276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Insider's Guide to Inside No. 9: Behind the Scenes of the Award Winning BBC TV Series

£12.5£25.00Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

This book is a compilation of the scripts from the first 18 episodes of the series, aka series 1-3. There are some real standouts in this collection that I loved reading just as much as watching. Quiet Night In is a fantastic episode containing almost no sound or dialog at all, so reading the script for it was particularly fascinating. It was fun to figure out how they went to a script full of descriptions to the final product on TV, and I loved it. The Understudy is another great one that honestly would have been a perfect short story if it was published years ago.

Trevor (Pemberton) and Julia ( Debbie Rush) always try to make Christmas special for their family but with money running low it is going to be more difficult than usual this year. This episode was semi-improvised. O'Grady, Sean (29 October 2018). "Inside No 9, live Halloween episode, review: Astonishingly bold and ambitious dramatic enterprise". The Independent. Archived from the original on 29 October 2018 . Retrieved 31 October 2018. The joy of these scripts is in being able to appreciate the craft and ambition involved in the sharpness of the dialogue, the cunning of the plotting, and the desire never to repeat themselves, as Pemberton and Shearsmith build each episode into a miniaturist treasure. A must for anyone who wants to write for television, or who just wants to see how the magic is done.'Lee, Veronica (6 February 2014). "Inside No 9, BBC Two". The Arts Desk. Archived from the original on 23 February 2014 . Retrieved 19 February 2014. (subscription required)

Medienpreis Rose d'Or: 'Tatortreiniger', ESC und Adele nominiert". Der Spiegel (in German). 11 July 2016. Archived from the original on 10 November 2016 . Retrieved 29 April 2019. Gannagé-Stewart, Hannah (25 March 2015). "Penny Dreadful scores five Bafta Craft nominations". Broadcast. Archived from the original on 2 April 2015 . Retrieved 28 March 2015. (subscription required) Five minutes with Steve Pemberton". Herts & Essex Observer. 12 January 2015. Archived from the original on 9 July 2015 . Retrieved 18 January 2015. Craig, David (16 December 2022). "Inside No. 9 'to end after 9 seasons' ". Radio Times . Retrieved 19 December 2022. a b Kendall, Paul (5 February 2014). "Inside No9, BBC Two, review". The Daily Telegraph. Archived from the original on 6 February 2014 . Retrieved 6 February 2014. (subscription required)I came across scaphism and I thought, I’m going to save this for Inside No.9 and that will be a nice punch line for an episode. Guilt, because I suspect a hatred of the ordinary may be tied into a class snobbery. The Royle Family was a popular TV show was it not? Or Only Fools and Horses or Dinnerladies or One Foot in the Grave. I never saw any of them, just many clips in adverts, none of which made me laugh. But I couldn’t relate to it. It wasn’t my family, and class probably has a lot to do with that. But when you’re writing, you don’t have all the things there straight away. It comes gradually and we didn’t know exactly what form the revenge was going to take but then remembering this scaphism, thinking about the bath, the concrete, it all came together quite deliciously. The 9, and also a brass hare ornament hidden in each episode for viewers to spot, are the only things that link the stories.

Inside No. 9 is an anthology series, with each episode featuring a new story, with a new setting and new characters. [11] Episodes run roughly thirty minutes each, with the self-contained story reaching a conclusion. [12] [13] The stories are linked primarily by the fact that each has an element of the story linked to the number 9, be that a mansion, a dressing room or even a shoe, size 9. Almost every episode stars Reece Shearsmith or Steve Pemberton, and regularly both. [14] Each episode is effectively a short play. Some episodes take place in real-time, following half an hour in the lives of the characters. [15] Every episode of Inside No. 9 features an ornamental hare somewhere on-screen. [16] [17] [18] According to Pemberton, "Because each episode is so wildly different there was nothing really linking them other than the fact they were all inside a Number Nine, I just thought it would be nice to have an object that you could hide and just have there on every set." [16] There is, however, no particular significance to the hare itself. [17] [18] At the 2014 British Comedy Awards, Inside No. 9 was nominated in the Best New Comedy Programme and the Best Comedy Drama categories. In the former category, it lost to Toast of London. The other nominees were The Wrong Mans and Man Down. In the latter category, it lost to Rev, and the other nominees were The Wrong Mans and Uncle. [205] For Chater ( The Times), the comedy drama category was the strongest of the awards, [206] but for Ben Williams ( Time Out), Inside No. 9 should have won. [207] Writing in The Independent, journalist Alice Jones said she was "sorry to see the relentlessly innovative Inside No 9 go unrewarded". [208]McCrum, Kirstie (16 May 2014). "The Dafftas: Your winners revealed". WalesOnline. Archived from the original on 5 June 2014 . Retrieved 4 June 2014.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment