276°
Posted 20 hours ago

ROAR: How to Match Your Food and Fitness to Your Unique Female Physiology for Optimum Performance, Great Health, and a Strong, Lean Body for Life

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Oh this is cringey. I got through the first few and they are so heavy-handed and tell-y. I had to stop. Yikes. From the bestselling author of P.S., I Love You, a fiercely feminist story collection that illuminates , sometimes in fantastical ways , how women of all kinds navigate the world today —now an Apple TV+ series from the creators of GLOW starring Nicole Kidman, Cynthia Erivo, Merritt Wever, and Alison Brie! This is not a book to read on audio, which I did. I wish I owned a paper copy to use as a reference. Dr. Sims realizes that female athletes are different than male athletes and you can’t set your race schedule around your monthly cycle. ROAR will help every athlete understand what is happening to her body and what the best nutritional strategy is to perform at her very best.”—Evie Stevens, Olympian, professional road cyclist, and current women’s UCI Hour record holder These could've had depth, but instead stayed on the surface level and offered no real solutions besides your average girl-boss, believe in yourself and everything is possible attitude.

As women age, changes in their hormones impact how their body burns certain fuel. Again, makes sense and actually good to know. I'll be 49 in a few months, and I do feel as if my approach to training and diet has had to change. ROAR is the latest book from Cecelia Ahern and is compiled of short stories that focus on women; some are funny, some thought provoking or enlightening but they are all engaging. The release of this book is perfect in its timing of following the #me too and times up movements, in its premise being about the empowering of women - but not in a preachy way. I'm sure there's at least one story in the book that every woman can relate to. I was skeptical of this book, but after it was mentioned in an athletic/exercise subreddit for the 80th time, I caved.Roar is a sharp, creative collection of short stories that highlight all the responsibilities, expectations, and discriminations that society places on women, as well as the self-reproach, pressure, and need for validation we as women place on ourselves. I wanted citations instead of sweeping statements. There was alot of sentences that started with "Recent research found", other times, the specific study was spoken about in great detail. Some consistency would have made some of this seem more believable (although I know since can be very selective). Roar” is a collection of stories about 30 anonymous women, expressed in the most commendable mixture of wit and power. This book is one of its kind, and I feel blessed to have gotten to read the tales that were an amalgamation of fearlessness and strength. I don’t have words to define how these stories have affected the woman in me, how they have nurtured and celebrated her.

Her dieting advice is also good, even with an example for a vegan diet and how vegetarians need to make sure to be getting in enough Leucine. However, saying that "the quality of food is far more important...than the number of calories contained" can be misleading for some. We can eat the healthiest food, but if we eat too much of it, we might not see results if weight loss is the goal. I think perhaps she didn't want to dish out the typical 1200 kcal limit and help women get away from this mindset that we need to eat very little. Regardless, calories are still a topic and shouldn't be ignored when it comes to weight loss. women with 30 unique stories about the burdens and pain each have to endure in a world that has always been unfair to the female sex. Women have always been told what to do, feel and behave since town immemorial. Women have also been programmed to believe that compassion, guilt, remorse etc. is what they have to feel at a greater magnitude when compared to their male counterparts. Women have been an object of show, a person who should grow and age gracefully for the society to accept them and cherish them.

In this singular and imaginative story collection, Cecelia Ahern explores the endless ways in which women blaze through adversity with wit, resourcefulness, and compassion. Ahern takes the familiar aspects of women's lives—the routines, the embarrassments, the desires—and elevates these moments to the outlandish and hilarious with her astute blend of magical realism and social insight. It goes a little murky on this is science/this is a sales pitch, and I find that seriously off putting as that makes the incentives of the author less clear. Yet from the first story - The Woman Who Slowly Disappeared, I could tell that this is a rather special collection. ROARR! includes over 25 dinosaur themed attractions across 85 acres, complete with rides, play areas, splash park, theatre, eateries and a secret animal garden.

I also don't agree with some of her dietary advice, which goes against other stuff I've read. For example, I think she shortchanges intermittent fasting. I've actually read several books on TRE which is a form of intermittent fasting that has been shown to have many health benefits. I personally have started a 8 hour window of eating with a tremendous amount of success. I'm not participating in an ironman, but I do train regularly. In fact, I think as a woman who is getting very close to menopause, it has helped me beyond expectations. I've never been leaner, stronger, or slept better with less overall effort. So there you go. The main character in each story is commonly referred to as 'the woman' they're not even deigned names yet the stories purpose is to lift women up. It's a nice idea, but it didn't quite hit the nail on the head for me. I wasn't nodding along going, "hey, yeah I am pretty awesome and pretty and powerful in my own right and my anxieties are irrelevant!" it was more of a slow shake of the head, disgruntled at the way women were portrayed. The titles of the stories are apt and give you an idea about how the story is going to proceed and once you finish reading a chapter/story you will feel overwhelmed at the accurate description and potrayal of women. You would rather be surprised at how she manages to hit the chord of your heart with most of the tales. That being said, Roar might be in its own unique category of surreal, genre-bending television. Roar was developed by GLOW creators Liz Flahive and Carly Mensch, who worked directly with Ahern in adapting the short stories for the screen. The result of this collaboration is a series that's undoubtedly loyal to the core themes and messages of the book.Balter, Ariel. "A book review by Ariel Balter: Roar: Thirty Stories, One Roar". New York Journal of Books . Retrieved 17 May 2022. The idea of these short stories as a feminist masterpiece is really something I can get behind, but the actual execution made me squirm uncomfortably. Cecelia Ahern provokes insecurities and portrayals that befall women in general and well, to be blunt, dehumanises them. Feelings turned into literal representations take over the platform that the women in the stories should have had in general. It was very emotion based and the moral of the story always seemed to be, 'your feelings are valid' which, yes, of course they are but I would have liked them to be celebrated for what they are; sensitivity and empathy come from a deep, understanding place that not all mammals have, I am proud that I get emotional and once cried hysterically at a Harry Potter book, I am proud that I once cried when I found a dead seagull on the road (I don't even really like seagulls, particularly). Cecelia Ahern's take on our feelings was more of a 'yeah, they're our feelings, so what?' approach, whereas I think it should be more, 'yes, these are my feelings, aren't they great and wonderful and define us as human beings?' This revised edition includes a wealth of new research developments, expanded recommendations based on those findings, and updates to reflect the changing landscape of women’s sports, including: Add some extra Sparkle to your year with an evening of festivities, a synthetic ice skating rink, carol singers and our sell-out award-winning Grotto Experience.

One of the reasons I LOVED it can be that I am a sensitive little fool when it comes to books about women, the ones who empower and get empowered in return. Another reason for loving this utterly stunning book is how all the stories hit home. In every story, you are reminded of a woman you know, or have talked to, or the one who lives under the same roof as you. Maybe a woman you see everyday on the road or the supermarket. Maybe your neighbour. All of them like the colours of a rainbow, distinctively different individually and brilliant together.Admittedly, it's somewhat discouraging reading her book in the sense that you feel that women's physiology works against them in so many ways. I like the positive attitude of the book, and the focus on hydration and electrolyte intake for women, since women store electrolytes differently than men but the topic is rarely discussed, if ever. Currently, Apple TV+ has only directly adapted 6 out of the 30 stories in Ahern's book. Whether or not Roar becomes a massive hit on the platform, this means that there's more than enough material in Ahern's book for several seasons. For now, there's no word yet on when Roar season 2 will be officially released. We find it difficult to say ‘No’ and are always wanting to please others, leaving us with a constant feeling that we are not doing enough. These stories are about where women started from and where they were headed…… emotionally, financially, environmentally…. facing the cruelty of life —

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment