276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Book of Runes

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

I'd rather learn about the runes actual meanings, but at the end of the day that wasn't the intent of this book. Likewise, the 17th rune, Tiwaz, shares its significance with the North Star as an aid to navigation and charting life's path.

Fries’s book is a thoughtful, perhaps even “existential” guide to the runes in the context of, in the book’s words, “pagan nature religion. Illustrated with a range of beautiful objects that show the runic inscriptions in context, Runes provides a glimpse into the languages and cultures of Europeans over a thousand years ago. People who take concepts like “objectivity,” “subjectivity,” and “bias” at face value often live in a world that’s no less fantastical than those of the “New Agers” they (often rightly) love to criticize.Mr Blum has written an impeccable, user friendly and easy to understand the how to begin using the runes, what I love about this book is not only does he take you into the spiritual realm of the runes, but the mundane realm as well and upright and reversed readings as well, he also included a chapter on making your own runes and the history of the runes. This kind of “stick to the facts” approach is, in and of itself, just a sacred cow of modern positivism, and doesn’t stand up to the trial by fire of the world as we actually perceive and experience it. On the other hand, Blum is honest about what he's doing and that the form of divination he's invented is one that's based on intuition. Neptunian “events” are generally those that entangle the individual in a situation to whose implications he is in some way blind. The Rune Primer is probably the only book on rune magic out there where the author goes out of his or her way to separate factual information from the sources on the one hand and intuitive insights on the other, and to eschew the latter in favor of the former as much as possible.

Versatile Usage - Each rune and sigil can be used for personal artwork, tattoos, and magical purposes. In mythology, a strange, androgynous figure, keeper of the keys to knowledge, Mercury carried messages between the gods and between gods and humanity. the onset of power may be such as to rip away the fabric of what you previously knew as your reality ( Blum, p.This book should be required reading for anyone of a more traditionalist bent, and even those who aren’t of that persuasion will likely find it to be an inspiring and profitable read. Then, to add insult to injury, Blum knocked off whole chunks from a well-known text, published four years earlier, that deals with a different subject – as if he’d made the assumption that his readers would never suspect, whether due to not reading deeply or widely or simply not remembering. Drawing it indicates a pressing need within the psyche to break free from constricting identification with material reality and to experience the world of archetypal mind. Uncover the long-held prophetic practice of rune-reading with this comprehensive set, offering essential advice on both the practical configuration of runes and the psychological intuitiveness of their interpretations. Nor, at the other end of the spectrum of the expectations people usually bring to the runes, does it offer prepackaged rituals, spells, etc.

Since the runes are a vital part of the pre-Christian northern European mythology, worldview, and spiritual practice, I thought it would be fitting and helpful to provide some recommendations in this field. But it seems wrong to take historic/culturally charged runes and not try and find the historical ties and meanings they belong to. When Herodotus traveled around the Black Sea, he encountered descendants of Scythian tribesmen who crawled under blankets, smoked themselves into a stupor, and then cast stones in the air and read them when they fell. Blum's book is an excellent resource as well and I wouldn't hesitate for a moment in recommending it. Ralph Blum was not trying to put forth a correct, much less a traditional, understanding of the Elder Futhark.And if you’re looking for a pan-Germanic approach, you’ll certainly find that here, too, even if Pollington doesn’t go into as much detail about the other areas of the Germanic world. For while the sun strives for differentiation, the moon draws us toward unity and merging ( Blum, p. I found his general commentary on divination, and his history/pronunciation/list of traditional meanings for the runes helpful and enjoyable. So, armed with a brand new set of Viking Runes, I am prepared to do battle in the war of self-change. I'd been curious about runes since I watched a rune reading about a month ago, so that definitely piqued my interest!

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment