276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Sigma 745101 150 - 600 mm F5 - 6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary Canon Mount Lens, Black

£424.5£849.00Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Both lenses come with tripod collars that feature magnesium alloy mounting feet. However, while the complete ring is removable with the Contemporary lens, the more heavy-duty assembly for the Sports lens only enables you to remove the mounting foot. The ring and its stub are therefore permanently attached to the lens. Along with the extra size of the Sports lens, this requires more stowage space. With such a huge zoom range, this is two lenses in one. It can replace both a 70-200mm and a 200-600mm superzoom all in one lens. It has an aperture with a range of f/5-f/22. This includes one FLD element and 3 SLD elements. Along with that, it includes a multi-layer coating with a hypersonic motor AF system. Is Sigma 150-600mm Contemporary Weather Sealed? C: Sigma’s “Contemporary” series. Basically, it distinguishes it from its “Art” and “Sports” ranges. Overall, the Contemporary series lenses are more designed for general everyday photography, with their own combination of price, optical performance, speed, portability, and versatility. The Art series leans more heavily on optical performance and is less worried about things like focusing speed. While the Sports series aims for, well, sports, but also nature and wildlife photography. The categories are more useful in marketing than in practice, but when there’s overlap in the focal lengths, the Art and Sports options tend to be more expensive, with the Contemporary series aiming more for the enthusiast end of the market.

Although Tamron pioneered the release of the first 150-600mm lens, Sigma followed suit by releasing two versions of lenses with exactly the same focal length and aperture ranges. The smaller and lighter version, the Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary (the one we are reviewing today), targets the same market as the Tamron 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Di VC USD, while the much larger and heavier “Sport” version is something unique to Sigma, with no other equivalent competing offers from any other manufacturer. DG: Designed for digital. But that’s not quite all there is to it. Basically it means that it works on full-frame cameras. Sigma uses DC for lenses designed specifically for cameras with APS-C sized sensors like Nikon’s DX cameras. DG lenses will work on full-frame, APS-C, and film cameras. DC lenses will only work on APS-C cropped sensors. Sigma has its DN lenses, which are for mirrorless micro4/3 cameras. But this lens will also work well on a cropped sensor cameras like Nikon’s DX range, in which case it transforms it into a staggering 225-900mm equivalent. That air is tough to keep from cycling through the elements over time. So weather sealing could be important. Take the money you save to buy a flight to Iceland, then after you come home, go to a good pet store and buy yourself a chihuahua (Seriously. WHAT is with the Chihuahua obsession in this review? I gotta get to bed…)One factor to consider, however, is that supertelephoto lenses are the most common type of lens to have issues with dust, humidity, or other elements getting in the lens. Here is where the comparison gets tougher, as both lenses are much sharper at the shorter focal lengths, and both are softer at the longer focal lengths. Both are sharper when stopped down to f/8 or f/9, than wide open. In my opinion, the difference in image quality between the two is negligible. There is no clear winner here, both having areas where they are slightly better than the other. Just a note before I talk about sharpness, I only used this lens mounted to the crop-sensor Sigma sd Quattro. In images from a full-frame camera, and with just about any lens, you can expect sharpness to fall off more in the corners due to showing the lens' full image circle. The framing in a crop sensor image is more concentrated on the sharpest spot at the center of the lens. At the longer end, or rather when focusing from close to far, you start to see a noticeable lag in the focus speed–especially on the Sport version.

Sports photographers would probably never use them, but sometimes wildlife photographers use a polarizer to cut the reflections and glare off leaves. Now, dive in and get ready to know several aspects. What is the Difference Between Sigma Art, Sports Lens, and Contemporary? Sigma Art 35mm-F1.4-DG-HSM-A Sigma Sport 500mm-F4-DG-OS-HSM-S Sigma Contemporary 100-400mm-F5-6.3-DG-OS-HSM-C Source: sigmaphoto.com This lens will work quite well for casual sports or wildlife photography. But if you’re earning income from those types of shooting and your budget extends to it, the other model that Sigma puts out, its 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sports Lens, offers faster focusing and better optics, but also comes in a larger, heavier lens with a higher price tag. What’s in the Box? Sigma divides its Global Vision lenses into three separate categories. Contemporary lenses aim to keep the size and weight down to easily manageable levels, Art lenses go all out for maximizing freedom of creative expression, whereas Sports lenses (as their name suggests) emphasize speedy performance. When it comes to build quality, Contemporary lenses tend to have a more consumer or prosumer feel to them, where as Art and Sports lenses have a more pro-grade construction. To my mind, this is the weakest area of this lens. I simply didn’t find the vibration reduction system to work very well at all. It simply doesn’t seem to be the right match for the focal length.Astonishingly my Canon EOSR with EF Adapter reads lens correction data and corrects automatically for falloff (peripheral illumination), lateral color fringes (chromatic aberration), distortion and diffraction. You can turn each of these ON or OFF in various ways. My Canon 5DS/R doesn't have the ability to correct distortion; that's a limitation of this model camera.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment