276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Ravished by Beauty: The Surprising Legacy of Reformed Spirituality

£20.745£41.49Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

I have spent much of my adult life and intellectual development reacting against Reformed thought. Process theology is almost diametrically opposed (though interesting touchstones have recently developed). When I have read Edwards and Calvin (stars of this book), I have been drawn to some of the same things that Lane is drawn to. Edwards has much to say about beauty and pleasure once you look past his awful statements about God. I did find elements of Calvin's delight in nature in my own reading of him, but Lane will have awakened me to more.

For as long as anyone can remember it's been called Dead Creek, this small stream running through East Saint Louis alongside the Mississippi River. It's part of another world. I can be there in ten minutes from my university office in mid-town Saint Louis, yet economically and ecologically it feels like a Third World country. Eastern Missouri and Central Illinois are known for their beautiful, spring-fed creeks. Dead Creek is a stunning exception. Over the last twenty-five years the EPA has documented higher concentrations of dioxins, PCBs, chlorobenzenes, and heavy-metal pollutants in this stream than almost anywhere in the Midwest. By using this service, you agree that you will only keep content for personal use, and will not openly distribute them via Dropbox, Google Drive or other file sharing services Lane is too concerned with leftish ecological "catastrophes" to be informative. But he does let the Reformers and those in their line speak for themselves enough to be a valuable source of good, solid Christian spirituality. Like a poor tour-guide who spends more time in the gift shop than at the Grand Canyon, you at least can ignore the guide and be stunned by beauty yourself. That's about as good as this book gets. For librarians and administrators, your personal account also provides access to institutional account management. Here you will find options to view and activate subscriptions, manage institutional settings and access options, access usage statistics, and more.Welcome to a safe, carefully moderated world of testimonials from survivors of sexual assault and rape. Join our community by sharing your story or showing your support. This platform is meant to heal and not re-traumatize. Please remember to practice self-care if reading these stories is triggering to you. At the end of the book Lane envisions that all theologies and faiths must work to renew theologies of ecological vision. He is looking for partners and touchstones, and this could become a touchstone for dialogue between Process and Reformed thought. Some societies use Oxford Academic personal accounts to provide access to their members. See below. I think Lane has done a fine job exploring an oft-ignored part of Reformed spirituality: an emphasis on beauty and desire. The Reformed tradition is not typically associated with a robust and genuine spirituality, though, as Lane helpfully shows us, this is a serious (and seriously common) misreading of the Reformed tradition. Lane helpfully rebuts some of these mischaracterizations by reading Calvin, the Puritans, and Edwards for an ecology of desire, something stimulated by God's own loveliness, beauty, and splendor. "For them, the spiritual life necessarily begins with longing" (213). I still find elements of Lane's God very troubling. Reformed theology fails, for me, most clearly at the point of theodicy. I recently blogged about this here: http://escottjones.typepad.com/myques...

To save this article to your Google Drive account, please select one or more formats and confirm that you agree to abide by our usage policies. If this is the first time you used this feature, you will be asked to authorise Cambridge Core to connect with your Google Drive account. To save this article to your Dropbox account, please select one or more formats and confirm that you agree to abide by our usage policies. If this is the first time you used this feature, you will be asked to authorise Cambridge Core to connect with your Dropbox account.

Please list any fees and grants from, employment by, consultancy for, shared ownership in or any close relationship with, at any time over the preceding 36 months, any organisation whose interests may be affected by the publication of the response. Please also list any non-financial associations or interests (personal, professional, political, institutional, religious or other) that a reasonable reader would want to know about in relation to the submitted work. This pertains to all the authors of the piece, their spouses or partners. The Ravishing Beauties first played at Club Zoo in Liverpool and followed this with the support tour with The Teardrop Explodes. Virginia wrote most of the band's songs, some of which appeared on her first solo project with Why-Fi. The band was short lived, with St. John first becoming a model and then eventually a member of The Dream Academy, while Holland did session work and joined Tears for Fears.

I have both delighted in and argued with this book while reading through it, and you can find some of those posts on my blog. Clearly it was an engaging work of theology.He also has engaging sections on Puritan views of sexual desire which are akin to James McClendon's treatment of the same topic, but advancing and expanding it in ways that I think could resonate with theologians like Gerard Loughlin (whose own writing is queer positive). This has sparked my imagination to do some work on desire in the next year or so in a sermon series or something. English–Arabic English–Bengali English–Catalan English–Czech English–Danish English–Hindi English–Korean English–Malay English–Marathi English–Russian English–Tamil English–Telugu English–Thai English–Turkish English–Ukrainian English–Vietnamese

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment