276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Furniture Paint, for Furniture in Shabby Chic Style, Colour: Antique Gold, 250 ml

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

I found a dated gold mirror at a church sale not long ago and I knew it would look fabulous with a coat of paint. This month, I’ve joined my blogger friends from The At Home DIY group for another fun challenge. As the theme is “update with paint”, I will show you how to update a gold mirror with chalk paint. Apply Annie Sloan Gilding Wax in two colours (e.g. Bright Gold and Warm Gold) building up the wax in layers for an authentic, uneven look. Many thanks to Eileen from Just Measuring Up and Megan from Two Feet First for hosting this challenge. Wipe away any sanding dust and apply a final coat of Clear Chalk Paint™ Wax. This will seal and protect this piece.

So now I’m ready to wax. This is my Clear Wax and this is my Wax Brush, this is a bristle brush it’s nice and pointy and it goes in all the little bits that I need, to all the nooks and crannies. So you get quite a lot of wax on it, not too much – you don’t want to overload it – and then you get going. Once dry, add a coat of Clear Chalk Paint™ Wax. You can do this with a lint-free cloth but a Chalk Paint™ Wax Brush will make it easy to get into any carvings or details. Rub n’ Buff is not recommended for outdoor use as it is not waterproof and may deteriorate when exposed to moisture. Can I Use Rub n’ Buff on Metal for an Antique Gold Finish? Not sure how much Gilding Wax you need? Annie Sloan Gilding Wax has concentrated metallic colour for extended coverage – in every tube there’s enough wax to cover a standard dining room chair – approximately 1.7 square metres. Each piece of furniture you can’t just go from rule of thumb. I’d start with a medium and then maybe go on to the coarse one. So I’m just going to gently sand that and work out how far I want to go. Now I find I’m having to rub harder than I want, so I want more to come out so I’m going to use the coarse one now. And very gently – shouldn’t be hard – do you see what’s happened? It’s revealed some of the Giverny there. So I’m going to go more

Decorative & Brushes

It’s all looking good but what I’m going to add is a second colour, which I’ll sort of use to highlight and slightly blend in. So I’m going to put it throughout the centre part, I think. Not everywhere, just in parts and not equally. Don’t get it too balanced. Otherwise, it’s too predictable. If it’s too flat, you don’t get that lovely authentic uneven look.

If you love the gilded look, but are nervous about gilding with gold leaf, look no further. This technique couldn’t be easier with the help of Annie Sloan Gilding Wax. Gold, copper or silver – choose a metallic to match your chosen Chalk Paint® colour and then all you need to apply the wax is a lint-free cloth or a small brush. For this particular technique, Annie used two gilding wax colours – a lighter gold on the raised areas and darker in the recesses – for a more three-dimensional or contoured look. Gilding Wax is particularly good for bringing out ornate carvings and mouldings, enhancing texture and detailing. You can use it on furniture, but you might want to try it on decorative items such as a lamp base or picture frame too. Step by step guide to using gilding wax on furniture Some of you won’t want to use your finger. I like it because it’s sensitive, but you could put a cloth over it, or you could use a brush. It’s just that you have to be a little bit more sensitive to it, but it’s fine. It’s your choice. Rub n’ Buff’s European Gold has a brighter, more yellow tone, while Antique Gold has a warmer, more brown tone. Antique Gold is better suited for creating an aged, antique look. Can I Mix Rub n’ Buff Colors to Achieve an Antique Gold Finish? To use the chalk paint on upholstery, evenly spray the fabric with water, and brush on the chalk paint (you may want to dilute it slightly). If necessary, apply a second or third coat of paint to get the desired effect. You can successfully transform a side chair or even an entire sofa with this chalk paint in minutes. Dust can prevent paint from adhering to upholstery, so be sure to clean and vacuum the surface before beginning. The paint is free of chemicals like phthalates, formaldehyde, or heavy metals and comes in 4-, 16-, and 32-ounce containers, so you can choose the right size for your needs.Allow the wax to cure (harden) before use. It will be touch dry within 24 hours, but will take up to 2 weeks to fully harden. You can use it during this time, just be gentle.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment