276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Yinka, Where is Your Huzband?: ‘A big hearted story about friendship, family and love’ Beth O’Leary

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Beautifully observed, warm and deeply human, Yinka, Where Is Your Huzband? is a meditation on family and friendship, on love and self-love. Feel-good, funny and clever, it's got smash-hit written all over it!" - Josie Silver, New York Times bestselling author of One Day in December When her cousin gets engaged, Yinka commences ‘Operation Find A Date for Rachel’s Wedding’. Armed with a totally flawless, incredibly specific plan, will Yinka find herself a huzband? What if the thing she really needs to find is herself?

Still, when her cousin gets engaged, Yinka commences Operation Find-A-Date for Rachel’s Wedding. Aided by a spreadsheet and her best friend, Yinka is determined to succeed. Will Yinka find herself a huzband? And what if the thing she really needs to find is herself? Das Buch fand ich echt super: Ehrliche Unterhaltung, wo wirklich niemand verschont wird, allen voran die Protagonistin Yinka. Sie hadert nicht nur mit ihrer Mutter, die aus einem anderen Kulturkreis kommt, sondern auch mit der Männerwelt und auch ihren Freundinnen. Nach und nach lernt sie zu sich selbst zu finden und der Weg zum Ende hat mir am meisten gefallen. Sie irrt, fällt auf die Nase und blamiert sich auch andauernd (ja, manchmal ist das Fremdschäm-faktor schon extrem hoch), aber trotzdem fand ich ihre ganze Umgebung mit ihren Freunden und Familie menschlich und anziehend. Es ist eher eine "Coming-of-Age"-Story einer Frau, die Anfang 30 langsam ihren Weg findet. Ich fand die Geschichte sehr witzig und augenöffnend! and you know what? i love reading about messy, imperfect women of colour trying their absolute best (and plummeting to their absolute worst before actualizing the "best") - and being all the more sincere and authentic for it. A warm, witty and joyful novel bursting with charm and unforgettable characters, Yinka is a story about friendship, family, romance, and the most important quest of all--loving and accepting yourself’ Lauren Ho Meet Yinka: a thirty-something Oxford-educated, British Nigerian woman whose mother's constant refrain is "Yinka, where is your huzband?"I don’t have an MA in creative writing,” I whined to God after I read the bios of previous winners. “I don’t stand a chance.” For the romcom part, I don't think I was too invested in who Yinka ultimately chose - easygoing Alex, supportive Derek, needling Donovan, ex-boyfriend Femi. Yinka gamely trying to acquire skills in both Yoruba and Nigerian cooking to impress Alex rang true - as descendants of immigrants, some of the culture and heritage will be invariably lost/diluted. The side detail of Alex's deceased twin sister didn't really go anywhere despite some tantalizing clues, my guess had been that both Alex and his mother took to Yinka because of the resemblance with his sister. Also, I wish that the author had explained that in Yoruba culture, twins are traditionally named Taiwo (firstborn) and Kehinde (second-born), instead of just calling it Alex's 'Nigerian name.' LDB: I am a Christian, and I know my personal relationship with God is very intimate and personal. I kind of felt like society doesn’t always get to see that. I feel like Christianity is portrayed like old-fashion, or Christians are portrayed as judgemental, and I wanted Yinka to show a different side to Christianity where it is more so about her relationship with God. I didn’t want her to be perfect because we all screw up, but I wanted to show the intimacy of her relationship with Christ. I loved that she didn’t shove it in people’s faces. She only talked about her experience. But it was a great experience and personal as well. TS: How did writing this story change you?

By publishing your document, the content will be optimally indexed by Google via AI and sorted into the right category for over 500 million ePaper readers on YUMPU. A provocative debut novel about a marriage in crisis that asks the question: Can you ever be rooted in a home that's on the brink of collapse? Yinka Oladeji is a 31 year old British Nigerian woman. As the British born daughter of Nigerian immigrants, she’s always been a part of both British and Nigerian cultures. Her mum was widowed when Yinka and her sister were young, leaving her to raise them alone, facing down her fears of single motherhood. The family is supportive with several actual Aunties and of course 300 or so “Aunties” as any women of older age are known and treated with respect in Nigerian culture. But with her younger sister Kemi now married and expecting a child, more pressure is being put on Yinka to find a man. Yinka only wishes that it wasn’t such public pressure including lengthy prayers at her sister’s baby shower (to the obvious dismay of the white Britains at the party). Yinka's Nigerian aunties frequently pray for her delivery from singledom, her work friends think she's too traditional (she's saving herself for marriage!), her girlfriends think she needs to get over her ex already, and the men in her life...well, that's a whole other story. But Yinka herself has always believed that true love will find her when the time is right.

Feel good, funny, and clever, it’s got smash-hit written all over it!”–Josie Silver, New York Times bestselling author of One Day in December What a darling book! Yinka, Where is your huzband? drew me in right away with the banter between Yinka and her overbearing family. It is at times bitingly funny and relatable, I giggled out loud so many times my partner asked me to finish the book upstairs (!). Yinka’s internal struggles to meet the standards and expectations placed on her by everyone else are familiar…. A gorgeous, easy read, but with real depth to its punchy chapters. This book is really just such an extraordinary debut from one of the UK’s sure-to-be rising talents in contemporary fiction. BRAVA!!!!” The novel revolves around Yinka; a British-Nigerian Oxford graduate who is being pressured into getting married. Yinka, Where is Your Huzband? is a fresh, uplifting story of an unconventional heroine who bravely asks the questions we all have about love.Wry, moving, irresistible, this is a love story that makes you smile but also makes you think–and explores what it means to find your way between two cultures, both of which are yours.

LDB: I think they do have an impact because they are the readers ultimately, so when a book receives a lot of buzz and a lot of hype, everyone jumps on that, but I know there are some stories that don’t have the same attention, but they are well written, they are just as good, sometimes even better. I don’t know how we do it, but if there is a way for all books to get the same level of attention, though I know some books are published by smaller publishers and don’t have the same resources. I don’t know if it should be us as the readers to go support all authors, but look at independent and self-published books as well because there are a lot of gems in them as well. TS: What are the books that really impacted you in your life or a book that you are reading currently that really touched you. Meet Yinka: a thirty-something, Oxford-educated, British Nigerian woman with a well-paid job, good friends, and a mother whose constant refrain is "Yinka, where is your huzband?"yinka is so full of heart! i loved that she's surrounded by a cast of heartfelt characters - special shout-outs to nana, yinka's unwaveringly supportive best friend (who is also proudly aromantic), and donovan with the "woke hoodies", whom yinka re-befriends through outreach work. What can I do?’ she asked. You can fight, I thought , you can fight for your daughters. But then again, who was I to speak of such things I feel like I’d have more tolerance for her behaviour if this was a coming of age story. But such behaviour from an otherwise well-adjusted woman in her thirties was bizarre to me. Maybe I’d have felt differently if we were given a reason for her being a late bloomer, or if she’d had that Bridget Jones charm.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment