276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Monument Maker

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

These are some of the questions posed by David Keenan's masterly fifth novel, Monument Maker, an epic romance of eternal summer and a descent, into history, into the horrors of the past; a novel with a sweep and range that runs from the siege of Khartoum and the conquest of Africa in the 19th century through the Second World War and up to the present day, where the memory of a single summer, and a love affair that took place across the cathedrals of Ile de France, unravels, as a secret initiatory cult is uncovered that has its roots in macabre experiments in cryptozoology in pre-war Europe. If you are hesitant to read Monument Maker check out Xstabeth first, to get a taste for the way that David Keenan constructs his universe. Monument Maker is structured as a cathedral, the reader moving through books entitled ‘Nave’, ‘Transept’, ‘Apse’ and ‘Choir’. David Keenan has become one of the most prolific and innovative new literary stylists of the last five years . Backmatter includes a detailed timeline of French's life that includes thumbnail photos of several of his works and a photo of French, an Author's Note, a note that discusses French's penchant for tinkering, a few pages about the Lincoln Memorial, a list of states where statues by French can be found, a list of author resources, places to visit to learn more about French's life, and sources used for quotes in the book.

Now listen as the four-year-old inside me screams within my head at a raging pitch, “But I don’t wanna read it! The illustrations are in sepia and will most likely not appeal to younger children, but older elementary and up should find this inspiring and informative. Other famous figures honored by his statues include a Minuteman, George Washington (Paris, France), and Wendell Phillips.An epic written over 10 years, it’s a meditation on art and religion, and what it means to make a monument. The event of a life’s passing causes others to reflect on the deep importance those elements meant to the departed—and often how the deceased contributed to and honored those aspects. I loved that Sweeney began the book as a story, with Field's drawings of a boy and a girl listening. This wasn’t an easy read, at times I did really question what I was reading, but ultimately it is an amazing work.

Backgrounds and engravings that capture a connection to nature, including forests, oceans, mountains, and flowers. We are doing this to improve the experience for our loyal readers and we believe it will reduce the ability of trolls and troublemakers, who occasionally find their way onto our site, to abuse our journalists and readers.Baroque and bizarre, Monument Makeris a literary cathedral designed by Mad King Ludwig II, with help from Burroughs and Arthur C. I picked this book up from the library, forgot completely about it, and then was quarantined with it and decided I should give it a try.

His third novel, Xstabeth, published only last November, extrapolated on the development of a musical cult after the release of live recordings by an obscure folk musician, which Keenan brought to life as a mercurial, enigmatic and impenetrably mysterious figure in a book that reads like a feverish dream. pages of back matter include: Daniel Chester French’s Timeline, an Author’s Note, highlights from the Lincoln Memorial, a list of his creations, and Selected Resources. Not that Keenan is quite so reflexively canonical as this could suggest; yes, there is an attempt here to preserve a perfect Bach concert, but there is also the perfectly imperfect rendition of Baker Street by a mediocre yet somehow in their own way ideal local band.

I also loved the illustration of French standing on a scaffold in front of the in-process sculpture and the opposing page showing an sketch of the various pieces of sculpted stone being put together like a giant puzzle. But it was the commission to create a new kind of statue of President Lincoln that required Dan to dig into his own personal past and come up with something that Americans everywhere could look up to and admire for once and all time. However, while this story continues Book Two whisks us off to Khartoum where each day brings new experiences and life-threatening situations. Thanks to this lovingly created tribute to the towering leader of Dan’s youth, Abraham Lincoln lives on as the man of marble, his craggy face and careworn gaze reminding millions of seekers what America can be.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment