276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Elizabeth And Her German Garden (Virago Modern Classics)

£4.995£9.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

We don’t share your credit card details with third-party sellers, and we don’t sell your information to others. So minus a star for those sections and for the parts when the gardening trivialities and minutiae made my eyes glaze over. Elizabeth, Countess Russell, was a British novelist and, through marriage, a member of the German nobility, known as Mary Annette Gräfin von Arnim.

Or, again, relating the misogyny of her husband (‘only strong-minded women wish to see you the equals of men, and the strong-minded are invariably plain’) as an amusing and vaguely endearing foible.It includes commentary on the beauty of nature and on society, but is primarily humorous due to Elizabeth's frequent mistakes and her idiosyncratic outlook on life. On some very specially divine days, like today, I have actually longed for some one else to be here to enjoy the beauty with me. It was known as the Kreuzzeitung ("Cross Newspaper") because its emblem was an Iron Cross (per Wikipedia). Von Arnim wrote another 20 books, which were all published "By the author of Elizabeth and Her German Garden".

They should be welcomed and sped with equal heartiness; for truth compels me to confess that, though it pleases me to see them come, it pleases me just as much to see them go. Elizabeth and her German Garden is a semi-autobiographical book written in 1898 by Elizabeth von Arnim (author of The Enchanted April) about her life and garden in the area of Nassenheide, Pomerania, where the family had their estate (her husband was minor nobility). We have the 'babies' the April, baby, the May baby, the June baby and the 'Man of Wrath', who seems just to be a pompous reactionary bore. It includes commentary on nature and bourgeois German society, but is primarily humorous due to Elizabeth's frequent mistakes and her idiosyncratic outlook on life.

Su vida transcurre a principios de la Alemania del siglo XX donde el papel de la mujer estaba limitado a la atención de la casa y la cocina. In the novel The Shell Seekers (1988) by Rosamunde Pilcher, Sophie reads Elizabeth von Arnim's "Elizabeth and her German Garden“.

La gente qui intorno è persuasa che io sia, per metterla nei termini più gentili possibile, oltremodo eccentrica; perché si è sparsa la voce che passo la giornata fuori all’aperto con un libro, e che occhi mortali ancora non mi hanno mai visto cucire o cucinare.She was 32 at the time, 7 years into her marriage to a rich, previously widowed, older count (who was 47, 15 years her senior). It is the most unpleasant thing in the world to eat sandwiches with immense fur and woolen gloves on, and I think we ate as much fur as anything, and choked exceedingly during the process.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment