276°
Posted 20 hours ago

First Position: A brand-new spicy romance of forbidden love. A passionate and thrilling debut for 2023!

£8.495£16.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

First Position is a story based on the alternating viewpoints of Jocelyn and Sylvie, who are both trying to "make it" at a major ballet company. I can't tell if this was supposed to be a convoluted love story, a coming-of-age story, a lesson in identity. The pacing is consistently a medium pace that only slowed down on a few brief occasions, making this book a pleasant read in terms of pace. While I appreciate the behind the scenes look into their lives, some of the themes and situations were not for me. There’s not a lot here that you can’t find in other ballet books of this sort and a lot of them are better written, but this one gets points for pacing and likable characters.

First Position: A brand-new spicy summer romance of forbidden First Position: A brand-new spicy summer romance of forbidden

I loved one (online) review, something like, “I didn’t think I was a prude, but this was too sexy for me. Or will the allure of sex, drugs, alcohol and yet ANOTHER forbidden romance keep her ultimate dream as nothing MORE than a fading, furtive dream? It is moving, though: first soloist Joseph Sissens at the Royal Ballet now wears his hair in locs, and had cornrows for his Nutcracker Prince). When a tumultuous, troubling relationship erupts into a devastating scandal for which she alone is blamed, she loses everything.Hamrick was in the corps de ballet at ABT for 16 years (incidentally, she’s also Mick Jagger’s partner, which doesn’t do the book marketing any harm). But don’t be deceived … there’s a lot more that builds a ballerina, as you’ll soon discover while reading this gritty, emotional book. I didn’t want to waste any time since this is a slightly longer excerpt than normal but if anything, it gives you enough of Melanie Hamrick’s writing style to get you intrigued. as an explanation, I am a former professional ballerina, and books and films and other works of art depicting ballerinas at their worst (and usually depicting them as crazy psychos who would do anything for a lead role) just can’t do it for me. NONE of what plays out could even be considered remotely frightening, unless you find sex clubs or hooking up with older men terrifying.

Marriage not on the cards for Mick Jagger as partner reveals

I can’t judge how realistic this really was, but it gave me the vibes of how it could be behind the scenes? I wish we did get to have a bit more of Alex for the romantic in me but I know that the main point of this book is about Sylvie finding her way back to herself.Both books are strong on power dynamics – often a key ingredient in a saucy romance, but also a serious talking point in ballet. The summaries may seem romance-by-numbers, and the tropes are all there – instant sizzling attraction, obstacles and misunderstandings, a satisfying finale – but what’s notable is the knowledge behind them.

Melanie Hamrick’s Erotic - SheKnows Is Mick Jagger’s GF Melanie Hamrick’s Erotic - SheKnows

Hamrick says she wanted to give readers a good time, but also a view of what the ballet is like “behind the gilded curtain” — a world that presents as pristine and perfect. Though a bit short on actual ballet, this is entertaining if you’re into this subgenre, and boasts two intriguing and likable protagonists.Considering that she’s a dancer herself, this book is bound to be full of things most of us don’t know or haven’t ever thought about. It is both horrifying and awe-inspiring to learn about what dancers go through to achieve their dreams. When the two of us make eye contact it’s like a lit match meeting gasoline … She burns bright and hot and fast, often burning those who aren’t afraid to touch her. If Diana wants to see Jocelyn’s solo again it will be to merely applaud her perfection and only because she liked it so much.

First Position - Kindle edition by Hamrick, Melanie

She also captures the anticipation of being in the wings, the “pulsing, organic high that will buzz through my veins” once she gets out on stage.We follow Jocelyn’s POV in the present and briefly in the past until we settle into a narrative of present Sylvie and past Jocelyn. First Position’ is Melanie Hamrick’s debut novel and you can just tell she was a ballerina for ABT for sixteen years - the novel, although spicy here and there, is more of a glimpse into the ballet world and the turmoil that comes with it, rather than an erotica story. I watched you for only a little while up there, not even alone, and I know you can be much better than you are. So, so edgy, so different, with a constant undercurrent of tension whether on the stage or in the bedroom.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment