed rather flat – even Edward, the love of Joy’s life, loses most of his three-dimensional qualities after Joy marries him. There are some rather interesting paradoxes in Edward, but the reader only gets to hear about them secondhand from Joy. The flatness of these male characters limits the impact of the story’s male/female connections so that the romantic relationships pale in comparison to the vividness with which the women’s relationships are drawn. I chose this book for my 2014 Book Bingo challenge, for the square "the first book of a favorite author". I've read quite a few novels by Moyes and I loved "Me Before You" so she comes as close to a favorite author as anyone else does.The first chapter, 'Pushover', already brings this strikingly to the fore, introducing Senda and the bar which he works at, a traditional small outfit in Shinjuku, but also featuring a hostess who can't help but be a pushover when it comes to men -- and who it seems defies time, standing out in a world where a constant complaint is over everyone's inevitable aging and how little remains the same. English–Arabic English–Bengali English–Catalan English–Czech English–Danish English–Hindi English–Korean English–Malay English–Marathi English–Russian English–Tamil English–Telugu English–Thai English–Turkish English–Ukrainian English–Vietnamese También podría referirse a uno u otro detalle que me dejó algo incómoda, pero así estaría siendo demasiado injusta con una obra y una autora que me dio lo que buscaba, una lectura tranquila y rápida, con casi todo bien masticado.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment