276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Grand Sophy

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

But this is my favorite scene, because Sophy is so hilariously awful about the awful Miss Wraxton, and everyone can see (including the reader) how bad she really is, except for Charles, her fiance. Eugenia is so upset following Sophy’s outrageous behaviour - driving her down St James’ in her new high perch Phaeton - that she retreats to her sister’s house to recover her equilibrium. Sophy finds herself fending off the boring Lord Bromford, and plans a trip to the country by way of escape. The author wrote this in 1950. It belongs to what is known as the Traditional Regency Romance genre, the genre for which the author is famous. Such books are, of course romances, but they are without explicit sex. Even discussion of sex is verboten! They are set in the early 1800s but written by authors of later generations. They are characteristically filled with fast-paced dialogue. Historical details are accurately drawn, including details describing clothes, rooms and their furnishings, modes of transport, mannerisms and social etiquette. What characters say and how they behave must capture all aspects of early 1800s English society faultlessly. In books of the Regency Historical Romance, a second subgenre of Regency Romance novels, characters behave according to modern standards although the time setting and the other characteristics remain the same. This constitutes a substantial difference. As mentioned, Georgette Heyer belongs to the first subgenre.

The best parts of this book are the comedy, both in the dialogue and in the mad cap collective happy ever after-ness of the ending, which, much like a Shakespearean comedy, ties up every lose end so the reader is secure that every last person shall go on marvelously. Just don’t think about it all too hard or you’ll see holes. Big enough to ride a horse through. When Sophy’s father, Sir Horace, is summoned to Brazil on business, he entrusts her care – as well as the search for an appropriate marriage match - to his sister’s family. When Sophy arrives at the Ombersley doorstep complete with dog, parrot and monkey, she instantly creates a sensation. While the Ombersleys learn that Sophy is indeed unconventional, Sophy discovers that aunt, uncle and cousins are perhaps a bit dysfunctional. From cousin Cecilia who pines for a flighty poet much to the dismay of her family, to Lady Ombersley whose vinegars and fainting couch are always close at hand, to the often absent and oblivious Lord Ombersley, to cousin Horace with his concealed gambling debts and to cousin Charles himself, the true and exacting master of the household, Sophy will have her hands full. Sophy and Charles immediately butt heads and Sophy proves herself an impressive match for this unyielding gentleman. When Sophy tries to sort out and influence the various relationships and love matches, the household is further shaken up. The insipid and meddling Eugenia Wraxton, betrothed to Charles, is an excellent counterbalance to Sophy’s high-spiritedness. Eugenia says of Sophy, "It is a pity that men will laugh when her liveliness betrays her into saying what cannot be thought becoming. It brings her too much into notice, and that, I fancy, is the root of the evil." In regards to Eugenia and Charles, Sophy "felt it a pity that so promising a young man should be cast away on one who would make it her business to encourage all the more disagreeable features of his character." She’s a develish fine girl indeed. I am so glad that you enjoyed this book so much. Like you said, the most enjoyable read this year. Once again, my goodreads friends and in groups have gotten me to read a book that I thought I would never like - and guess what? I loved it! Stereotypes are products of ignorance, and of the times, and let me disillusion people who think WWII magically changed the prejudices of hundreds of years. Anti-Semitism was alive, well and institutionalized up until the 1960s when the civil rights movement made discrimination of most kinds not only uncool but illegal.It’s a lovely idea, Teresa, but I’m not sure if it would work. Things are beginning to happen though with a new serial podcast of The Grand Sophy coming soon http://www.thegrandsophy.co.uk/ The audiobook is narrated by Sarah Woodward. I did not like it at the start. A bunch of people are talking. I didn’t understand who was who, and all were chattering at a mile a minute. Yet I grew to like the narration a lot and have given it four stars. Woodward uses different intonations for different characters. You come to understand who is speaking just by the intonation. The intonation of Sir Horace, the father of Sophy, is marvelous. The intonations capture well the characters’ personae. He said through shut teeth: 'I think I told you once before, cousin, that we did very well here before you came to upset all of our comfort!'

And far from alienating me, it makes me love this story even more. She still is an amazing character. She still inspires me. But she no longer feels like a character on a pedestal. I can see her without the hero worship. And she is a darling! Regency romance novels often feature heroines who are capable and often have to take their destiny into their own hands. But Sophia Stanton-Lacy beats them all. Growing up in Spain and Portugal during wartime, Sophy's education largely dispensed with the useless and unnecessary restrictions placed on women. When she reaches an age to get married, her father leaves her with her aunt in England.Clearly Sophy can't let this sad state of affairs continue & mayhem follows, till everyone gets their happy ending! Heyer has created her most delightful character in Sophia, who is just the right mixture of elegance and spunky. She fits in right into English society as she did in the Spanish one, and refuses to be cowed down by conventions that don't suit her. There is little passion between her and her romantic interest, but that is more than made up by a steady friendship and intense trust. Not a typical romantic novel fodder, but you can see the two living happily together. Sophy Stanton-Lacy is a tall, well-endowed girl quite unlike your typical heroine, regency or otherwise. She is blunt, forceful, and unusually creative in her attempts of making people happy. Her very forcefulness sets her apart, as does her delightful ability with a gun and horsemanship. I loved how she remained...somehow feminine, despite her unusual behavior and, frankly, appearance. She was much better than Arabella, displaying none of that character's silly behavior, but just as likeable. He looked amused. “My dear Eugenia, I hope you never will, for I shall certainly refuse such a request! You could never hold my horses.”

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment