276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Island: The million-copy Number One bestseller 'A moving and absorbing holiday read'

£4.995£9.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

After being alone for a long time, one starts to listen differently, to perceive the organic and the unexpected all around, to brush against all the incomprehensible beauty of the material. But the lamp has to be filled every evening, it mustn’t burn out. One can’t afford to be afraid in October. Fear of being afraid. Danger comes with the autumn storms. True storms that won’t abate at sundown, that can cut the island off for ten days, that transform the beaches and rattle the cottage. September drifts into October, and the island becomes impassive and indifferent once again. The last fishing boats sail by into the night and vanish in the ocean with their lights.

For the most part, the kids are downright hostile towards Heather. Regardless, Heather loves Tom and she's willing to dig in to make this work; putting up with the children's petty behavior all the while.

Lifestyle

This book was written to provide some cheap entertainment and that it did to some extent – parts of it dragged and I believe the author should have tried to come up with a better ending. Unsurprisingly, their vacation isn't a magic pill that suddenly transforms them into a happy family. It's actually pretty miserable for all involved. pg 18) "Anyone need the toilet? Fab toilets in here. Heather? Looks like you gambled a little on a fart and lost, no?" In a sea of mediocre thrillers this year, The Island stands head and shoulders above the rest with so many satisfying twists, thrills and characters that you just know someone is going to make it into a movie. But I think the movie would have a tough time living up to prose as good as this. My highest recommendation — even if you, like me, don’t tend to love survivalist stories I highly recommend you give these wonderful characters a try. I had more fun reading this than any book I’ve read in quite awhile. However, there was a bit of an anti-climax to the ending that didn’t fit quite with the adrenaline pumping storytelling and fast pace in the rest of the book. The ‘why’ was a weakness to the story, plus the unlikely set of circumstances woven into the plot which is what brought it down to a 4 stars.

I always wanted to go to Greece in literature and now I have. Let me tell you, it was worth the trip in this story too. But life can be disappointing at times. This was one of the worst written books I have read in a long time. Chunks of unnecessarty exposition, character motivations eplained to the nth degree, dialogue avoided like...well, like it was leprosy. Hold onto your butts, because this story gets violent, grimy, dehydrating and over-the-top. It's quite fun.Elle découvrait l'héroisme derriere l'humiliation, lá passion derriere la perfidie, l'amour derriere lá lépre."

One day before dusk a rain curtain falls on the sea. For a few hours, the colors recover their luster and liveliness, the landscape pulls itself together and becomes voluptuous. Through an exceedingly-excruciating list of bad choices and uncomfortable familial tension, the family has a bit of an accident. Ultimately ending with them having to make a terrible choice. The atmosphere was perfectly captured with very cleverly written paragraphs, sometimes short and sharp, sometimes more vivid in the descriptions but all the time sinister, menacing and spine tingling. The Palanese also circumspectly incorporated the use of " moksha medicine", a fictional entheogen taken ceremonially in rites of passage for mystical and cosmological insight. The moksha mushroom is described as "yellow" and not "those lovely red toadstools", e.g. the Amanita muscaria; this description of the moksha medicine is suggestive of Psilocybe mushrooms, a psychoactive that captivated Huxley during the latter half of his life. The recommended dosage of 400mg, however, is in the dosage range of mescaline as opposed to psilocybin. Huxley had also been fascinated towards the end of his life by the potential benefit to humanity of substances such as mescaline and LSD. Brave New World and most of Huxley's other books were written before he first tried a psychedelic drug in 1953. [5] Embarking on a working vacation in Australia with her new family, she is hopeful this might be the answer to bringing them all closer together as they share this new adventure. After they make the mistake of bribing their way onto a privately owned island to see sought after animal life - and run by a close-knit, secretive family that does not take kindly to strangers snooping around - they never could have imagined that life as they knew it would change in ways not even nightmares are made of.The culture of Pala is the offspring of a Scottish secular humanist medical doctor, who made a medical visit to the island in the 19th century and decided to stay and work with its Raja, who embodies the island's Mahayana Buddhist tradition, to create a society that merges the best of East and West. The Old Raja's treatise, Notes on What's What, is a book within the book that explains Pala's philosophical foundations.

Reporter Blair Maynard smells a story, a big story. Hundreds of boats have disappeared in the same section of the Bahamas along with their two thousand plus passengers, and mysteriously, no one seems to be alarmed. This is a historical novel set in Crete and in particular the island of Spinalonga, a leper colony which opened at the beginning of the Century. This book is like getting postcards from all the places you have never been to and now don't want to. For Home is gone and it is now in every one of those places you will never visit. a b c d e Rigopoulos, Dimitris (27 January 2010). "Mega takes on 'The Island' ". Kathimerini . Retrieved 8 October 2010.This book was bonkers crazy characters a bit unrealistic but fast paced, I never want to go to the island!!! Over the next thirty years, Kani and Ntshona periodically performed in productions of the play. Notable among them were the Royal National Theatre in 2000, [3] reported at the time as their final production, although they went on to star at the Old Vic in 2002 [4] and the Brooklyn Academy of Music in 2004. [5] Plot [ edit ] This article needs additional citations for verification. Please help improve this article by adding citations to reliable sources. Unsourced material may be challenged and removed. Everything is turned outward in calm contemplation of familiar things whose uninterrupted transformations create a remarkable feeling of comfort and suspense. Kelbie, Paul (8 March 2007). "Kay and Gervais in running for book award". The Independent. Archived from the original on 3 March 2009 . Retrieved 7 March 2008.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment