276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Layla and other assorted love songs

£3.495£6.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Gill, Andy (18 March 2011). "Album: Derek and the Dominos, Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs, 40th Anniversary Deluxe Edition (Universal)". The Independent. London. Arts & Ents section . Retrieved 19 February 2012. Another example is Boston. The band’s first two albums are arguably their best. Their third one is different from the first two and I like it but I like the first two better for several reasons such as the over all sound of the album, the lyrics and the subject of the songs. It was the true fusion of American blues and jazz with The British Invasion," Layla executive producer Tom Dowd told me in 1992. (He passed away a decade later.) "Here we had two different cultures coming together—the common denominator being the old blues masters— and instead of clashing, their styles met head on. And it kept on growing, like top seed."

Even if features were rarely credited at the time, his guitar was often a predominant element on songs he contributed to. The lower and lower momentum, on top of a market going downhill, so his recent albums sell less and less. He again rebounded with The Breeze, a tribute to JJ Cale with a cast of guests which features John Mayer, Mark Knopfler, Tom Petty and Willie Nelson. Love lost, unattainable love, forbidden love, heartbreak, obsession, infatuation, envy, pleas for understanding... and expressing all this in a musical statement. Derek and the Dominos went on tour to support Layla and performances from the October–December 1970 US tour were released in January 1973 on In Concert. Allman never toured with Derek and the Dominos, but made two guest appearances with them: on 1 December 1970 at the Curtis Hixon Hall in Tampa ( Soul Mates bootleg LP) and the following day at Onondaga County War Memorial in Syracuse, New York.

a b "Review: Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs". Q. No.122. EMAP Metro Ltd. November 1996. p.147.

Layla also flopped critically, [17] according to Shapiro: "As with Eric's first solo album, the reviewers liked the guitars-on-fire-stuff … but regarded the [love songs] as little more than fluff." [25] Writing in Melody Maker, Roy Hollingworth opined that the songs ranged "from the magnificent to a few lengths of complete boredom", and specified: "We have Hendrix's 'Little Wing' played with such spreading beauty that Jimi would surely have clapped till his hands bled, and then we have 'I Am Yours' … a bossa that novas in pitiful directions." While he identified portions of "pretty atrocious vocal work", Hollingworth considered Layla to be "far more musical" than Eric Clapton, and praised Clapton and Allman for "giv[ing] about every superb essay possible on the playing of the electric guitar". [26] Writing in Saturday Review magazine, Ellen Sander described it as "pointless and boring" and "a basket case of an album", and said that Clapton had "all but blown his musical credibility". Grouping the Dominos album with recent releases by Bob Dylan, the Beatles and Stephen Stills, Sander added, "It's [Clapton's] instincts, not his talents, that are out of synch, and he is certainly not alone, nor by any means the worst offender, in depositing garbage into the vault of a guaranteed personal audience." [27] In a more favourable review for Rolling Stone, Ed Leimbacher noted the album's " filler" material but added that "what remains is what you hoped for from the conjunction of Eric's developing style, the Delaney and Bonnie styled rhythm section, and the strengths of 'Skydog' Allman's session abilities." [28] Leimbacher found Clapton's singing "always at least adequate, and sometimes quite good" and concluded, "forget any indulgences and filler – it's still one hell of an album." [28] British album certifications – Derek & the Dominos – Layla & Other Assorted Love Songs". British Phonographic Industry . Retrieved 23 June 2021.a b DeCurtis, Anthony (27 January 2005). "Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs". Rolling Stone . Retrieved 19 February 2012. When Clapton was asked about the acoustic version of the song by the MTV Network, he replied: "'Layla' sort of mystified me. I have done it the same all these years and never ever considered trying to revamp it. And a lot of artists do that, you know? Bob Dylan for instance changes everything everytime he plays it and I thought this was another great opportunity to just take it off on a different path, to put it to a shuffle and for a start, making it acoustic denied all the riffs, really. They would have sounded a bit weak, I think, on the acoustic guitar, so it just seemed to become Jazzier somehow. And of course, I'm singing it a whole octave down. So it gives it a nice kind of atmosphere." [64] Hunter, Dave; Darrin Fox (July 2012). "Fender EC Twinolux and EC Vibro-Champ". Guitar Player. pp.130–33. Reid, Jan (2006). Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs by Derek and the Dominos. New York, NY: Rodale. ISBN 978-1-59486-369-1. Behind this fantastic top 3, the gap is big, with Blues Breakers, Eric Clapton, 461 Ocean Boulevard, and Journeyman being the remaining relevant performers, each with about 2 million sales.

This section needs additional citations for verification. Please help improve this article by adding citations to reliable sourcesin this section. Unsourced material may be challenged and removed. ( December 2018) ( Learn how and when to remove this template message) Campbell, Hernan M. (23 May 2012). "Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs". Sputnikmusic . Retrieved 5 November 2015. The 15 September 1993, Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab 24-kt limited edition gold CD release, 20-bit remastering; Of course, it wouldn't be fair to put all the glory on Clapton's shoulders here: as I said above, this is one of these albums that honor the word "supergroup" better than any other around, where they are generally just a collection of names. It takes so much space that one could expect other albums to do poorly, but Slowhand is amazing on its own, eclipsing the 20 million barrier. Rush, home of Tears In Heaven, records over 12 million sales.Lethal Weapon 3 brought a duo of interesting duets. It’s Probably Me with Sting sold over 400,000 copies, being especially big in France, while Runaway Train with Elton John did 275,000.

a b "Derek and the Dominos – Layla". Dutch Top 40 (in Dutch). Netherlands: Top 40 . Retrieved 2 January 2016. Robbins, Ira (10 April 1990). "Rev. of The Layla Sessions". Rolling Stone . Retrieved 15 December 2009. British single certifications – Eric Clapton – Layla". British Phonographic Industry . Retrieved 21 April 2023. Hits 1992 USA | Single-Charts | Top 100 Auswertung"[1992 Year-end Single Chart – United States]. Nielsen SoundScan (in German). Chartsurfer.de . Retrieved 29 December 2015.American album certifications – Derek & the Dominos – Layla". Recording Industry Association of America. Wynton Marsalis & Eric Clapton play the blues" [sic] (LIVE FROM JAZZ AT LINCOLN CENTER). (2011, Rhino Entertainment Company, a Warner Music Group Company). jake s. "115: Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs, Derek and the Dominos". The RS 500 Greatest Albums of All Time. Rolling Stone. Archived from the original on 4 December 2009 . Retrieved 16 December 2009.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment