276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Out of Human Sight: A Historical Mystery

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Sophie added: “I’ve written both fiction and non-fiction ever since I was tiny, making ‘books’ with childhood friends before moving on to writing about music and interviewing my favourite musicians for magazines from the age of 15.

Sophie is an Associate Lecturer at Sheffield Hallam University, teaching on both BA and MA Creative Writing programmes. She is also a frequent facilitator of creative writing workshops in the community, leading workshops for The Portico Library, Saddleworth Literature Festival, The Tameside Health and Wellbeing College, and Tameside Libraries, amongst others. She also founded and continues to run Mossley Writers and in 2021 won an Arts Council England grant for The Tameside WordShop, a year-long programme of creative writing workshops for Tameside writers.

Search by keyword

The real-world case provided what I see as a springboard for a whole new story that hopefully will still feel familiar for local readers.” I’m originally from Banbury in Oxfordshire but came up to Manchester for my English degree at the University of Manchester in 2003 - I’ve been here ever since, moving to Mossley in 2015.”

The plot itself is perfectly paced keeps you engaged through out. As I already said the characters are believable and incredibly human. You cannot help but feel for Millie who seems to be sent from one situation to another but manages to deal with these in the best way she can under the societal constraints of her time. I found her the sort of heroine that the Brontes may have created and her tale echoes that of the popular Bildungsroman of their time seeing our heroine face the struggles of growing from adolescence to adulthood and navigating the world around her. As soon as they are married, Johnny drops the bombshell of his ‘gift’ to his new wife. They are to emigrate to the Canadas the following week. Millie doesn’t want to leave her family, her work, her friends and the only life she has ever known. But a husband’s decision is final and Millie soon finds herself on board a ship from Liverpool. In this talk, writer, Sophie Parkes, presents how she came to learn about the tale upon moving to the area in 2015, and how she worked with the folklore of this crime to develop her novel, Out of Human Sight. Despite the fact that the initial horrific act takes place right at the start of the book, it did take me a few days to get into Out of Human Sight. But once the bombshell of the couple’s move to Canada had hit, I couldn’t stop reading!A graduate of the University of Manchester and the Manchester Writing School, Manchester Metropolitan University, Sophie Parkes is currently studying for a PhD in creative writing and folklore at Sheffield Hallam University, for which she won a Vice Chancellor’s Scholarship. Sophie researched the known facts of the case, including the permanent exhibit at Saddleworth Museum in Uppermill, but the story of Out of Human Sight is her own invention.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment