276°
Posted 20 hours ago

All Quiet on the Western Front (2022)

£12.24£24.48Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

I mean you always lose something in translation when watching a dubbed film but this one seemed especially atrocious. The performances are truly incredible, the technical achievement recreating scenes of war outstanding, and the messages as clear as any about the futility of armed combat and the inability of the human race to learn its lessons - even to this day.

Trapped in a crater in no man's land with a French soldier, Paul stabs him and watches him die slowly, becoming remorseful and asking for forgiveness from his dead body. They are deployed to La Malmaison in Northern France where they are befriended by Stanislaus “Kat” Katczinsky (Albrecht Schuch).

Maybe this is a setting that can be changed, but either way the second I start watching sometime and it's obviously dubbed, I'll pause and go looking to see if the original is available. Not really a film to enjoy, but certainly a film to reflect on how far we haven't come since 1918, especially in a world that often seems so intent on pulling itself apart. The novel, as well as its 30s and 70s adaptations, was a simple story about a German teenager named Paul, who bought into the lies and propaganda about the glory of war, and passionately enlisted in the army. And he died, not in some last-ditch battle to fuel some crazy general's sense of national pride as he did in this film, but instead by simply losing his will to live and (deliberately? Does this film, a series of unconnected scenes deserve the plaudits it’s received deserve those awards?

All Quiet on the Western Front tells the gripping story of a young German soldier on the Western Front of World War I. The last battle really compounds it, what was once a quiet tragedy a month before Armistice a desperate battle that's 15 minutes from the end of the war that I knew in my heart of hearts was going to kill Paul seconds before the war ends and I was not wrong.It also topped the site's list of the "Best War Movies from the Last 10 Years," writing that "The story does a fantastic job of providing insight into how so many young people get roped into participating in war. This tells us the remainder of the film is constricted into 4 days, as we know from history class the war ended on the 11th. If Criterion actually did secure rights from Netflix however, then it's possible they could stop such a release in its tracks.

Its that it shows how the generals/commanders sending all these people to be murdered live on a complete different bubble. Meanwhile, Paul and Kat steal a goose from a farm to share with Albert, Franz, and another veteran, Tjaden Stackfleet, with whom they have grown close behind the front in Champagne. What was once a lyrical slow march to despair becomes packed with coincidence, most of the supporting cast get lost in adaptation to focus on Paul and Kat, who of course were the final most important relationship in the 1930 film from my by process of elimination, here they're the main relationship from the start of the 2nd act.International products have separate terms, are sold from abroad and may differ from local products, including fit, age ratings, and language of product, labeling or instructions. This allowed her to maintain the option by winning five triathlon world championships over the years.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment