276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Braiding Sweetgrass: Indigenous Wisdom, Scientific Knowledge and the Teachings of Plants

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Somehow, all the pecan trees in a whole state will withhold seeds for years on end, until they all, one year, decide it's time. As the perpetrators of the war zone on this road, are we not bound to heal the wounds that we inflict? It divorces our mental calculations from our intuitive, emotional, and biological embeddedness in the matrix of life That split allows us passively to acquiesce in the preparations for our own demise. Listening, standing witness, creates an openness to the world in which boundaries between us can dissolve in a raindrop.

This word is used frequently in Kimmerer's 32 essays, and it echoes in my heart and mind days after reading the collection. She is the author of numerous scientific articles, and the book Gathering Moss: A Natural and Cultural History of Mosses. She blends the mind, body and soul in a holistic perspective that celebrates the beauty of the natural world and warns against the continuing destruction humans are waging on it.I would have liked to read just about Sweetgrass and the customs surrounding it, to read just about her journey as a Native American scientist and professor, or to read just about her experiences as a mother.

Braiding Sweetgrass blew my head apart, and along with that, decimated the carefully constructed guard walls around my heart.And don’t get me started on Kimmerer’s references to Skywoman and Nanabozho as “immigrants,” or her uncomfortable references to the Ojibwe stories about a cannibal monster.

Paying attention acknowledges that we have something to learn from intelligences other than our own. Paul and I haven’t finished the book yet but it’s totally beautiful, captivating informative, sweet (smiley moments of sweetness), with great ancestor-tales side by side with scientific details and poetic language …. She tries to make readers feel guilty for not helping salamanders cross the road to safety, not cleaning up polluted lakes, and stealing land from Native Americans.But when he encounters a golf ball there, hit from a nearby course, he wonders if he should remove it. For more details, please consult the latest information provided by Royal Mail's International Incident Bulletin.

So, even though she wants to make her visiting daughters this meal that would remind them of childhood meals they made together in spring, she puts them back, tucks them back into the earth, and leaves. Consequently, when she preaches against the evils of consumer culture, trying to convince her suburban middle-class, college-educated, predominantly white readers to curtail their compulsive consumption of luxury goods, she seems oblivious to how little financial or material wealth Indians possess in the first place. And even then, I do not believe that 7+ billion people can live sustainably on this planet, no matter how devoted to the earth each person may be. It is the way she captures beauty that I love the most—the images of giant cedars and wild strawberries, a forest in the rain and a meadow of fragrant sweetgrass will stay with you long after you read the last page.In Braiding Sweetgrass, Kimmerer brings these two lenses of knowledge together to take us on “a journey that is every bit as mythic as it is scientific, as sacred as it is historical, as clever as it is wise” (Elizabeth Gilbert).

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment