276°
Posted 20 hours ago

A Town Called Solace: ‘Will break your heart’ Graham Norton

£7.495£14.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

This book is about family and found family. It is about small town Solace, where everyone seems to know everyone’s business.This is a character driven novel (my favourites)that left me feeling like these people had become a part of my life. The town is indelibly printed on my mind. For a short while, they were part of my world. They were childless (she having suffered many miscarriages) which leaves her with a profound sense of isolation and emptiness A Town Called Solace--the brilliant and emotionally radiant new novel from Mary Lawson, her first in nearly a decade--opens on a family in crisis: rebellious teenager Rose been missing for weeks with no word, and Rose's younger sister, the feisty and fierce Clara, keeps a daily vigil at the living-room window, hoping for her sibling's return. Despite criticisms that can be made A Town Called Solace resonates to the very heart of the reader. It has the same kind of feel good message as The Midnight Library, but the plot is probably a bit darker in places. Perhaps it is because ultimately we are all concerned with the small corners of life that make up existence. Trivial to others, but important to us. Enter Liam Kane, mid-thirties, newly divorced, newly unemployed, newly arrived in this small northern town, who moves into Mrs. Orchard's house—where, in Clara's view, he emphatically does not belong. Within a matter of hours he receives a visit from the police. It seems he is suspected of a crime.

While this is not my absolute favourite book by Mary Lawson, I did enjoy it very, very much. I hope I don’t have to wait as long for her next one. People talk about “comfort food”.Liam is a character who the reader can’t help but feel sympathetic towards. His life, especially his youthful homelife is tragic. He most certainly received the worst mother possible. He isn’t sure why Mrs. Orchard left him her home, but we find out through Elizabeth’s chapters.

Clara- an almost 8 year old whose family is going through a crisis. Her sister, Rose, has run away and has not returned. She lives next door to Mrs. Orchard. Tracy’s Thoughts: I liked this book. It was a good read. There was good character development, good plot development, some beautiful sentences and some touching moments. Kind of like a Hallmark movie. As the story progresses, we learn more about Liam and Mrs. Orchard and a former loving relationship they once had.(although Liam doesn't remember) It is a tender story as Mrs. Orchard destined to remain childless forms a parental type relationship with Liam. She is so drawn to him, a little boy who seems to not be able to find his way in a house full of sisters and a mother at the end of her rope. When Mrs. Orchard makes a snap decision about Liam; their lives will change and the solace they found in one another will end. In hospital she talks in her head to her beloved now-dead husband and in her head reminisces about events in their life.

Select a format:

As a novel in its own right this is a slow paced character study of how life in a small town and the disappearance of a teenager affect 3 interconnected people. The descriptions of town life are delightful and I loved the colourful secondary characters almost as much as the main characters. Liam Kane has been left the house by Mrs Orchard, and with his marriage all but finished, it gives him time to decide his next move. Clara doesn’t know yet that her neighbour has died, and sees Liam as an intruder, someone who has no right to try and take over Mrs Orchard’s home. As we meet Elizabeth Orchard, she’s coming to the end of her life. Many years ago, Elizabeth made a mistake that had tragic consequences, and though she knows her days are numbered, she hopes she has enough time to make amends. Completely absorbing... A Town Called Solace pleases at every level. It's a captivating tale suffused with wisdom and compassion Brett Josef Grubisic, Toronto Star

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment