276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Oban 14 Years Old Single Malt Scotch Whisky | 43% Vol | 70cl | Malt | Orange | Sea Salt & Mandarin | Scottish Whisky With Sweetness & Smoky Dryness | Full Bodied | an Ideal Christmas Gift

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Aroma is citrus-y (mostly lemon peel), malty (breakfast cereal), and it even has a tinge of yogurt. In the mouth it's smooth and balanced, with some evident smoky notes, leading to a green pineapple aftertaste.

The Service has been prepared by us solely for information purposes to Members and the Service is based on information we consider reliable and we obtain the contents of the Service from a number of different third party sources (including Contributions), but we do not endorse, support, represent, warrant or guarantee the completeness, truthfulness, accuracy, or reliability of the Services and any information therein. The first sample I tried was a Dalwhinnie 15 yr old and the next one up was a whisky I'd tasted before, but under less then ideal conditions. These fruits become ever more abundant in the tasting. The whisky takes on a lovely sweet flavour, with repeated and intense bursts of fruit emerging. It is a rich and complex whisky, not least because the sea air makes a return just as the whisky goes down. This is one of my original favorite single malts from when I first moved from bourbon/rye whiskies into scotch. Part of that may also have to do with me buying this particular bottle to keep me and a friend occupied on the night of his soon-to-be wife bachelorette party. I had tasted it several times before and had been looking for an excuse to buy. I'm now finishing the last 1/3 of the bottle.

What next?

I’ve never been overly impressed with Oban 14. It’s always been one of those malts that I get when it’s cheap at a bar, over at a friend’s place or have an after-work-dram with folks in the office because someone always seems to have a bottle, but I’ve never reviewed it… till now. Nose - Leather and salt at first, with a hint of peat but becomes fruity in time. Cooked fruits, plum jam, later some raisins and lots of fresh ginger and ginger spice, with malty Ovaltine, hints of vanilla essence and dried figs.

This for me had the potential to be a really cool whisky, especially with the salt, however sadly the salt dominates every aspect of this whisky. Nose: The barley is immediate and powerful, giving a clear indication of what will follow. There is also pleasant notes of tropical fruits, like mango, along with a malty sweetness, not unexpected in a malt forward whisky like this. Interestingly enough, this sweetness changes into beeswax and faint hint of waxed hemp rope. This was tasted neat in a Glencairn glass. This bottle appears to have been bottled in 2011 based on the code on the bottle (112842241). The bottle was opened last year on my 35th birthday, so it’s been open for a year and 4 days to be exact. About 3 inches remain in the bottle. Once the bottle got about half way finished I used Private Preserve to maintain its flavor.Without prejudice to the section Liability below, the Service may be temporarily unavailable during maintenance, updates, etc. We shall make reasonable efforts to inform you of any unavailability due to maintenance or updates. No partnership, joint venture, agency, or employment relationship is created as a result of your use of the Service. Sadly the dram came out in a massive tumbler, from a half full bottle which after trying this sample seems like it was largely oxidized. We may, but are not under any obligation, to release new functionalities and tools or other features for the Service every now and then. Any new functionalities, tools and features shall be part of and governed by the Terms from the moment they are launched and/or available. Further, we reserve the right to modify, change, discontinue the Service, add or remove features, update the Service, change its appearance, temporarily and permanently, at any time, in whole or any part thereof.

On the nose: There is an initial puff of wax that fades immediately and turns into caramel sauce and bubble gum. A very brief dash of smoke. Tulip petals, dry oats, paprika, and almost a sense of creaminess. Overall, it’s balanced, doesn’t have much complexity, and consistently comes across as delicate.We may sell, license, transfer, assign or in any other way dispose of the Service (including Members) to any third party without any notification to you, e.g. (but without limitation) in connection with any reorganization, restructuring, merger or sale, or other transfer of assets. Palate - Soft mid-palate arrival, quite sweet at first with plums, baked apples, developing into dried figs, malt, some orange marmalade, brown sugar and bitter toffee, then lots of gingerbread and sweet ginger preserve, cinnamon sugar, and stewed tea, with touches of peat and salt. The sea air commences a finish that is both long and pleasant. A release of smoke hits the palate, followed by the merest hint of liquourice. The fruits, having been pushed to one side, make their return once the smoke has bowed off the stage, leaving the mouth with sweet sensations abounding. A combination of rich sweetness with a smoky dryness and appetising spice distinguishes this lovingly-matured Highland malt.” Oban 14 Years price, ABV, age and other details

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment