276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Knight Who Wouldn't Fight: 1

£3.995£7.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Leo, the main character, is a pacifist bookworm (love him) whose parents want him to be a knight. All he wants to do is read (I get it, Leo. Here too). Any child reading about Leo in this adventure, will understand that words and stories can solve issues better than swords can, and in this tale lies their introduction to diplomacy at an early age.

And the artwork...it is gorgeous! So beautifully done. It is bright without being over whelming and it is a lot of fun to look at. It has a watercolor and ink quality to it and is just gorgeous. It really adds to the story. The Storybook Knight is about a little mouse knight. However, is he isn't what you normally think of when you think of a knight. He is not much of a fighter, he is more of a reader (much to his parents dismay). So one day, his parents find an ad looking for a knight to tame a dragon and they send their son off! All in all this is a beautiful book with a magnificent and educational story trapped inside. Well worth a read and one I think adults and children will definitely enjoy together and apart.Leo was a gentle knight in thought and word and deed.While other knights liked fighting, Leo liked to sit and read". Here is the beginning of this beautiful picture book about Leo, who couldn't understand why knights must fight. When you’re a knight and your name bestows you with the courage and bravery of a lion…what is a mouse to do? However, he doesn't fight like a knight normally would. He never even lifts his sword (except to point out that he has one). Instead, he takes out a book about whatever creature it is that he encounters on his journey and reads it to them! This settles down the creatures and allows him to continue on. I really like how this book doesn't condone that you need to fight to be brave and to solve your problems. That you can use a book (and your smarts) and find a solution. Also, I like that it shows that books bring people (or creatures!) together!

Oh man. If you are unfamiliar with the Docherty duo, get yourself acquainted now! They have to be one of the most adorable and extremely talented (and amazing) team ever. Ever! I have been completely enchanted with everything they produce since I stumbled across The Snatchabook on Netgalley a few years ago.Thomas Docherty’s illustrations are gorgeous – cute animals and magnificent mythical creatures. There’s lots of lovely detail too; I particularly like the breakfast table scene where the light is streaming through the stained glass windows. It might be because I am a huge bookworm myself, but it could also be because the artwork is gorgeous and that I really enjoyed the story itself too. Leo finally finds the Dragon, and it is fierce and enormous! It's true that Leo needs to read the dragons' storybook six times, but the Dragon not only quits fighting, he also helps to clean up all the mess he left in the town. I adored the message this book gives young readers. It also let's them know there is nothing wrong with having your nose in a book. Leo's experience with his parents is something all book lovers have faced at one time or another. The Storybook Knight reminds us it is ok to be you, to do things different and above all to love reading. The rhyming text, which makes for a lovely read aloud, is where readers will find the overt messages about why reading and sharing stories is so important, but the artwork is where the covert, latent messages will be found. Two types of such messages are particularly striking in The Knight Who Wouldn’t Fight: images of closeness when reading and the use of light at nighttime. Both of these are vital to children in the preschool years, both convey safety and comfort to them.

For older students (KS2), hereis an idea for a writing workshop based on the story of The Knight Who Wouldn’t Fight. Leo is only small but has a very powerful weapon, words! And this lovely tale follows him on his mission of peace. One morning, Leo’s parents said They’d like to have a chat. There was nothing wrong with reading, But he couldn’t just do that! They’d seen a lovely advert The story is told in rhyme, which I always love as I feel it engages the children more in the story. My four year old was captivated. The illustrations are bright and beautiful.That being said, The Knight That Wouldn’t Fight, is one of those books that I think children will really enjoy. One that they are probably going to ask their parents to read again and again because it’s a wonderful story. Full of rhyming words and a courageous mouse, it’s a story that I hope will capture the soul of many children throughout it’s lifetime. Closeness with a loved one when reading, also known as joint attention reading, not only brings comfort, it also helps children learn. This is emphasised greatly within the visual narrative by the fact that those Leo is joint reading with are supposedly scary beasts, highlighting further the transformative powers of book sharing. If you know this blog well, you will know my penchant for picturebooks which promote books, shared reading and reading for pleasure; you might even be aware I am writing a MA dissertation about this right now, though I won’t bore you with those details. So, as you can imagine therefore, I loved The Snatchabook (see my review here), the first “picturebook about reading” collaboration between husband and wife team Helen and Thomas Docherty and I was delighted that Helen wrote a guest post for its publication at the time. The publication of The Knight Who Wouldn’t Fight (Alison Green books) has therefore been long-awaited and could not have come at a better time. This review is based on a copy provided by the publisher in exchange for a fair and honest review. All thoughts and opinions are my own. One day his parents send him to tame a scary dragon, armed with a shield and a sword. Leo loads lots of books too. In his way he crosses paths with a Griffin and a Troll, and both surrender to the storybooks smartly chosen by Leo, that have them as main characters.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment