276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Behind the Seams: The perfect gift for fans of The Great British Sewing Bee

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

So why didn't I love the book more? I think it's primarily because it doesn't seem to have a purpose. It documents key times, and it documents the highlights of those, all the positive things for example, about four women working together, managing families and other commitments, doing it for the love of clothes and not for the money. It's not that I wanted scandal, I cannot imagine Esme is the type of person to dish the dirt, but it was all a bit nice. There wasn't any analysis - why did this work, why did this fail. There was little emotion - the struggles were glossed over, so we didn't get to see the pain, which made the triumphs less triumphant. And there wasn't a lot of context either, other than the lists of people she encountered. It must have been a tough and difficult time - she does admit to being scared - but this was a feel good book. She continues: “I get people making comments about what I’m wearing. I probably make a quarter of my clothes.” This article was originally published on 7 June 2022. Esme Young is speaking at the Cambridge Literary Festival on 19 November, sharing the story of her creatively adventurous life. From adventures at Central Saint Martins to The Great British Sewing Bee, go behind the seams of Esme Young's amazing life... As well as running her successful clothing line, Esme lectures at her old fashion college - the prestigious St Martin's College in London. Esme Young on The Great British Sewing Bee

Esme discussed making the iconic Hawaiian shirts for DiCaprio and co-stars John Leguizamo and Harold Perrineau in Baz Lurhmann's masterpiece during last year's series. a b c d Young, Esme (2022). Behind the seams: my life in creativity, friendship and adventure. London. ISBN 978-1-78870-462-5. OCLC 1294284520. {{ cite book}}: CS1 maint: location missing publisher ( link) She recently released her memoir, Behind the Seams: My Life in Creativity, Friendship and Adventure .Now Esme, a graduate of the prestigious fashion school Central Saint Martins, where she teaches pattern cutting, is hoping to help inspire more people to take up sewing. Her standards are exacting, but Esme is much respected by her colleagues and the contestants – and she looks set to be a big hit with viewers. How will she cope with being recognised in the street? Esme typically makes costumes for a film’s leading actors. This meticulous process involves understanding the context, the cultural and the fashion references of the film’s time and setting. She utilizes her broad set of skills by providing advice, sourcing fabric, collaborating with the costume designer, fitting and producing the garments. David Bailey photographed one collection and Vogue featured Brigitte Nielsen wearing a Swanky Modes lycra two-piece in the mid-1980s.

This sewer extraordinaire’s CV includes costume designing for the Bridget Jones films (she’s particularly proud of the Bunny Girl outfit) and co-founding fashion label Swanky Modes. The label gained iconic status in the Seventies with its signature body-con dresses beloved by celebrities such as Cher and Julie Christie. Esme is an inspiration, not just because of her career, but also in the way she is 100% her authentic self - what you see is what you get, zero f’s given!Some of the high profile campaigns Young has worked for include : Tia Maria (with Iman ), Levi’s, Boots No 7, Marlborough, De Beers, Pretty Polly tights, Max Factor, Yardley and Rimmel. She has also been a part of an individual commission for Phil Collins, Dame Kiri Te Kanawa, Cher and Jane Asher. BBC Two - Richard Osman's House of Games, Series 6, Week 14: Thursday". BBC . Retrieved 11 December 2022. I’m one of those people who, if I’m offered the chance to do something new, I’ll go for it. I don’t want to sit at home; I like being stimulated. You don’t have to do anything extreme – I’m not flying aeroplanes; I’m only harnessing the knowledge I’ve acquired throughout my life. But I like to push myself. Even at 73, I don’t see any reason why I shouldn’t.”

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment