276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Lyme Bay Christmas Pudding Wine 75cl

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

I made this Mulled Wine Christmas Pudding for a family meal last weekend and we had it with lots of custard. It was truly divine and everyone loved it. Custard works particularly well with this pudding. If you can't resist the brandy butter try a 10 or 20 year old tawny port which is slightly less sweet than a ruby port like a Late Bottled Vintage and I think the nutty, treacley flavours work better than brambley ones. Serve it as they do in Portugal, lightly chilled. Well, this is precisely why I’ve come up with a very Christmassy, citrus and spicy, mulled wine topped, alternative Christmas pudding! Better still but slightly pricier and harder-to-find would be a Passito di Pantelleria, a glorious marmaladey dessert wine from an island just off Sicily or a Hungarian Tokaji (the latter is also a particularly good match for Stilton and other blue cheeses).

For dishes with smoky, cheesy flavours, light Tempranillos, Italian reds or soft Malbecs may be better.Orange and lemon: we use all of the zest and juice from both. This ensures a lovely citrus twang throughout our Mulled Wine Christmas Pudding.

Camembert is easier, with Rioja Reserva and Chu00e2teauneuf-du-Pape the best choices, closely followed by red Burgundy or other Pinot Noirs. The best Christmas puddings were moist, contained a generous amount of nuts and fruit and were full of festive flavour - without being overpowering. Our tasters found a few that were a bit too boozy and a little dry.

Email sent

When it comes to those luxury after-dinner milk and dark chocolate truffles, port is the ultimate wine to serve. Tawny Port is a lighter style of the famous Portuguese fortified wine, displaying flavours of toffee and caramel, and even its own chocolate notes after a little ageing. This type of Port is best for milk chocolate treats (or sugary chocolate cakes like yule logs) and also fantastic with Christmas Pudding. Deep and juicy Ruby Port, on the other hand, is for your dark chocolates and more bitter desserts. The Fonseca Quinta do Panascal is a Reserve Ruby that’s seen a little ageing, displaying notes of rich plum fruit and sweet spice that would go beautifully with a dark chocolate torte. Sweet Sherry Next, I recommend you weigh everything out in readiness, it just makes life easier and, if you are like me(!), prevents any ingredients from being forgotten. Gary Cleland (24 November 2007). "Home-made Christmas puddings die out". The Telegraph. Archived from the original on 12 January 2022 . Retrieved 30 December 2010.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment