Magento Forum - UK Magento Forum (Unofficial)

An unofficial but dedicated Magento Forum for Magento Users, Designers and Developers

Pros and Cons

A forum for Magento users to discuss tips, issues etc with regards to actually using the Magento front and back end systems.

Pros and Cons

Postby wood1e » Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:04 pm

Hi,

I am fairly new to Magento, and before I dive in totally, I am looking for a unbiased PROS and CONS to using this e-commerce solution? From a webiste owners point of view and from a developers point of view....Any ideas where I might find one? :)
wood1e

Re: Pros and Cons

Postby edmondscommerce » Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:15 pm

Hi welcome to the forum

its a good question:

a quick google search shows a few responses.

I think the Cons are mostly related to performance on shared hosting. It is entirely possible to host Magento on shared hosting, but ideally it should be a shared hosting account that is optimised for Magento. There are companies offering Magento shared hosting and it works fine.

The other possible Cons are that as it is new, there are not as many modifications etc out there as an older package like osCommerce. However that situation is changing rapidly as Magento is generally picking up momentum.

The Pros are that it is undeniably a modern, enterprise ready application.

It is much more robust and secure than older systems like osCommmerce.

The huge feature set is of course a big plus

Finally the fact that it is regularly being updated by the company behind it is a huge plus.
edmondscommerce

Postby seanprice » Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:00 pm

Indeed try and get something above a standard hosted solution otherwise you may find your site grinding to a halt. I would also suggest you get a designer/developer to get the site created and setup for you otherwise you may encounter no end of issues over the months with upgrades overwritting your site files if not setup correctly, links breaking, caching issues.

But overall its a very good system that for the majority of cases far surpases OSC or other systems alike.
seanprice

Postby edmondscommerce » Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:04 pm

seanprice wrote:I would also suggest you get a designer/developer to get the site created and setup for you otherwise you may encounter no end of issues over the months with upgrades overwritting your site files if not setup correctly, links breaking, caching issues.

yes this is probably the biggest issue with Magento at the moment, people giving clients sites that are effectively one upgrade away from being totally broken with hacked core files all over the place...

you need to make sure that whoever supplies your site development will do so in the correct way that will allow you to take advantage of the regular updates that Magento is enjoying at the moment and hopefully for the future.
edmondscommerce

Return to Magento Users