276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Garmin fēnix 7 Solar Multisport GPS Watch, Black with Silicone Band

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

the finger would form a ‘single lead’ (I think that’s the right terminology). medical grade devices have multiple leads effectively i think taking multiple simultaneous readings to build up a detailed and true picture of the beat…something like that. Next, we’ve got the crazy pricing chart. You’ll probably need to use a magnifying glass. Or, a tissue to wipe those wallet tears away.

Garmin is hardly the first company here in this space. While Garmin did roll-out multi-band GPS to some of their hand-held devices a year ago, the Fenix 7 & Epix are the first wearables to have it (despite rumors to the contrary, Garmin says the Tactix Delta nor any other wearable from them had multiband prior to this). In any case, the first endurance sports watch to add it was the COROS Vertix 2 this past summer, and then more recently Huawei has touted it in their GT 3. In my testing of the COROS Vertix 2, I didn’t see holy-grail-like results. It wasn’t bad, but it wasn’t the promised land either. Of course, the tech is new, and thus we’re likely to see (and have seen) firmware updates rapidly that’ll improve that. More on that in a minute. In the case of COROS, they’re using the MediaTek/Airoha chipset ( AG3335M), and Garmin confirmed they are also using Airoha as their supplier. Prior to confirmation from Garmin, this made sense in my testing, as in almost every scenario over the last 6-7 weeks, the Vertix 2 and Epix/Fenix 7 units made the exact same errors in virtually identical ways (and inversely, did things correctly in near-identical ways). Garmin also confirmed that both Sapphire and Non-Sapphire units across all Fenix 7 and Epix units are using the same chipset supplier (Airoha). But touchscreens are unreliable during activities, don’t work well in the wet nor with gloves. Garmin has kept its excellent five-button control system and disables touch when you start most activities, to prevent accidental pauses of runs or similar. See absolutely nothing worth to upgrade, will wait for Fenix8. In general it looks like OHR technology and HRV based metrics reached its limits and there is nothing more to offer for better training… On your phone you’ll go to the device settings, and you’ll see a slew of settings like before. Some of the new settings features are shoved into the existing categories (for example, Connectivity now includes details on smartphone notification settings), whereas there are totally new areas like the ‘Activities & Apps’ section, where you can choose which sport profiles are listed, and then tweak them:As a Garmin user for over 10 years, I know exactly what to expect from Garmin’s sporting prowess and it is comprehensively good, Fenix has ALL of that goodness. Barometric/GPS Fused Altimeter, Barometer & Magnetic Compass.

You can also the buttons next to the + & – on the left side to zoom in, in conjunction with that. Responsiveness is very solid here. It’s not quite instant Google Maps on a phone, but it’s pretty close – far faster than either the Fenix 6 was, or the COROS Vertix 2 is. I show this in my user interface video. There are some key differences, though. The most important of these is that (as we mentioned earlier) the Epix is only available with a 47mm case, while Fenix 7 watches are also available in 42mm and 52mm versions.

In any case both f6X I had had reasonable GPS performance. Better than the 5X which had one notable freak out of insanity during a race and would deflect notably with reflections of signal off of tall buildings or cliffs.

New Stamina Metric which gives you live insights into the depletion of your remaining energy reserves. I’ve found it reasonably useful but others report a large degree of inaccuracy in predicting what they really had left in the tank at the need of the race. The Fenix 7 gives you a lot more choice, In fact, it's not a single watch, but an entire range. It's available in 42mm, 47mm, and 51mm models, all of which come in Solar, and Solar Sapphire versions. The two smaller models are also available with standard Corning Gorilla Glass.IDK whether Garmin has officially stated if the F7 uses a different chipset to the F6, or whether the antenna design is different or whether there are GPS software improvements compared to the F6 or whether the choice of material for the case means the satellite signals are better or whether any of this matters and actually leads to an improvement over the F6. IDK how the multi-band F7 compares to the ‘cheaper’ F7 versions. IDK if the cheaper versions use the same chipset as the F6? IDK if the cheaper F7 versions are as bad as the F6? If the cheaper F7 uses the same hardware as the F6 but is considerably more accurate can all those F6 owners who have a problem soon expect a software change which stops them from expressing their displeasure. All of this is based off of a blend of your estimated VO2Max in conjunction with aspects of Body Battery and recovery from the previous night. As such, it’s moderately important to get at least a few good hard workouts in on the watch, so that it can approximate your VO2Max. Else, the data will mostly fall apart. Added flashlight to Fenix 7X model, which includes SOS mode, strobe mode, and running white/red mode The Fenix 7 sapphire solar, as pictured, has a 47mm-wide case with 22mm straps and stands 14.5mm tall – just fitting on my 50mm-wide wrist. Photograph: Samuel Gibbs/The Guardian Specifications

Now, there’s a lot to take in, both in features, but also in decoding Garmin’s wide array of SKUs here. Basically, before even considering color/material combinations there are 8 different Fenix 7 units, plus two Epix units. Including color/material combinations, there are 22 Fenix 7 SKUs. But in short, everything gets boiled down to this: All Fenix 7 units now have music, WiFi, and Garmin Pay support (previously base Fenix 6 Series did not have this or maps) https://forums.garmin.com/outdoor-recreation/outdoor-recreation/f/instinct-solar/284275/the-terrible-altimeter-calibration-change-from-15-00-16-00-to-16-50-once-again-shows-everything-that-is-wrong-with-garmin-updated-same-problem-on-fenix-and-epix-2 This is one of those things that at first glance didn’t make a ton of sense to me. I mean, yes, it was spot-on accurate, but why bother to spend the time on this was quirky to me. In asking Garmin, they said the intention was that for certain racing/training, such as steeper incline training, it allowed folks to start to analyze whether or not the pace/HR tradeoffs were worth it on walking versus running. Since you can overlay all those stats atop it, I can see the logic there. The Garmin Connect app controls settings, syncs and displays the mountains of data and insights the watch collects, and enables ‘smart’ features such as message notifications and music control on your phone. Photograph: Samuel Gibbs/The GuardianNext, there’s now four GPS settings you can choose from (only Sapphire/Titanium editions have Multiband): It DOES use ECG, as did the original Fenix. Traditional HR straps are ECG. Apple’s in watch ECG is just one implementation and draws a pretty graph. It would be nice to see Garmin add it to the watch, sure, but it’s definitely not a deal breaker for most of their user base, and even on the Apple watch it’s mostly a trivial amusement rather than serious feature. For sports though, I would ALWAYS use a sports-focused watch like a Forerunner or Fenix. So if you consider yourself a wannabe athlete, you know what to do. Go Garmin Garmin Fenix 7 Opinion

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment